• Create Account

Unable to install winetricks after moving wrapper to external volume...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coupler

coupler

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Graphics Card:Radeon Pro 560
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble moving a wrapper to an external volume, specifically one formatted for ExFAT (I want compatibility with my Boot Camp partition).

1. Make new wrapper
2. Move wrapper to external volume formatted as ExFAT
3. Open Wineskin in wrapper, and load winetricks
4. Install dotnet40

Results: You cannot do so. It gives a weird error about a sharing violation. According to Google results, this basically means it is unable to extract the installer. It cannot write to the C:.

I'm on macOS Sierra, Wineskin 2.6.2, and WS9WineCX15.3.1 (I don't think those are the issue, but just for context)...

Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 NRG

NRG

Champion Member

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia 9800m GTS
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

did you try to move the wrapper on your main internal  Volume and uptade winetricks before make the installation of .dot net40?

#3 coupler

coupler

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

yeah, I should point out that the goal isn't to get dotnet40 installed (it would work to install it first on the main volume and then move later) but to get a large steam game running in wine off of an external drive, namely the new DOOM. it is almost 80GB! no room for that on my main volume...

because of this bug where you cannot write to a windows drive that exists on an ExFAT partition, you also cannot install any winetricks. that was just an easy to reproduce example that did not require owning any software or game in particular.

#4 NRG

NRG

Champion Member

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

are your sure your bootcamp partition is as Exfat?!?

Generally Windows installation formats the partition as NTFS

This from Wineskin's support forum:

http://wineskin.urge...highlight=exfat

#5 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro Core i7 16GB
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

MacBook Core2Duo 4GB
    nVidia 9400M 256MB
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

If your goal is to play the new Doom within a Wineskin wrapper on a Mac OS, you'll need to consider another gameplan. Mainly, installing Windows onto a bootcamp partition, that is currently the only way to install the new Doom on a Mac computer.

Unfortunately DX11 will not work in Wineskin and the new Doom is built entirely on DirectX 11

http://www.game-deba...627&game=Doom 4
Posted Image

#6 coupler

coupler

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:07 AM

View PostNRG, on 08 July 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

are your sure your bootcamp partition is as Exfat?!?

Generally Windows installation formats the partition as NTFS

This from Wineskin's support forum:

http://wineskin.urge...highlight=exfatt any

no, boot camp is NTFS. I am talking about an external volume, as in an external HDD (Samsung T3 SSD). ExFAT is a nice filesystem for cross compatibility between macOS and Windows.

interesting about dx11 and wineskin - I am assuming you really do mean wineskin specifically and not wine "in general"? because on winehq the new doom actually has a platinum rating: https://appdb.winehq...rsion&iId=33711

edit: I am now seeing that the good results are from using the Vulkan version of the game, which makes sense as it would not be using DX.

for this purpose I was planning on using a vanilla wine 2.11 engine, not any of the built-in wineskin engines (however for the purpose of my original issue, it does not matter which engine you use).

#7 NRG

NRG

Champion Member

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

View Postcoupler, on 09 July 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

interesting about dx11 and wineskin - I am assuming you really do mean wineskin specifically and not wine "in general"? because on winehq the new doom actually has a platinum rating: https://appdb.winehq...rsion&iId=33711

edit: I am now seeing that the good results are from using the Vulkan version of the game, which makes sense as it would not be using DX.

wine development on linux is more advanced respect  the mac version-- cause old OpenGl driver for mac never updated by apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users