• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

Project page (hosted on googlecode): http://code.google.c...mmvmwrapperosx/

Posted Image

Version 2.2 (based on ScummVM 1.3.1 build)

What's new in 2.2
• Updated configuration tool.  Now it offers more config options
• Updated the ScummVM component to 1.3.1 release (-> release notes for 1.3.0, -> release notes for 1.3.1)

Download ScummVMwrapper 2.2-1.3.1

Release notes for v.2.2
• The wrapper executable has been changed. If you want to upgrade existing wrappers, move the entire game folder, the Info.plist and the game icon to the new wrapper, and trash everything else.
• When moving savegames between the two locations from the config tool, old files will be lost. Make sure you have a backup of your save data, and restore it to the new location.
• The configuration tool is built to work on OS X 10.5 Intel and newer (intel 32bit, intel64bit universal binary), it won't run on 10.4 or on any PPC-powered machines. The wrapper itself will run on older systems, but the configuration needs to be done on an 10.5+ machine with an Intel processor.

Info about ScummVM
ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

ScummVM supports many adventure games, including LucasArts SCUMM games (such as Monkey Island 1-3, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, ...), Sierra's AGI games (such as King's Quest 1-3, Space Quest 1-2, ...), Discworld 1 and 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Gobliiins 1-3, The Legend of Kyrandia 1-3, many of Humongous Entertainment's children's SCUMM games (including Freddi Fish and Putt Putt games) and many more.

Info about the wrapper
The ScummVM Wrapper is a modified version of the ScummVM application, meant to give a more Mac-like feel to the games, providing an application icon to doubleclick in order to run the game, without having the end user mess with loading game data folders inside the ScummVM user interface.

Games compatibility
Refer to the ScummVM 1.2.x compatibility list

BUGS
- None that I know of, other than the upstream ScummVM bugs.

Future plans
- Use a different default icon than the upstream ScummVM one.
- Feel free to provide any critics or suggestions, and I'll work on them.

Older versions

Version 2.1 (based on ScummVM 1.2.0 build)

What's new in 2.1
• Updated configuration tool.  Now it offers more config options
• Updated the ScummVM component to 1.2.0 release (-> release notes)

Download ScummVMwrapper 2.1-1.2.0

Release notes for v.2.1
• The wrapper executable has been changed.  If you want to upgrade existing wrappers from v.1.0 to v.2.0, move the entire game folder, the Info.plist and the game icon to the new wrapper, and trash everything else.
• When moving savegames between the two locations from the config tool, old files will be lost.  Make sure you have a backup of your save data, and restore it to the new location.
• The configuration tool is built to work on OS X 10.5 and newer (ppc, intel 32bit, intel64bit universal binary), it won't run on 10.4.  The wrapper itself will run on older systems, but the configuration needs to be done on 10.5+

Version 2.0 (based on ScummVM 1.1.148890 build)

What's new in 2.0
• Configuration tool
• Fullscreen mode on/off by default
• Enable/disable subtitles by default
• Option to store the savegames inside the application bundle rather than in the user's Library

Download ScummVMwrapper 2.0

Release notes for v.2.0
• The ScummVM component is the same version as in v.1.0.  This means there's been no change on how games are run and handled
• The wrapper executable has been changed.  If you want to upgrade existing wrappers from v.1.0 to v.2.0, move the entire game folder and the game icon to the new wrapper, and trash everything else
• When moving savegames between the two locations, old files will be lost.  Make sure you have a backup of your save data, and restore it to the new location
• The configuration tool is built to work on OS X 10.5 and newer (ppc, intel 32bit, intel64bit universal binary), it won't run on 10.4.  The wrapper itself will run on older systems, but the configuration needs to be done on 10.5+

Version 1.0 (based on ScummVM 1.1.148890 build)

What's new in 1.0
• Initial Release

Download ScummVMwrapper 1.0

You can find a tutorial on how to use it here: viewtopic.php?f=237&t=5903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#2 BioExorzist

BioExorzist

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

A option to save the savegames in the game.app directory instead of the library, would be great.

#3 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

BioExorzist said:

A option to save the savegames in the game.app directory instead of the library, would be great.

Sure, I can add it.  I'm thinking of adding some small GUI where to set this and a few other options (fullscreen, subtitles) in the next version I release.
Posted Image

#4 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Version 2.0.  Added a configuration utility inside the wrapper.

