• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hey Community!

I’ve decided to put some work into a Wineskin wrapper designed specifically for Steam for Windows. It’s called Steamliner, and I’ve just made it available in the Port Database for download, and I can use your help.

The goal with Steamliner is to create one lightweight Wineskin wrapper which supports a wide number of Windows games in Steam with only the necessary libraries installed.

I own a desktop Windows box in addition to all my Apple hardware, and being away from home this summer I’ve wanted to play many of my Windows games on my MacBook. We have all these wrappers for different Windows games — and it’s great — but seeing how many of the games I’m playing are on Steam, it seems silly to have a wrapper for each game, especially when each wrapper eats up valuable space on my hard drive.

What’s Next
I need your help testing games with this wrapper. I want to have a definitive list of working games. Right now I’d like to focus on Windows-only games (as we should already be able to play the Mac versions natively) but even so, anything that works can be documented. And perhaps there are games that would work with the right libraries — in which case, tell me what you did to get it to work.

The goal is not to necessarily support every game, but a large number of games. (Again, the fewer Steam wrappers installed on our machines, the happier we’ll be.) If games you have work, let me know here in this thread. If you get them working with additional libraries, let me know here too. (I have close to 200 games on Steam, but that sill leaves a lot out there to test!)

#2 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Tested Games
  • Aquaria
  • Awesomenauts
  • Blood Bowl (series)
  • Conquest of Elysium 3
  • Deus Ex (GOTY)
  • Disciple II (series)
  • Divine Divinity
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Greed Corp
  • Mount & Blade (series)
  • One Way Tactics
  • Receiver
  • Spelunky (HD)
  • Terraria
Known Issues
  • Steam Web Helper occasionally crashes on startup.
  • Steam overlay is disabled as it isn’t compatible with Wineskin out-of-the-box.
  • Some games on launch may get the false positive error “unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application” but otherwise run fine.
  • Blood Bowl series of games:
    • The video for the initial cinematic is black and cannot be seen, and the game cannot be played until after the cinematic is finished. Waiting it out seems to work fine, and a setting in the gam controls whether the intro cinematic plays or not.
  • Deus Ex (GOTY)
    • 3D renderer causes video glitches. Use the software renderer only.
  • Divine Divinity
    • 3D renderer causes video glitches. Use the software renderer only.
  • Mount & Blade series
    • When resolution is set to “Use Desktop Resolution” this may make the dock and menu bar visible. Choose a set resolution.
  • One Way Tactics
    • Software renderer gives only a black screen. Use 3D renderer only.
    • Some music doesn’t play.
    • Has trouble re-launching after game has quit.
  • ​Terraria
    • ​The standalone Terraria Server does not work.

#3 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel GMA 950 (Mac Mini);
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
  • I like to play:Retro, Action, Adventure games.
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

This is somewhat a neat idea (I've tried to do it personally and do it every time I want my saves transferred to Steam Cloud), but do take into account these two:
  • Lightweight is something that I really doubt can/might happen considering the fact we want to support many games; in other words, we'll have to install as many "bottles" of packages (DirectX, .NET frameworks). Although it means that less space will be used compared to different wrappers having the same packages installed, so you're right if it ends up taking less space than having many wrappers at once, but prepare for Steamline to be somewhat heavy.
  • Some Windows games will not run on certain graphics cards with the current DirectX-to-OpenGL calls. Quickest example in mind is Prince of Persia with Intel HD graphics; you can inform a user immediately if it works or not if it's in its own wrapper, but you can't do the same for Steam since requirements always vary; the list must be long and the user must carry around, or have in mind, this list. My point is that this wrapper, although helpful for many, isn't for the end-user who just wants a specific game to work since they must know what they're getting.
Those two out of the way, this really should be the standard, so I'm supporting where I can with this.
I must ask, though: does Steam overlay work in this wrapper or must it be disabled as usual?

#4 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your comments!

You’re right, “lightweight” may somewhat be a misnomer here. Also, yes, some games are still heavily dependent on graphics cards. I envision having a table and keeping track of which combinations work and don’t.

