68 replies to this topic

#31 AtomicGuy

AtomicGuy

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:RPGs, RPGs, and some more RPGs

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Tried dropping it into the Strider Mountain wrapper, didn't work. Tech incompetent here. Does that indicate that it doesn't work with Cider? Or am I just stupid?

#32 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I see those of you who are having graphical glitches have intel or nvidia cards. Interesting. I don't get anything like that with my ATI card.

Also I had the text in steam not render if I installed any additional fonts other than what gets automatically installed when I install Steam via winetricks. It might be a good idea to at first only install steam via winetricks and then later on install Direct3D9. But not much else.. especially not fonts. That's what I noticed for me anyway.

Keep in mind that some errors you may come across like potential crashes also happen in windows so it may not be because of WINE or anything you did.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#33 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postsmoketetsu, on 16 September 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

I see those of you who are having graphical glitches have intel or nvidia cards. Interesting. I don't get anything like that with my ATI card.

Also I had the text in steam not render if I installed any additional fonts other than what gets automatically installed when I install Steam via winetricks. It might be a good idea to at first only install steam via winetricks and then later on install Direct3D9. But not much else.. especially not fonts. That's what I noticed for me anyway.

Keep in mind that some errors you may come across like potential crashes also happen in windows so it may not be because of WINE or anything you did.
I noticed the text errors for me only happen when i use the newer 1.5.7 - 1.5.12 engines . The game runs fine for me on 1.4 .
--
HM

#34 hackvcs

hackvcs

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 202 posts
  • Graphics Card:Gma 950 9400m
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

the game runs the best using the cx11.2.0 engine
I'm back and porting again

#35 MoDFoX

MoDFoX

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB / Intel HD Graphics 288MB

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Posthmtinc, on 16 September 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

I noticed the text errors for me only happen when i use the newer 1.5.7 - 1.5.12 engines . The game runs fine for me on 1.4 .

The text errors are a wine issue with text rendering. In your wrapper, set the EXE flags to "-no-dwrite" without the quotes. This won't be an issue on CXG engines I believe.

#36 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have this running in a Cider wrapper with all details maxed out, that includes all DX 9.0+ features - it runs playable on a 2008 MBP and I haven't experienced any crashes so far. I'll be uploading the port later today.
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office

#37 AtomicGuy

AtomicGuy

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hooray! Thank you, Doctor!

#38 aMerkuri

aMerkuri

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Macbook 2008 uni Nvidia M9400

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thank you @thedoctor45 !

#39 escapist

escapist

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well I have been playing my Wine port and experienced two random crashes so far. Main problems so far, whenever I click the mouse button, I get a minor visual glitch. And when in water, I can't see a thing!

#40 AtomicGuy

AtomicGuy

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Just wait for doc's, it's bound to be better.

#41 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postthedoctor45, on 16 September 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I have this running in a Cider wrapper with all details maxed out, that includes all DX 9.0+ features - it runs playable on a 2008 MBP and I haven't experienced any crashes so far. I'll be uploading the port later today.

Well, for me the crashes happen more later in the game. Like I'm at questionable ethics now and it's crashing more and little that I do helps. Like setting a heapsize (most crashes seem to be due to memory) I've actually seen it say it tried to allocate ~3GB of RAM (in kilobytes) and was unable to (my amount of RAM is in my sig.. 12GB). At this point it's running a lot like FEAR2 used to when one used to turn up the details with older versions of WINE and everyone thought it was because all computers couldn't handle it. You could get through a large portion of it without crashes but later on it gets more and more unstable.

Also does antialiasing work with it? I like using the newer WINE engines because they support multisampling. The CXG engines don't.. CX11 possibly does as it seems to share stuff in common with WINE engines 1.4. Also if your wrapper is indeed totally stable I'd like to know the exact steps you took. Not all of us here are just consumers  or noobs after all. ;)
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#42 Albino

Albino

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD3000

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

View Postsmoketetsu, on 16 September 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Haha. That's because Intel drivers suck!

I tried using the Porting Team's steam wrapper. I was able to launch a stable copy of Steam, however after I installed BM into that wrapper and set the .exe flag as smoketetsu suggested I couldn't launch Steam or BM.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll see what doctor's wrapper is like once he uploads it :)

#43 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostAlbino, on 17 September 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Haha. That's because Intel drivers suck!

I tried using the Porting Team's steam wrapper. I was able to launch a stable copy of Steam, however after I installed BM into that wrapper and set the .exe flag as smoketetsu suggested I couldn't launch Steam or BM.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll see what doctor's wrapper is like once he uploads it :)
You cant just use a steam wrapper . You have to apply the winetricks , direct x 9 , d3dx9_43 , dx0f , d3dcompiler_43 , win version = 7 . Then you can start the wrapper .
Oh and loading the game takes a while . Around 1 - 2 minutes
--
HM

#44 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 17 September 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

You cant just use a steam wrapper . You have to apply the winetricks , direct x 9 , d3dx9_43 , dx0f , d3dcompiler_43 , win version = 7 . Then you can start the wrapper .
nah its more than that i ported it actually its little bit difficult

#45 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Gained a bit more stability when I did some more messing around and applied the following:

switched to 1.4 rawinput engine
Winetricks:
  • win7
  • vsm=hardware
  • orm=fbo
  • psm=enabled
  • ddr=gdi
It still crashes randomly but I am up to the part where you get the bazooka and you blow up the helicopter now. It crashed when I blew up the helicopter actually. :P It's like this is all voodoo witch doctering than anything. Your results may vary... void where prohibited. I never had any graphical errors so any tinkering I've been doing has been strictly for stability during the later levels.