It allows to change the following:
- Game Name
- Game ID
- Enable/disabled fullscreen by default
- Enable/disable subtitles by default
- Choose a place where to store the savegame data (user's Library or Application bundle)
- Change icon (by dragging and dropping a .icns file)

Download link and a few release notes are in the first post of this thread.
Posted Image

#5 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Version 2.5-1.2.0

- Improved the configuration tool, now it also offers volume, aspect ratio correction, GFX upscaling mode and language settings (for the compatible games)
- Updated the ScummVM component to version 1.2.0.  Release notes available on the upstream project page: http://portingteam.c...edirect.php?htt ... /20101015/

Now the ScummVMwrapper project is hosted on googlecode.  I updated the download links to point to the googlecode download page for each version.  A SVN repository with the project files and sources is also available.
Posted Image

#6 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1,594 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:16 AM

Excellent update.
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#7 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Graphics Card:Osx 10.11.3 (Capitan)
    Nvidia GT 330M (+ Intel HD integrated)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

This wrapper is perfect ! Thanks for the work !

It work flawlessly ! :)
MacbookPro (MC373LL/A) Osx 10.6 - Intel Core I7 2,66 GHz (2 core) - RAM : 8 Go - Nvidia GeForce Gt 330M (+bultin IntelHD) - V RAM : 512 Mo
French tutorials for Wineskin, Cider & CiderX

#8 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

ScummVMwrapper 2.2 is out.  Based on ScummVM 1.3.1 (for more info, see the links to the release notes on the first post)
Posted Image

#9 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1,594 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
Author

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

Any reason to drop PPC support?
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#10 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

The only reason is that XCode4 no longer supports PPC, and new Macs (incl. my MBP) come with Xcode4.  I could still compile on my old MB or on my iMac (or also install XCode3 on the MBP), but that wouldn't be a long-term solution, since I don't think XCode3 will get the OS X 10.7 SDK when it comes out, and sometime in future the switch is unavoidable, I guess.

Games will still run, as the main scummvm executable is still a ppc/i386 Universal Binary, but the config tool is an i386/x86_64 Universal Binary.

It's also possible to recompile the config tool for ppc just by loading it in XCode3, since the .xcodeproj file is still compatible.  If there's a need for that, I can provide a version compiled with XCode3 as an alternate download on the googlecode site, at least until I need to use functions that aren't available on the SDKs supported by XCode3.
Posted Image

#11 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hi syao. ^^
Here is a way to use it for residual ?
MacbookPro (MC373LL/A) Osx 10.6 - Intel Core I7 2,66 GHz (2 core) - RAM : 8 Go - Nvidia GeForce Gt 330M (+bultin IntelHD) - V RAM : 512 Mo

#12 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

It's something i planned to do but never got to.  The two programs are quite similiar, so the wrapper won't require too many modifications.
The reasons why I haven't done it yet are three:
- There aren't many games supported by Residual as it is now (basically, Grim Fandango has 70% compatibility and Escape from Monkey Island 1%, according to the Residual site), so it's been pushed a bit down in my priorities list.
- I don't have any GRIME-based games to test it with.  But this isn't much of an issue, I can get the Grim Fandango demo from their site.
- I still haven't decided how to do this.  I can either make a completely different wrapper for Residual, or puth both ScummVM and Residual support in the same wrapper.  The first approach would make the wrapper slightly bigger, since it would need to include both engines (ScummVM is about 27MB, while Residual is about 2MB) - well, I could actually keep the engines compressed and extract only the one that will be used, in order to save some space (they both compress down to about 1/3 their size or less).  The second approach would keep the wrapper smaller, but it'd mean having to work on and maintain two separate wrappers  with very similar functions.  I sort of prefer the first approach as it stands now.

A new version of ScummVM cane out recently anyways, and since I'll be releasing an updated wrapper, I could give it a try and add experimental support for Residual too.

I can't give an ETA though, as my ability to work on it is based on non-deterministic variables (read: whims).  I'm not going through a good moment of my life right now, and depending on how I feel and on what my mood is, I may or may not be able to write proper code.  On the other hand, keeping myself busy helps quite a bit, so I might end up working on it overnight this weekend or next and be able to release a test version by then :3

If I don't, feel free to PM me about it, or bump this thread.  I really am a procrastinator, and being reminded about things does help ;)
Posted Image

#13 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for your quick answer !  :friends:
As for your scummvm wrapper, will i can change the engine (in this case residual) manualy from the package content ?
» The official mac version is compatible for intel 10.6 and highter, not for intel 10.5 or PPC users. (ex: here is mineself compiled version for intel 10.5 : http://residual.scum...wtopic.php?t=92 )

I'm not in hurry, take all your time ^^. I was asking myself how do it : Ive try to change the residual engine's name into "scummvm" and to place into your wrapper but it was an epic fail ! (i'm a dumb lol)