I haven’t spent too much time with the Steam overlay, though it would make so much sense to get working right. So yes, it’s currently disabled. It sounds like some folks have had some success rebuilding parts of Wine to get it functional in Ubuntu. Do you know of anyone getting it to work in Wine for Mac?

#5 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

View Postancestral, on 15 September 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

I haven’t spent too much time with the Steam overlay, though it would make so much sense to get working right. So yes, it’s currently disabled. It sounds like some folks have had some success rebuilding parts of Wine to get it functional in Ubuntu. Do you know of anyone getting it to work in Wine for Mac?

I must say, after giving a quick look at your wrapper, you must go quite a way before the wrapper's something proper and final (temp folders not emptied, empty .lproj laying around, an unused .bat file).
I wouldn't worry too much, but, taking these in consideration, there might be stuff that can be removed in the semi-final wrapper, making it less heavy.

Anyways, I've tested Steam-overlay with two games (Slender Arrival and Universe Sandbox when it wasn't crashing around) and can confirm that it works properly on CX13.2.0, Wine1.6.2 and 1.7.21, for some reason. What resulted in crashes now works. I don't know how, possible something I installed with Winetricks. I'll make some more testing as soon as I can.

Now, a neat addition to Steamliner would be installing the games in proper Mac OS X folders, and not in the internal app. This avoids getting Steamliner.app's size grow as the user installs more games. I'll see what I can do when I can.

#6 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostKeyaku, on 17 September 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

I must say, after giving a quick look at your wrapper, you must go quite a way before the wrapper's something proper and final (temp folders not emptied, empty .lproj laying around, an unused .bat file).
I wouldn't worry too much, but, taking these in consideration, there might be stuff that can be removed in the semi-final wrapper, making it less heavy.
I suppose I was a bit brash releasing this, but yes, I figured this is not the last release, to get this in front of people first. (I think “lightweight” may not be the perfect adjective, but it’s certainly not a bad thing to aspire to.)

Anyways, I've tested Steam-overlay with two games (Slender Arrival and Universe Sandbox when it wasn't crashing around) and can confirm that it works properly on CX13.2.0, Wine1.6.2 and 1.7.21, for some reason. What resulted in crashes now works. I don't know how, possible something I installed with Winetricks. I'll make some more testing as soon as I can.
If you find what you did, I’m very eager to know.

Now, a neat addition to Steamliner would be installing the games in proper Mac OS X folders, and not in the internal app. This avoids getting Steamliner.app's size grow as the user installs more games. I'll see what I can do when I can.
There is the ability to map folders to OS X, so you could theoretically do that with the Steam folder. I’m unsure if it’s a good idea to have the Windows Steam in OS X’s Steam’s directory, but a separate folder could work. Let me see what I can come up with.

#7 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Regarding symbolic links
The direction I want to maintain with Steamliner is making it the Steam for Windows as the source for the apps. Still, using symbolic links to store Steam apps outside of the Steamliner app makes sense — separating data (Steam apps) from the app (Steamliner). This allows for some good options down the road:
  • Create quick shortcuts to Steam apps (maybe using something like Platypus)
  • Share the Steam for Windows apps and data with other Wineskin apps
  • Keep the data separate, making upgrades to Steamliner a heck-of-a-lot easier
So the big question is, where do we direct the symlink to?

In the Windows version, the Steam directory contains more than just the apps, it has the actual Windows executables, dlls, configs and the like. It’s the SteamApps directory inside there that has just the apps themselves.

We can’t share the exact same directory that the Mac installation uses (~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/) because when you switch from Steam for Mac to Steam for Windows it has to update them all — probably because the binary data is not the same between versions. So it’s got to be in a different directory — and the more I think about this, the more I feel it should not be in Valve’s Steam folder — for two reasons.

Firstly, if it’s in Valve’s Steam folder, Valve could be confused as a place for support if things break.
Secondly, if it’s in Valve’s Steam folder, Valve could remove stuff or do bad things to the stuff if they feel like it.

So then, it makes sense to put it in another folder. ~/Library/Application Support/Steamliner would work, but maybe it should be a more general name, so we can share this directory with other Wineskins in the future. Steam for Windows? Steam Windows? Something along those lines.

