5 replies to this topic

#1 Slice

Slice

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD6670, GTX650
  • Operating System:OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • I like to play:Heroes III
    4x4 Evolution
    made Heroes VI working!

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Is there anybody has success with dxvk in Mac?
I see the driver developed only for linux, anyway it can be installed by winetrick in wineskin. Any results?

#2 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

It currently does not support all the needed Vulkan Extensions to use DXVK, you may also need to patch MoltenVK to force some Extensions to ON.
Requirements for DXVK support cdavis5e is the CodeWeavers developer who is adding Extensions/Emulating the needed extensions.

#3 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Chip Davis has also been adding tessellation shader support, but it is not quite finished yet.

I perennially keep my fingers crossed that Apple will take the self-important stick from their collective bottoms and go back to providing at least one way to play nice with the unix/OS community in graphics. They keep their other OS subsystems reasonably compatible, and that gives them a huge leg up in the academic community. We like Macs because they give most of the power of Linux with few of the hassles. But if OpenGL goes away and all the open source visualisation tools stop working, Mac market potential will probably plummet in academia.

I am not sure the potential knock-on effects from that are on their radar, but I hope Apple will refine Metal to at least provide a path to feature parity with Vulkan and hopefully support a library that implements OpenGL on top of Metal or Vulkan. Clearly, Apple are not strapped for cash, so there is a strategic choice there.

Edit: Which is a long way of saying: I would like a fully-featured Vulkan bridge library for games, but I have other reasons to want it as well.

#4 Slice

Slice

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD6670, GTX650
  • Operating System:OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • I like to play:Heroes III
    4x4 Evolution
    made Heroes VI working!

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostGcenx, on 28 February 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

It currently does not support all the needed Vulkan Extensions to use DXVK, you may also need to patch MoltenVK to force some Extensions to ON.
Requirements for DXVK support cdavis5e is the CodeWeavers developer who is adding Extensions/Emulating the needed extensions.
There is an answer

build_proton: don't bother building dxvk on mac  …
dxvk isn't of any real use on mac until it's able to link to MoltenVK
See KhronosGroup/MoltenVK#203 and
doitsujin/dxvk#601.

Signed-off-by: Christopher Larson <kergoth@gmail.com>

#5 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

View Postovvldc, on 01 March 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

Chip Davis has also been adding tessellation shader support, but it is not quite finished yet.

I perennially keep my fingers crossed that Apple will take the self-important stick from their collective bottoms and go back to providing at least one way to play nice with the unix/OS community in graphics. They keep their other OS subsystems reasonably compatible, and that gives them a huge leg up in the academic community. We like Macs because they give most of the power of Linux with few of the hassles. But if OpenGL goes away and all the open source visualisation tools stop working, Mac market potential will probably plummet in academia.

I am not sure the potential knock-on effects from that are on their radar, but I hope Apple will refine Metal to at least provide a path to feature parity with Vulkan and hopefully support a library that implements OpenGL on top of Metal or Vulkan. Clearly, Apple are not strapped for cash, so there is a strategic choice there.

Edit: Which is a long way of saying: I would like a fully-featured Vulkan bridge library for games, but I have other reasons to want it as well.

Who knows Apple did developer Metal before Vulkan for Adobe and for use on iOS, however Vulkan is of course evolving much faster then Metal. I hope Apple does as you said pull the sick out of its rear.
If they don’t at least a OpenGL to Metal layer is also being worked on (it would be better then nothing I guess)

View PostSlice, on 01 March 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

There is an answer

Honesty that’s old information and I would ignore it, Proton dropped macOS support not long after that but as ovvldc says more support is being added still in the hope to support more Vulkan Extensions and in turn support DXVK.

#6 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostGcenx, on 01 March 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

If they don’t at least a OpenGL to Metal layer is also being worked on (it would be better then nothing I guess)

Several, to my knowledge:
ANGLE
GLOVE
VKGL
MoltenGL

They all seem to be more or less stuck at OpenGL ES 2.0. None are quite in useable state for desktop OpenGL though, and OpenGL ES 3.0 is also still elusive :(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users