Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Porter

Port Information

  • Submitted: Sep 23 2011 04:04 AM
  • Last Updated: Jan 27 2013 09:19 PM
  • Views: 9159
  • Downloads: 660

Wrapper Type & Video Card Compatibility

  • Wrapper Type: DOSBox

Wrapper Type Info

Note:
Wrappers have different Mac OS X compatibility!

Wineskin:   10.610.710.810.9
Cider:          10.610.710.810.9
CXZ/CXEx:  10.610.710.810.9

What is WINE & what is a Wrapper?

Video Card Info

 GREY          = not tested
 GREEN        = fully playable
 YELLOW     = playable with minor glitches
 ORANGE     = playable with some effort
 RED             = severe glitches / unplayable

Download this Classic X-COM - UFO Defense aka UFO: Enemy Unknown

- - - - - Please vote for the Quality of this Port / Wrapper, not for the Game or Application!




Screenshots
Game Description:
UFO: Enemy Unknown (later released under the title X-COM: UFO Defense in the United States and Japan, and also as X-Com: Enemy Unknown on the Sony Playstation) is a critically acclaimed strategy video game created by Julian Gollop and published by MicroProse Software in 1994. It is the first entry in the X-COM series and is often regarded by critics and in polls as one of the best video games ever made.

Personal Notes:
Classic Series.

Plot:
The story of X-COM begins in 1998. The initial plot centers around increased reports of UFO sightings. Tales of abduction and rumors of attacks by the unknown aliens become widespread. The nations of the world come to perceive this as a threat and attempt to form their own forces to deal with this, such as Japan's Kiryu-Kai force; these forces fail miserably, the Kiryu-Kai not intercepting a single UFO in its five months of operation. On December 11, 1998, representatives from some of the most powerful nations in the world meet in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss the issue. From this meeting was born the secret paramilitary organization Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (X-COM), over which the player assumes control at the start of the game.

The player manages X-COM throughout the game, battling aliens. As the game progresses, the player learns more and more about the enemy, their species, sub-species, mutated creations and technology. It is revealed that the aliens are led by creatures of immense mental power called Ethereals, and that their main base is located on Mars, in a region known as Cydonia. It is up to the player to fully prepare the final assault team, attack Cydonia and destroy the mastermind behind the alien invasion, the Alien Brain.

Port Info:
Full CD version - OSXDosBoxWrapper Port using DosBox 0.74 - Game manuals have been included.

Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Mac OS X 10.4.11, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard / Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard / Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- CPU: Intel Core Processor (May work on PPC)
- RAM: 512 MB
- Video: nVidia 8xxx Series or AMD 3xxx or 4xxx Series Video Card recommended
- about 50 megs of Hard Drive Space required

Known Issues:
Not yet tested on Macs with GMA 950 Chipsets though it should work.

Installation:
Mount the .DMG Drag the X-COM.app to your App Folder (or wherever) - click and play.

Screenshots:

Image Image Image


Game Videos:

Gameplay:





Thanks waves, I always hear about this game but never tried it. Is this the best one in the series?

blackphoton said:

Thanks waves, I always hear about this game but never tried it. Is this the best one in the series?

My opinion yes.  :)
Re-uploaded on this date.
Please re-upload this! I really want to play it
Same! Would love a reupload
Re-uploaded on this date.
Hi Waves. Thank you so much for this port, it works like a charm :D Anyway, I'm experiencing problems with the sound effects, the music works perfectly but there is no sound, neither in menus nor combat.

Do you know what entries in the dosbox.conf do I have to edit? I'm running OSX Mountain Lion.

Regards and thank you.

emenegro, on 13 June 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Hi Waves. Thank you so much for this port, it works like a charm :D Anyway, I'm experiencing problems with the sound effects, the music works perfectly but there is no sound, neither in menus nor combat.

Do you know what entries in the dosbox.conf do I have to edit? I'm running OSX Mountain Lion.

Regards and thank you.
Well, solved. I have my DOS skills a little bit rusted but I entered in setup and I've configured the card. Now it is OK.

Regards!
Hi Waves.

I'm using OSX 10.8, and the game is running in a smaller window. Can I put it on full screen? The other issue is that during a mission the mouse scroll is incredible fast, I cannot stop it untill it scrolls out tho the boarder. Do you have any idea for that?

Thanks a lot.
Hi!
I used to play xcom enemy unknown on mac with a different file, "UFO Enemy Unknown (universal).dmg" .  Everything worked great except this bug that wouldn't let me enter any alien base...
This one was promising but it runs way too fast for my mac! I can't even intercept an UFO in "5s" mode. Is there a way to somehow slow the game down?

acrone, on 07 July 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Hi Waves.

I'm using OSX 10.8, and the game is running in a smaller window. Can I put it on full screen? The other issue is that during a mission the mouse scroll is incredible fast, I cannot stop it untill it scrolls out tho the boarder. Do you have any idea for that?

Thanks a lot.
Hi! right click on the x com icon, and choose "show package content" than go to resource folder. open the dosbox.config file with the tex edit app. Search for this "fullscreen=false" just change it to true and close it. after that you get full screen at least.

Lacaba86, on 05 September 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

Hi! right click on the x com icon, and choose "show package content" than go to resource folder. open the dosbox.config file with the tex edit app. Search for this "fullscreen=false" just change it to true and close it. after that you get full screen at least.

Hey, trying to do so (same as Alt+Enter), but app crashed right after going to fullscreen.
MacOS 10.11.6



9 user(s) are online (in the past 15 minutes)

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users


lawrenceYman