Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBehind you.
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have an idea for a porting system, but unfortunately I don't have the technical knowledge/coding ability to make it a reality (yet). Please bear with me as I explain it as I think it could go to good use.

It's a porting system that doesn't use Wine.

I know all the other systems supported by the site use Wine in one form or another, but this basically runs a VM in the background with only the selected application/game being the visible window. This could work similarly to Parallels' 'coherence' mode, or as a virtual desktop that's more-or-less resizable in real-time. This would allow it to run applications from any OS, including Windows 10, Mac OS 9, Linux and possibly even console OSes like PS4 (I think that's called XMB 2). Unfortunately because of this it would use a lot of system resources (having to store whole OSes in a single wrapper or in the application support and running a VM as well as OS X), but would be able to run almost all applications flawlessly, as, if you install Windows 7 or something like that, it can natively support the application as well as frameworks Wine doesn't yet support, such as DirectX 11 and .NET 4.6.

It'd use a similar system to Winery, meaning you can download the suspended generic VM as an 'engine' and create a wrapper based on that. Meaning you can have Windows 10 and OS X 10.6 downloaded as engines and create a wrapper to run Microsoft Office 2016 or a PC-only game in its native environment as well as running an older PowerPC application (like Final Cut Pro 5) in the 10.6 wrapper.

It would have support for users to submit VMs for things like iOS and other things as well, allowing it to be user-driven and allowing more diversity of portable app formats. Also users can create custom app launchers, meaning launch windows or different link-apps allowing you to launch and run more than one app in the same wrapper at the same time, meaning easier use for things like Microsoft Office, etc.

This is an adaption of an idea I had as part of a Linux-based OS that could run any kind of application as well as adopt the GUI of any OS, allowing you to sort of run Final Cut on a Windows-looking machine and Office 2016 on a Mac-looking machine.

Please feel free to contribute, but remember I won't be able to help much because I (sadly) don't know much about writing my own apps and things like that.

#2 NRG

NRG

Champion Member

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia 9800m GTS
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

wineskin and wine are not as a Virtual Machine... if you think this, you are a bit confused about what a VM is  and what Wine/Wineskin'engines are

#3 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

I think it would be more practical and much easier to just use an actual virtual machine over trying to make this like a wrapper.

Maybe some type of launcher to launch the games in "Coherence mode" straight from OS X without having to see the VM at all once configured.

#4 MaestroTesseract

MaestroTesseract

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBehind you.
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

I understand that Wine and Wineskin are not VMs, but I was thinking that if you made a wrapper that ran an actual emulator or VM, rather than a layer like Wine in the background you could support more types of software, as well as them being native.

I think a launcher could work but the whole point of this was to avoid having to have things like Parallels or Virtual Box open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users