#1 LameSaint

LameSaint

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

I'm working on a port of Rusty Hearts, but I keep getting a popup window that says "Sorry, this application cannot be run under a virtual machine."  Is there any way to get around this, or fix it?
Posted Image

#2 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

probably not.

Most games that do that have detection code programmed into them by the developers to specifically detect Wine, and purposefully prevent the game from running.  Its called total asshole developers that don't deserve your support.

#3 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

LameSaint said:

I'm working on a port of Rusty Hearts, but I keep getting a popup window that says "Sorry, this application cannot be run under a virtual machine."  Is there any way to get around this, or fix it?

WINE AppDB:

http://appdb.winehq.... ... &iId=13331

Game "confirmed" not working with WINE at the moment.

#4 LameSaint

LameSaint

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for you responses guys.  And I had checked AppDB already, but neither of the posts on there about Rusty Hearts said anything about this particular problem, and I was curious about it.
Posted Image

#5 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

It's interesting that it gives that error for WINE considering WINE is not a VM.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

smoketetsu said:

It's interesting that it gives that error for WINE considering WINE is not a VM.
not really... its just detection code that tries to find many things.. and a generic error.  They could have said "we don't like what you are doing error!" if they wanted.

#7 DEAD_USER

DEAD_USER

Champion Member

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

It's most likely looking for specific Windows only hardware extensions that are missing in anything but the original version.

#8 LameSaint

LameSaint

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

I googled the phrase "Sorry, this application cannot run under a virtual machine" and saw someone post this about a different application (not Wine, they were doing it for VMWare Fusion I believe) and this is what they posted:

I added these strings in vmware config file and it works fine:

monitor_control.virtual_rdtsc = "false"
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"
isolation.tools.getPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setVersion.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "true"
monitor_control.disable_directexec = "true"

Would something similar to this be possible for Wine?
Posted Image

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

Wine isn't a virtual machine.. things like that cannot be controlled.  Virtual Machines are VERY different than Wine.  Wine just implements APIs...  Virtual Machines emulate an entire set of computer hardware and run a real OS on it.

#10 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

If I remember well, the easiest ways for a program to detect if it's running through wine are mainly two.  First one is really easy (and possibly easy to bypass):  they check whether ntdll.dll exports wine_get_version and/or a few other wine-only private APIs.  To counter that you can either edit the executable (a quick check for this - unless it's encrypted - is to look for the string "wine_" inside the exe or the dlls) to make it look for another function name, or patch wine so that it won't export such private APIs.
The other way might be a pain, and it's related to how differently network adapters are handled by wine and windows.  That's harder to spot and also harder to counter.

If you really want to give it a try (I honestly wouldn't - if a dev's so much of an asshole, I wouldn't really want to play their game), while the chance to catch it is very far from being 100%, you can grep the program's folder for the string "wine_" and see if you get any matches.  If you do, open the matching files in a hex editor and see what the complete string is.  If you post the results of your search, I or someone else here might be able to give you more hints.

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#11 LameSaint

LameSaint

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Actually, I would like to give it a try.  I'm curious about how I could possibly get around this.  Even if I can't, it will be a learning experience.  So I used grep on the Rusty hearts folder to search for "wine_".  

These are the results printed in terminal:

LameSaints-iMac:~ lamesaint$ grep -r "wine_" /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty\ Hearts\ -\ Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/Perfectworld\ Entertainment/Rusty\ Hearts 
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/000.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/001.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/002.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/003.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/004.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/005.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/006.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/007.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/008.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/009.pck matches
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar01_k.png.mip	15329	f325104
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar02_k.png.mip	15907	645cf744
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar_e.png.mip	2875	8e712935

I checked all of the files shown in terminal using a hex editor, but it appears the only time that "wine_" is mentioned is in reference to a map titled "wine_cellar"
Posted Image

#12 jofo91

jofo91

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

I have a mac lion and  windows 7 x64, and virtual machine is parallels desktop 7.
I try to run rusty hearts too, but i cant because its a virtual machine...
I add the lines that you take in this post in the end of the my archive Windows7x64.vmx , with textedit but nothing... anybody can help me?

#13 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

LameSaint said:

Actually, I would like to give it a try.  I'm curious about how I could possibly get around this.  Even if I can't, it will be a learning experience.  So I used grep on the Rusty hearts folder to search for "wine_".  

These are the results printed in terminal:

LameSaints-iMac:~ lamesaint$ grep -r "wine_" /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty\ Hearts\ -\ Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/Perfectworld\ Entertainment/Rusty\ Hearts 
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/000.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/001.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/002.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/003.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/004.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/005.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/006.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/007.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/008.pck matches
Binary file /Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/009.pck matches
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar01_k.png.mip	15329	f325104
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar02_k.png.mip	15907	645cf744
/Users/lamesaint/Desktop/Rusty Hearts - Wineskin.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Perfectworld Entertainment/Rusty Hearts/windyRusty.info:archive/ui/sprite/1024/flash_sprite/map_dungeon_title/flash_maptitle_wine_cellar_e.png.mip	2875	8e712935

I checked all of the files shown in terminal using a hex editor, but it appears the only time that "wine_" is mentioned is in reference to a map titled "wine_cellar"

lol :afro:  :afro:  :afro: :beer:

#14 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD5000
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

If it is also complaining about Virtualbox or Parallels or VMware, it is not bothered by Wine specifically. But I have no idea what they use to see if it is running on a VM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users