Just for info the config tool don't work for me on 10.5 (not a prob, just need to edit the "info.plist).
And what is this command :
NSAppleScriptEnabled
false
? (I'm just curious  :wink: )

See you and good night. =)

Ps : that's really cool for the sounds options ! :D

#14 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Honorbrachios said:

Thanks for your quick answer !  :friends:
As for your scummvm wrapper, will i can change the engine (in this case residual) manualy from the package content ?
» The official mac version is compatible for intel 10.6 and highter, not for intel 10.5 or PPC users. (ex: here is mineself compiled version for intel 10.5 : http://residual.scum...wtopic.php?t=92 )

I'm not in hurry, take all your time ^^. I was asking myself how do it : Ive try to change the residual engine's name into "scummvm" and to place into your wrapper but it was an epic fail ! (i'm a dumb lol)

Yeah, the new version will allow you to manually replace the engine with the 10.5-compatible one with no problems.  As for the current version, it can't run the (renamed) residual executable because the command line options to the two programs aren't compatible with each others (nor the game/engine names), so yep, you have to wait for the next release. (well, your attempt wasn't stupid, it's their fault for using incompatible command lines, else it would've been a drop-in replacement :P)

Just for info the config tool don't work for me on 10.5 (not a prob, just need to edit the "info.plist).
Oh, I hadn't tested it on 10.5, as I didn't have that version installed anywhere (I upgraded from 10.4 straight to 10.6, never liked Leopard...).  I now have an old testing machine where I installed all versions from 10.4 to 10.7, so I'll be able to try it before releasing the next version. Thanks for pointing it out

And what is this command :
NSAppleScriptEnabled
false
? (I'm just curious  :wink: )
It's described here: http://developer.app... ... aKeys.html
It's just to tell the OS that the app isn't scriptable through AppleScript.  Actually, taking it out won't hurt (I'm pretty sure false is the default value, and it's only required to set it to true when an application is scriptable...)
Posted Image

#15 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Ok, many thanks for theses informations !  :)
It's great for the manualy update (sometimes for your scummvm wrapper i use old beta engines ;) )

For the config tool, it's not a request » I'don't think it need more work on it for 10.5 users (it's not hard to edit an info.plist).
So one more time, congratulations for your work on scummvm wrapper  :good:  (I don't use anymore the ugly gui  :crazy: ).

#16 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

I've finally done some little progress on the wrapper.  It's still a work in progress (most of the stuff you see is just thrown in there without any code to actually use it), but at least there's some something to look at now.

New features planned and coming (hopefully) in the next version:
- Residual support
- Support for a few additional options offered by the Residual engine (enable/disable speech, software renderer, FPS counter)
- Support for custom command-line arguments to the ScummVM or Residual engine (a full list will be provided in the help)
- Online help, I realize some options could use some little explanation about their functions
- One-click upgrade of engines and wrapper executables, preserving the game installed inside (not sure about this one being ready when I release next version, but it'll be there ASAP)

This is what the GUI is gonna look like (at least, for now).  A single-pane window wasn't big enough to fit all the stuff, so I split it in two tabs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 karacho

karacho

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9600M GT

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

keep up the good work syao!

btw: i can't save the plist with your configuration application. i click save but the plist is still the same.
and i can't change the resolution. scummvm always says it can't switch to 640x480.

but i made a wrapper with a game that's not in your list. got the identifier from the scummvm site (i have no mouth and i must scream - ihnm).

i'm looking forward for the coming release :)

#18 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

That's really look nice syao ! :)
I've a little suggestion : is possible to add setup for the speed of subtitle ? (or the "additionnal command line argument" is for setup the other options ?)

Thanks a lot for your work syao, it's great ! :D

#19 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

karacho said:

btw: i can't save the plist with your configuration application. i click save but the plist is still the same.

Oops, I'll have this fixed for the next release, thanks for reporting it.

and i can't change the resolution. scummvm always says it can't switch to 640x480.

Where are you changing the resolution from?  (as far as I remember, ScummVM only allows you to choose between fullscreen and windowed mode, I don't remember a place where you can specify resolution of your choice)

Honorbrachios said:

That's really look nice syao ! :)
I've a little suggestion : is possible to add setup for the speed of subtitle ? (or the "additionnal command line argument" is for setup the other options ?)

Yes, the additional command line arguments is for other options I can't/won't include in the GUI. (for example, some games take a --copy-protection argument to enable the original copy protection code request, or other games take an --alt-intro command to show a different intro sequence...)