Oh, and one also has to launch and setup steam first then install black mesa and then launch it from the games list.. at first launch it installs source SDK.. you have to have that all completely installed before you can launch it via a command line argument.
--Kama

#46 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

View Postblinxfrost, on 17 September 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

nah its more than that i ported it actually its little bit difficult
I already ported it before you and those wine tricks worked fine for me .
--
HM

#47 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

Something interesting, the hive hand weapon is causing major frame rate drops for me whether it's in view on the ground or in the room or equipped. I just got past the part with the laser trip mines (which are super super sensitive btw)..... and noticed that. Then I ran winetricks again (I may have unset that before) and set win7 again and reran the game and the hive hand was fine... funny, that.

I installed D3D9_43 and it seemed to help at least a little but there are STILL random crashes here and there in the later levels having to do with an invalid parameter or memory allocation error.
--Kama

#48 Albino

Albino

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 17 September 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I should have been clearer. I used the Steam wrapper then did all that. Subsequently installed BMS using the Wineskin utility.
Unfortunately I can't add the mod to Steam. My Steam isn't stable enough to use the Add Game function.

Given all the issues encountered here and my inexperience, I'll wait for someone to launch a relatively stable wrapper.

#49 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

When you use the black mesa installer it's automatically added to your games list. Also to be quite honest some of the bugs seem to be due to the buggy nature of the game itself. In fact I just had to noclip through an area just to get through it (right after fighting the gargantua with an airstrike.. the airstrike computer is quite buggy and it was especially hard to use it with him shaking the tower you are on) and there was a part there where he crashes through the gate but leaves an invisible barrier behind him so you can't reenter the tunnel there.
--Kama

#50 Albino

Albino

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Ok. Well despite that, my port didn't launch.

Can I copy the EXE flags you posted directly, or do I need to adjust the file paths or any other variables?

EDIT: Progress, now steam is downloading the source SDK. Rookie error; it seems the caps in SourceMods in the EXE Flags path was the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone! Hopefully BM is playable.

#51 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Should work directly once you've have the mod setup in the wrapper. But that's the key thing; It has to be setup first before you use the command line argument for launching it. That means running Black Mesa source from the list of games at least one time and allowing it to install the required SDKs and perhaps running it again after that from the games list just to be sure. BTW, It wasn't working for me at first either but then I noticed the games list was set to tools and I had to click the drop down menus and have it show all games before I could see Black Mesa in the list in the steam games library.

There aren't any hard coded paths in the line. Like for example the path to the black mesa source folder is a relative one to the path of where the SDK is launching from in the file directory structure. So it should work as is provided you copied and pasted it exactly into the EXE flags box and have the game setup beforehand.

Interesting that the caps in SourceMods gave you trouble as it never did for me. But yeah, in the file path it doesn't have caps. :P
--Kama

#52 Albino

Albino

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Tetsuo. Sorry to bother you, given that you didn't want to provide tech support to begin with!

Getting the SDK now. I'll try launching from the Games List afterward.

Thank you

#53 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Just dropping a note here that I completed my first playthrough of the game (well, as much as they included) just now and I'm not sure if it helped but I put in this command line parameter

+fps_max 66

And snd_mixahead 0.4 in the command line console inside the game... and I was able to get through the lambda labs with little incident although it did once again crash right after I procured the long jump module. But yeah I've already completed the game with my own installation.

As for the rest well, it wasn't too much problem... at least I don't have a ton of PM's demanding support for a wrapper that melted down people's systems or some such. ;)
--Kama

#54 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

FYI I'm using RevEmu and a full HL2 installation to execute Black Mesa so that might affect stability in some way - I'm bundling it with the package I'm going to upload which makes it quite large so it might be another 2 days before I have everything up. BMS alone is 7+ GB. I sure hope the Cider build performs properly on 10.7+ systems since I have no way of testing that atm. Anyway you can always try to update the Cider version if it should refuse to launch. Anti-Aliasing and HDR is fully working as far as I can tell btw.
Posted Image

#55 Raspootis

Raspootis

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4670

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

Can't wait for this port. I have a way to run Sourcemods natively (will post directions for that, if requested), but a lot of mod's scenes are broken, which are necessary to play the game. SImple map mods work, however.

#56 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yeah, mods that don't require compiled code aren't too hard to get working. I have a version of the cinematic mod working with the native Half-Life 2 that only changes the textures including high res textures for the old character models. Mods that require compiled code like Black Mesa are a different story however.

Also, doctor, my own personal cider ports all seem to work well in fact last night I just unlocked the frame rate in transformers war for cybertron and it was running pretty stellar using a cider wrapper I haven't upgraded to a newer cider revision in a while and also even when I was upgrading it I was doing it piecemeal.

Like I said though I've already completed BMS though here personally. ;)
--Kama

#57 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

I did a test of my personal BMS WINE configuration and I got up to "we've got hostiles" without any crashes. So to me porting wrapping it and testing it out for a bit and saying no crashes so far doesn't mean a whole lot. In my opinion one needs to do a lot of stress testing to determine how stable it really is.

Currently after a while performance issues start cropping up and I have to close it and reopen it to restore performance which isn't much better than it crashing and me having to reopen it and start from my last quicksave point.
--Kama

#58 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

the port is now in the Backups section - please report back how it works on 10.7+
Posted Image

#59 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

I am going to download it to see how it compares to the copy I've been working on but part 16 is showing up as offline (or not found) in jdownloader.
--Kama

#60 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

part 16 is working for me
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users