• Create Account

[Sticky] CXZ Wrappers & Engines (download/how to here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

About CXZ, CXS & CXSkin

The CXZ Project is now discontinued.
CXZ, CXS & CXSkin Wrappers do NOT work in Mac OS 10.7 Lion anymore, and have a outdated code.
The CXEx System is the successor to CXZ, please see this section for porting with CXEx.

This Information Topic is for people who
- want to download / install the legacy CXZ Engines
- or play / use CXZ Wrappers in Mac OS 10.7 Lion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two ways to run your CXZ Port with CXEx:
- either install the CXEx Engine that you need and Link it with CXZ, choose Option 1
( will work on Leopard / Snow Leopard only, so not recommended )

- or Upgrade the old CXZ / CXS / CXSkin Wrapper to a CXEx Wrapper, choose Option 2
( will also work in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, recommended )

BOTH OPTIONS CAN BE DONE WITH A JUST FEW CLICKS, SO THIS IS VERY EASY!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-> Option 1: Click here if you want to download & install the recommended CXZ engines
for Mac OS 10.4 Tiger / 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard

-> Option 2: Click here if you want to download & install the legacy CXZ engines
for Mac OS 10.4 Tiger / 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard

-> Option 3: Click here if you want to use a CXZ / CXS / CXSkin Port in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
for Mac OS 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard / 10.7 Lion

Common Questions

Search Keywords:
CXZ, CXZ Engine, CXZ Engines, CXZ download, download, CXZ install, install, Wine, CXWine
CXZ Ebony, Ebony, CXZ Aquamarine, Aquamarine, CXZ Black Diamond, CXZBlackDiamond, Black Diamond, BlackDiamond, CXZ Diamond, Diamond, CXZ Ruby, Ruby, CXZ Amethyst, Amethyst, CXZ Ivory, Ivory, CXZ Jade, Jade, CXZ Sapphire, Sapphire, CXZ Topaz, Topaz, CXZ Emerald, Emerald
CXS Wrapper, CXS Port, CXS, CXSkin Wrapper, CXSkin Port, CXSkin

Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

CXZ Engines & Installing
for Mac OS X 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6
(do NOT use this Method in Mac OS 10.7 Lion, it will not work. see the Wrapper Upgrade Instructions below)

The CXZ Engines are from a old Wrapper system that was discontinued long ago, and the download links got removed from here.
However, because lots of old CXZ ports are still floating around the net, you need these Engines in Leopard and Snow Leopard to play CXZ Games.

There is a much simpler way to download & install these Engines than with the old Engine packages:

Download the 'CXEx Central' app from here and run it. (if the version is too old, you need to click the Update Button)
Download CXEx Central

Then follow these 3 easy steps:

1. Select the Engine that you need (you only need one Engine for your Port, no need to download all)
2. Click the 'view Upgrade Options' Button (in the misc Utilities Tab)
3. Click the 'Link Legacy Engines: CXEx -> CXZ' Button (and input password for installation)

Image Image Image

Image Image

Now you can play your CXZ Port on your system.
Also with CXEx Central, you can easily make your own Ports.

====================================================================================

Common Questions
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Upgrading CXx Wrappers to CXEx
for Mac OS 10.5 / 10.6 / 10.7 Lion

Mac OS 10.7 Lion introduced a new Version of the Quartz Window Server, and compatibility with CXZ, CXS and CXSkin Wrappers broke. (Lion also breaks compatibility with lots of native Software, too.)
Newer CXEx Wrappers have this fixed, and work flawlessly in Lion.
With just a few clicks, you can run your old Ports in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion again, thanks to the 'Wrapepr Upgrade' feature built into CXEx Central.
This is very simple, and i'll walk you through it.

Installing CXZ Engines will NOT help in Lion!
You can use these simple Instructions to get your CXZ / CXS / CXSkin Port working in 10.7 Lion.

You basically need to do this: (simplified instructions, detailed below)
- Step 1: Download CXEx Central
- Step 2: find out what Engine your Port uses
- Step 3: download the Engine your Port uses with CXEx Central
- Step 4: click the 'Upgrade Wrapper' Button and select your Port

Step 1:
(downloading CXEx Central)

Click here to download CXEx Central.
Drag the Application from the Disk Image to your Computer somewhere (Desktop, Applications Folder, etc...)
Note:
If new Versions of CXEx Central came out, you need to click the 'Version Check & Update' & and the blue 'Automatic Update' Button. Central will download new Updates and restart.