#8 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

Regarding symbolic links

So that everyone reading this knows: ancestral and I have been sending private messages to each other about this issue and we believe we solved it.
Most of the symbolic links have been resolved via symbolic linking in "WineskinStartupScript" and "WineskinShutdownScript". How this works is it creates a folder named Steamliner (if non-existent) under ~/Library/Application Support/; it then proceeds to creating folders and files needed for Steam; these files are then symlinked to the app.
Removing any of the files in ~/Library/Application Support/Steamliner shouldn't case much trouble (as they might be recreated) but is generally not recommended.

The idea of having the actual files under Steamliner and not inside the wrapper is to make it easier for you to carry your library (by copying this folder) to another Mac when needed. Although you'll still have to authorize the use of your Steam account in the new Mac, you'll be able to have access to your already downloaded library.

With this in mind: do not try to copy Steam for Mac's files onto Steamliner's. Not all files are cross-compatible, and copying them will result in a damaged library (not to mention that it misses the point of Steamliner entirely).

There's still a little bit of testing to do, but ancestral will work his best to bring an update as soon as possible.

#9 macmux

macmux

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 750 M
  • I like to play:FPS, Strange Simulators, Action games, Racing games, GDR additions

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi,
this is a great idea a kind of "multi-port".
It does not work on my rMBP running OSX 10.9.5. After steam updates it doesn't start anymore :( It crashes...
Can you help me?

#10 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

View Postmacmux, on 26 September 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

It does not work on my rMBP running OSX 10.9.5. After steam updates it doesn't start anymore :( It crashes...

I'd like for you to get the logs and post them here (or PM me or ancestral).
To get the logs:
  • Right-click Steamliner.app
  • Choose "Open Package Contents"
  • Start Wineskin.app
  • Click Advanced
  • Click Test Run
  • If it crashes immediately as you say it does, a window should pop-up asking if you wish to view the logs. View them.
  • Copy the contents of LastRunWine.log only, and send/post them here. You can ignore the other.

#11 macmux

macmux

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 750 M
  • I like to play:FPS, Strange Simulators, Action games, Racing games, GDR additions

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

Well after a steamhelper crash, clicking 5-6 times exit, it eventually starts. The same thing occurs with Crossover after last steam update. I think there is something in common.

EDIT: I did not read the know issue.

Thanks for your help
Cheers

#12 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

The crashes you're mentioning are the SteamWebHelper crashes (your log confirms it). We've still yet to work around that, but it doesn't stop Steam from showing up.
Please, do read the Known issues in first posts (by ancestral) as one of them states:

• Steam Web Helper occasionally crashes on startup.

Also, if your logs look pretty big, I recommend using Pastie and sharing it. Just saying! I suggest editing your post now just to avoid having a long page.

We'll look into fixing the issue, though. If it's purely a Wine problem, then there's not much we can do.

#13 Jix

Jix

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 M

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Crysis doesn't work (Intel HD)

#14 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostJix, on 04 October 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Crysis doesn't work (Intel HD)

I haven't looked at Crysis yet, but I'm going to assume that it won't work with current Wine releases (for Intel graphics, I mean).
In fact, 3D-heavy games are most likely not going to work with Intel integrated graphics since, if I'm not mistaken, the current WineD3D DLLs are ignoring specific information coming from them (including Intel HD).

If it does work, I'll mention something. Steamliner is still lacking PhysX drivers (not the ones that can be installed with some Steam games; those get installed as games need them).

Edited by Keyaku, 05 October 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#15 Jix

Jix

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostKeyaku, on 04 October 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

I haven't looked at Crysis yet, but I'm going to assume that it won't work with current Wine releases.
In fact, 3D-heavy games are most likely not going to work with Intel integrated graphics since, if I'm not mistaken, the current WineD3D DLLs are ignoring specific information coming from them (including Intel HD).

If it does work, I'll mention something. Steamliner is still lacking PhysX drivers (not the ones that can be installed with some Steam games; those get installed as games need them).
ok, thank you

#16 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 341 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Love this idea, Just downloaded the warpper and will test the games I have, they are: Sonic CD, Sonic Adventre DX, Sonic 4 Episode 1 and 2, and Sonic Generations. I am a bit of a Sega nut!

