7 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Porting Team System Update: v3.2

This update increases the usability of our system even further, with some things members really wanted, and some helpers for posting.

- Tutorial System now fully online
The Tutorial System is now open for everyone to write Tutorials and how-to's into. The Tutorial System will be the place of general information on our site, as we post documents and other knowledge in it.
Notice something that isn't clearly explained here? (there should be a lot...) Make a Tutorial about it and submit it into the Tutorials Section.
Submitted Tutorials from Members will not be immediately viewable for others, they need to be checked and approved first.
Tutorials can be about anything here, and if yours won't fit into an existing category, we'll make another category for it.

- Author Ranks (for the Tutorial System)
Every Member who submitted a Tutorial will get a 'Author' Rank Banner under his Avatar in the Forums.
Posted Image

Since few Members care about sharing their information & knowledge in detail with others, this will show who actually cares about other Members and filling the information hole that gradually builds up.
Upon mousing over the Author Banner, you will see what this Banner really means and how much content a member has submitted.
By clicking this Banner, you will be taken to the Member's Tutorials Page, where all recent Tutorials (from the last 365 days) are displayed. (older Tutorials are viewable via the 'Find Content' Button)
Posted Image

- Porter Ranks are back!
A little bit different from what we had in phpBB, but now a lot better.
Every Member who submits at least one Port to the Port Database, will get a 'Porter' Banner under his Avatar in the Forums.
Posted Image

This Porter Badge is automatically given by the system (refreshed every 24 hours), and this does not require mods or admins anymore to set it up individually.
Upon mousing over the Porter Banner, you will see what this Banner really means and how much content a member has submitted.
By clicking this Banner, you will be taken to the Member's Ports Page, where all recent Ports (from the last 365 days) are displayed. (older Ports are viewable via the 'Find Content' Button)

Posted Image

This information is also displayed in the Profile View.

Posted Image

-Port Database Category Field Information
It may be a bit confusing to some Members what to post into some Port Database Categories. Only Wrappers? or Full Games? what about Apps? Wrappers there, too?
Every Category in the Port Database will now have some little Notes above it, what this section is for.
Posted Image
(the wording may change)
We hope that clears up what content these Categories have, and what is allowed where.

- Pre-defined Port Database Topics
As with the pre-defined help topics in the forum, this feature is also available in the Port Database.
Forget about copy/pastà with the post template when submitting a new Port, now the template for editing your Port Information is built into the Port Database.
Click the 'Submit new Port' Button, and the template for editing is automatically in the Description Field.

Since a lot of Members stray from the template or totally forget to use it, this should show things more clearer.
We really can't make it easier than that :P

The Template is open for suggestions, but it is laid out for minimal edits to be made for submitting a new Port, this is the minimal Info that others will need about your Port.
Naturally you can add as much extra info as you like in your new submits to the Port Database.

- Linksave/linkcrypt/safelinking now no longer required*
Linksave was introduced by us for posting download links to wrappers; for protecting download links against hotlinking and abuse, also to avoid link deletion from Hosters via website spidering.
All main download links are now automatically protected by the download system via a dynamic links.
This gives us the opportunity to drop linksave from content like Wrappers, DOS Games and Applications.  (also because linksave became such an ad-infested place)
You can choose to use it further, or not. We think most will choose not to :D

* Only complete game Backupshave to be posted via Linksave, because the links posted via the fullgamebutton are not part of the main download part from the system, and for other obvious reasons.
This part of the update will also get mentioned via an extra announcement.

Extra Note:
The 3.2 Update will be (one of the) last update(s) on the Board for a while, since all critical holes where we bleeded information from are now patched.
Also the system that we use (Invision Power) will have major updates shortly, and everything needs to be tested to the bone before we will use it.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

How about tutorials made before?
Like my: http://portingteam.c...-steam-and-you/

Should I resubmit it?
I guess I could update it a bit and clean it up

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postcluthz, on 17 February 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

How about tutorials made before?
Like my: http://portingteam.c...-steam-and-you/

Should I resubmit it?
I guess I could update it a bit and clean it up

Yes, please do that.
PM me or a mod to delete the old one from the forum then.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#4 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

View Postdevilhunter, on 17 February 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Yes, please do that.
PM me or a mod to delete the old one from the forum then.

Ok great. It's a good opportunity to update it a bit.

And by the way, this forum is really coming together now!
I'm the start I was a bit skeptical, like I always am with changes :)
But now all the bits and pieces are in place we really have a much more streamlined forum!
The work you've done here is really great and I'm glad you've returned to the scene again!

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#5 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

View Postcluthz, on 17 February 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Ok great. It's a good opportunity to update it a bit.

And by the way, this forum is really coming together now!
I'm the start I was a bit skeptical, like I always am with changes :)
But now all the bits and pieces are in place we really have a much more streamlined forum!
The work you've done here is really great and I'm glad you've returned to the scene again!

thanks.
give syao some compliments, too, currently we two are the only tweakers for this board. ;)

- zero

#6 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Sweet! Awesome work, guys!

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#7 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Author

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Really impressive work, this entire new system is just great.

I have an idea for the port database template, but it might be hard or impossible to implement: under "My System Specs" have the fields already filled out if the user has set their system specs in the settings. Currently we can only chose our OS and graphics card, so we would need fields for CPU and RAM.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#8 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

I don't think it'll be that impossible.  Those values should be readable by the template.  I'll probably check how to do it if after we're done with the next Invision update, since it's gonna be quite big.

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users