Step 2:
(find out what Engine your Port uses)

CXEx Central can automatically find out for you what Engine your CXx Port uses.
Start CXEx Central and go into the 'misc. Utilities' Tab, then click the 'view Upgrade Options' Button
in the new Window, click the 'Wrapper Upgrade: CXx -> CXEx' Button and select your Port that needs an upgrade.

Image Image Image

If you don't have the CXEx Engine that the old CXx Port needs already on your system, then you will get this message:

Now you found out what Engine you need to upgrade your Port.

Step 3:
(download the Engine your Port uses with CXEx Central)

Now go back into the first Tab of CXEx Central, the 'CXEx Wrappers' Tab
From here, select the Engine you need (that you just found out in the prevision step)

and wait for it to automatically download.

Step 4:
(click the 'Upgrade Wrapper' Button (again) and select your Port)

Now you can select the 'view Upgrade Options' Button again from the 'misc. Utilities' Tab and select your Wrapper again.  (yeah, same as in step 2)

Image Image Image

CXEx Central will now make a copy of your old CXZ / CXS / CXSkin Port and upgrade it to CXEx, which works in 10.7 Lion.

And that's all there is to it.
If you have downloaded the CXEx Engine already, it's now just as simple as to click the 'Wrapper Upgrade: CXx -> CXEx' Button.

====================================================================================

Common Questions

- zero

#4 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Common Questions:

Q: It asks me for a Password when i click the 'Link Legacy Engines: CXEx -> CXZ' Button. What's the Password?
A: Your User Password. The one you log into your mac with. The one you type in when you install Software. There is only one.

Q: I typed in my User Password correctly into the 'Link Legacy Engines' Window, but i get this Error:

Cannot write to System Directory.

Administrator User Password wrong?
A: This happens when you are not the Person who first set up your mac or installed the System.
Installing Software on a mac often needs the Password from the 'Administrator User', not every Application can be installed via drag & drop.
This happens often on School macs (where you can't install your own software), or if you have a mac from a friend or your Parents.

Q: So i can't play a CXZ Port now without a Administrator User Account?
A: Yes you can, but not with this method.
There is a even easier method of running CXZ Ports without installing anything with a password by choosing the 'Wrapepr Upgrade: CXx -> CXEx' Button. (see above)
This step is even recommended compared to linking the Engines.

Q: Where can i find CXZ / the CXZ Porter app?
A: CXZ and the CXZ Porter app are discontinued.

Q: Why got CXZ discontinued?
A: CXEx is the successor to CXZ. CXEx is better in every way, and much simpler to use.
You can find CXEx here: CXEx Project (Member Project)

Q: My CXZ/CXS Port doesn't run on my Mac OS 10.7 Lion mac!
A: CX/CXSkin/CXZ/CXS Ports are all incompatible with Lion. Only CXEx Ports work in Lion.
To make a CXx Port work in Lion, download CXEx Central and go to 'misc Utilities' -> 'view Upgrade Options' and select the 'Wrapper Upgrade CXx -> CXEx' Button, then select your CXx Port

Q: Should i install the CXZ Engines when i use 10.7 Lion as my Mac OS?
A: Nope, CXZ Engines are totally useless in Lion.

Q: Where is the CXZ Diamond Engine?
A: The CXZ Diamond Engine got removed and replaced with the CXEx Black Diamond Engine, which are both 99.9% similar. Download the CXEx Black Diamond Engine if you need to play a CXZ Diamond port.

Q: After downloading and installing a CXEx Engine via CXEx Central, i still get this Error:
A: If you got a confirmation about the Engine working in this Dialogue:
Then the installed Engine works.
However, if the Port still doesn't run, it's either damaged or something is still missing on your System to run it. This can be many things. Best post about it in the CXEx Section if it's a CXEx or CXZ Port.
If you have a problem running a Game, look in the Ask for Help! Section.

- zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users