I will post back my results, I don't think Sonic Generations will work, but fairly hopeful for the others...

#17 Jix

Jix

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

Does Payday 2 work on Steamliner (I'm going to buy it when will it be on sale then I want to know if I could)?

#18 Keyaku

Keyaku

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
    Intel HD 3000 (Macbook).
    Some Hack & Slash games.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostJix, on 06 October 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Does Payday 2 work on Steamliner (I'm going to buy it when will it be on sale then I want to know if I could)?

Results look positive in Linux builds, so they might work for Mac. The problem also might still linger with Intel HD graphics, but I don't own the game, so I can't test it.

#19 Jix

Jix

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostKeyaku, on 06 October 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Results look positive in Linux builds, so they might work for Mac. The problem also might still linger with Intel HD graphics, but I don't own the game, so I can't test it.
Ok, thanks! I Will try it (when will it be on sale) :)

#20 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

OK Sonic Generations, Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure just turn the screen black, and then quotes, With regards to Sonic 4 (Both Episodes) I get a JAVA error, is it possible to add a Java runtime to the wrapper?

#21 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1,596 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

Ys I and II and Ys III works.
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#22 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Thanks guys, this is great!

Sorry I haven't checked here lately, but I’m still intersted in seeing this through. There’s a larger demand for playing games in Steam than ever before, so I do believe it’s a worthwhile project. And yes, the first few versions will be rough — and we’re bound to learn new things a long the way.

I’ve been talking with Keyaku about maybe switching to a Cider CrossOver engine. Steam overlay seems to work a lot better, as do a number of different games. However, there are a few games which work worse. <_< Yeah. Maybe there should be two Steamliners? Yeah not sure about that.

blueman56: If you installed Java runtime, does that make it run?

All: I’m working on a new version with an updater built in. Bear with me, it’s going to take some time. This is my last week on an assignment where I need to finish up many loose ends. However, the following week and weekend will be relatively free. Look for a version 1.1 by October 28. I’ll update the page at that time to reflect how the new games play.

Meanwhile, if you have suggestions, feedback, anything else, let me know.

#23 DragonK890

DragonK890

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Ok so when opening game SpeedRunners, attempts to install 4.0 Net cmd and then fails to open.
The games NightSky and Hammerfight works no problems.

Edit: It seems 4.0 installed fine, so unsure of what the problem is atm.

#24 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

This may be a silly question, but how do i install Java Runtime inside of the wrapper?

#25 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

View Postblueman56, on 15 October 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

This may be a silly question, but how do i install Java Runtime inside of the wrapper?
That was what I was curious about.

Check to see if it’s a winetrick. If it’s not, then I would go to download the Windows version from Oracle’s Java website and install it through the wrapper settings (remember, option on boot, choose “install software” and select the Windows installer file).

#26 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

Sadly, I’m going to need a little more time, but just chiming in this is still a priority for me. Also heard Crossover released version 14 recently, so I'm eager to test with that.

#27 Banzai

Banzai

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:GT 750m

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:27 PM

Super Hexagon works. Grimm yields: "This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows". Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I'll try reinstalling.

Thanks for making this!

#28 wallspaper

wallspaper

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi there, just installed today and looking great.

Was testing on Spelunky (which seems to work fine), and was wondering how to enable controller support? Ordinarily I copy in the .dll files from xbox360 cemu to the .exe directory of a game, but here there is both Steam's .exe as well as any individual games.

keep up the great work! very useful wrapper.

#29 ancestral

ancestral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

View Postwallspaper, on 15 November 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Was testing on Spelunky (which seems to work fine), and was wondering how to enable controller support? Ordinarily I copy in the .dll files from xbox360 cemu to the .exe directory of a game, but here there is both Steam's .exe as well as any individual games.
Hi wallspaper!

I’m a huge fan of Spelunky too.

I don’t know where to install support for the Xbox 360 controllers. I’m guessing the xinput dlls are required. There is a winetrick for that, but there may be other things are required to get USB or Bluetooth connections working.

If you find something out let me know.

#30 moontorment

moontorment

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD graphics 4000

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:34 AM

I got sacred gold edition to work although it doesn't work fullscreen,there is a graphical bug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users