There's  a list of those arguments at http://wiki.scummvm.... ... ne_options (some of them aren't properly documented though, I'll need to dig into the code and amend the documentation someday).

About the subtitle speed, it's probably controlled by the --talkspeed option.  The reason why I haven't added it is because I believe its effects depends on what game is being loaded (it's one of the options that's not properly documented).  If I figure out there's a way to make it work the same regardless of the loaded game, I'll add it to the GUI, else you can use the "additional command line arguments" box for that.
Posted Image

#20 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

You rocks Syao ! ^^
If we can set the others options from the command line it's great ! (for me you don't need to add them in gui)
And for the included save into the wrapper it's a very great idea ! (I've don't see it yesterday)

#21 karacho

karacho

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9600M GT

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Where are you changing the resolution from? (as far as I remember, ScummVM only allows you to choose between fullscreen and windowed mode, I don't remember a place where you can specify resolution of your choice)

i don't specify the exact resolution but the filter that should be applied. like 2x scaling 2xhq or sai. i just could use the 1x scaling, so the the original resolution without filters.

and btw: saving inside the wrapper is a great feature indeed :)

#22 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Development has slowed down a little b/c I've been quite busy with the forum transfer and other RL stuff (exaaams), but it's almost there.  Including the self-updater functions.

Posted Image

I guess I should change the © to 2010-2012 now... Well, happy new year ;)
Posted Image

#23 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Great job as an usual ! :)
Happy new year too ^^

#24 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hi Syao ! :)
Is it possible to have beta of your work ?

#25 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'll have a beta ready in a couple days I believe.  I'm gonna target 10.5+ with this version (which is a little of a pain, but I got most of it already).
I'm currently working on making sure the beta will be able to update to the final release without breaking :3
Posted Image

#26 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postsyao, on 25 February 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

I'll have a beta ready in a couple days I believe.  I'm gonna target 10.5+ with this version (which is a little of a pain, but I got most of it already).
I'm currently working on making sure the beta will be able to update to the final release without breaking :3
Thanks it sound great as usual ! :D

#27 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

I finally have a beta-grade version!

For anyone who's interested in beta testing it, here it is: http://dotalux.com/p...ig.3.0.0-b1.zip

A lot of things changed since previous releases (I'll write some release notes later on).  For now, it's easier to say the app was completely rewritten from scratch.

A lot of things also changed in how wrappers are created.  I'll give here basic instructions (I'll write some complete documentation once a stable version is out).

To create a new wrapper:
- Doubleclick the ScummVMWrapperConfig.app you downloaded (you can keep it i.e. in your Applications folder).
- It'll notice it's currently not inside a wrapper and it'll offer to create a new blank wrapper at the location you choose.

To update an existing wrapper (from version < 3.0.0-b1):
- Ctrl-click an existing wrapper (any previous ScummVM Wrapper version should be fine, I hope I made it backwards compatible enough) and choose Show Package Contents.
- Copy ScummVMWrapperConfig.app inside it, overwriting if necessary. (Note: ScummVMWrapperConfig.app must go alongside the Contents folder, NOT inside it.)
- Run the just copied ScummVMWrapperConfig.app.
- Click the Upgrade Wrapper button.

To update an existing wrapper (from version ≥ 3.0.0-b1):
- Run the wrapper by holding down the Fn key in order to get to the config utility.
- Click the 'Check for Updates' button, and follow the on screen instructions (you'll see the familiar Sparkle update system you probably know from many other Mac applications)
- Once the update is complete and the app has restarted, click the 'Upgrade Wrapper' button.

To run the config tool (version ≥ 3.0.0-b1)
- Run the wrapper by holding down the Fn key

That should be it for now.  Please note that it's not ready yet for publishing ports, since it's largely untested.  Please report any bugs you encounter, and I'll have them fixed as soon as possible.

For any questions (or suggestions) I'm here to listen and answer :)
Posted Image

#28 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for new version !
It's currently not compatible with 10.5, do you think the final version will be compatible ?
Cheers & good luck.
;)

#29 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yes, the plan is to make it compatible!  I didn't test it on a 10.5 machine, since my sis is currently borrowing my old Mac where I have 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 installed, but I'll make sure I remove all the 10.5-incompatible code (I actually thought I had removed it all already, I must've missed something).

Until I'll test it myself, what kind of error did you get?  Did the app start at all?
Posted Image

#30 Honorenza

Honorenza

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

The app don't launch at all, just say it's not compatible with my version.
So I don't have my personal computer anymore, I have try it on ppc so perhaps it's intel only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users