10 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hello everyone,

there will be some changes across the Board that will affect the linking of files and the access of sections.
This was planned for some time, and we plan to execute it shortly after the Easter Holidays.

The way of linking various files in the Game sections will change with the Introduction of two new codes that will make it easier for everyone to download stuff.

These two codes rely on external services (known as linksave.in and torrage.com) and will be implementable with these two buttons:

The first download button is for normal download links via Rapidshare, Megaupload, MediaFire and so on.

[DownloadLinksave][/DownloadLinksave]

Demo:

How it works:
Tutorial - downloading files from linksave.in
Tutorial - posting download links with linksave.in
(these Tutorials are also displayed under every download button, look at the demo)
A link (or multiple links) get posted into linksave.in's protect page, which generates a download link that we implement here. more on that in the Tutorials)
As a little extra, the Download Linksave Button has a built in online checker for it's Contents.
And it works really well with jDownloader, the automatic download option helps with a single click.

The second download button is for the few torrents we have here:

[DownloadTorrage][/DownloadTorrage]

Demo:

How it works:
Tutorial - posting torrents with Torrage
(this Tutorial is also displayed under every download button, look at the demo)

Only these two ways of distributing links will be allowed in the Gaming Categories, and only links to linksave and Torrage work in them.

The basic goal of this is to allow everybody unlimited access to the Wrappers subsection.
Unfortunately, this has been rather hard to implement until recently, because not every Wrapper contains open source Code like Wineskin or CXZ.
Cider, CX and CXS (CXS = CXZ with the integrated Engine) include copyrighted code from Codeweavers and Transgaming which cannot be freely distributed like our own Wrapper creations for example.
As a consequence, the 3+ Post requirement will be dropped entirely, because of the improved security and anonymization of the new links.

It's not harder to post links via this method, once you used linksave and torrage for the first time, you'll find it easier to use this system.
The Forum looks more cleaned up that way and it's easier to use, and more people have access.
And again, look at the Tutorials if you're stuck.

Every Topic in the Gaming Subsections will be modified according to these changes over the coming week by Team Members.

Moving on, there is also another code for normal Downloads:

[Download][/Download]

Demo:

This code has a anonymizing option via anonym.to, but it shouldn't be used in the gaming sections.

Last but not least is a new Thumbnail tag for screenshots

[Thumbnail][/Thumbnail]

This tag is useful for a lot of screenshots, or some demo pictures.

Demo:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Try clicking one, resizing works, too.  

Also we want to open up a new Section for Discussions for current and future native Games, like Starcraft II and Portal.
The mac gaming market pretty much died up to the point where Valve announced that they would make a native Steam Client for it's native Game Ports.
So we are open for suggestions on how to name the subsections for the native Games section.
leave a comment if you have an idea.

We hope that everybody likes the changes to the Forum

(Thanks to blueman56, for the artwork on the Buttons)

signed
-The Porting Team
Administrative Staff & Team Members
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 Crowie

Crowie

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 629 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI HD 2600

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

always before the time like apple ;-) kiss
Fan of WineSkin http://wineskin.doh123.com/FAQ.html

In memory of my forumfriend MaxWeber (21/06/09)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

The Button codes are now live:

[Download][/Download]
[DownloadLinksave][/DownloadLinksave]
[DownloadTorrage][/DownloadTorrage]
[Thumbnail][/Thumbnail]

You'll see them when you make a new post or a reply.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#4 trainik

trainik

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationEvanston, IL
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

Could you go a little more into the how and why of this? I'm not objecting, just curious.

(i.e. how it works, and why it is good for us)

#5 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

devilhunter said:

The basic goal of this is to allow everybody unlimited access to the Wrappers subsection.
Unfortunately, this has been rather hard to implement until recently, because not every Wrapper contains open source Code like Wineskin or CXZ.
Cider, CX and CXS (CXS = CXZ with the integrated Engine) include copyrighted code from Codeweavers and Transgaming which cannot be freely distributed like our own Wrapper creations for example.
As a consequence, the 3+ Post requirement will be dropped entirely, because of the improved security and anonymization of the new links.

Quoting myself there, and it should be fairly obvious why we do the hassle with the link encryption and anonymization.
The main reason why we do the thing above is that people don't get the 3+ Post requirement or they abuse it with spamming randomly everywhere.
We never really were a fan of this method, because the outcome was obvious.
But, at the time, this was the only way.
Making all links 'safe' and public, we feel that everybody wins that way.

And remember kids, this is not a place of file sharing, but a place of ideas and creation.
Of course we keep some 'backups' of some things around, it would be a waste to throw them away after we made them :D

- zero

#6 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

This idea isnt bad for now. Well, i dont know of a situation currently for when it will be bad... So im going to shut up now...

-----

As for the name suggestion for the native games section, why not just that "Native Mac Games", adding Current/Future to the front of it as seen fit.

Or "Mac Coded Games", adding Current/Future to the front of it as seen fit.

But i personally like the first one better because of simplicity and for newbies to computers that dont know what the word "code" means in computer/game terms... (i hope everyone here should know what "code" is, at the least)
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#7 trainik

trainik

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationEvanston, IL
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

I meant something more along the lines of - who is it anonymous for now? The downloader or the uploader?

#8 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

I'd say for the downloader, as, i believe you still see the original links that the uploader has submitted. But i could be wrong.

But for a site like this I think the first priority would be the downloader.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#9 Guest_renderedone_*

Guest_renderedone_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

So, when will the 3-post limit be gone then..?

#10 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

renderedone said:

So, when will the 3-post limit be gone then..?

Now. :)
Sections have been changed.

- zero

#11 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro Core i7 16GB
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

MacBook Core2Duo 4GB
    nVidia 9400M 256MB
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

If anyone comes into a situation where linksave will not work, Batubia dot com for example, please try this website instead.

http://www.link-protector.com/

We should stick to the structure that dev has come up with and never post the

anonym button in the gaming section.

I've contacted doc and maybe we'll have a button ready to use for this site soon but until then you can use this template to post the protected links

[*spoiler]  [*code] [*/code]   [*/spoiler] minus the asterixes of course

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users