• PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:Macbook Air 13" i5
    Intel HD 3000
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Installer v2.0
I had an idea last month. This idea was a simpler interface for Installer. An interface that is self explanatory which has instructions so for people that download wrappers from this site can also download this to install there games.

This will make it easier to install windows games and put it into one of the wrappers. Instead of partitioning their hard drive or using something like crossover. They could use this to easily install their games, and the explained

I am working with NSObject & Battlefiler to make this idea happen. They are the programmers, NSObject is working on the Xcode side of things and Battlefiler is working on the Implementation of wineskin into it, and obviously I'm the interface designer.

I was posting about this on another thread but i thought having my own would be better rather than putting it on something that isn't really relevant.

So here's what i have done in photoshop so far.
Posted Image
I have iterated and changed many things based on what people have said, and if anybody wanted to suggest more changes or anything related to this please comment below.

UPDATE::
Download link to the latest version of the old Installer by Devilhunter

Below is a concept of what this could be like when it's finished, some things may be too difficult or not good to put in to the application so it won't look exactly like this when it's finished. But instead this is to help show what i was thinking when i first thought of making a better Installer.

The button in the video looks feint in because of the low quality, watch in 720p to see what it really looks like (even in HD it looks feint, but it's not that transparent in the actual application). My composition in After Effects was set to 720p so there is no scaling, just youtube compression.

My video has a lot of mistakes. I have seen a couple of grammar errors and there at the part where i drag the wrapper, it's not supposed to remove it, its supposed to work the same as the .exe (where it tells the app where it is), for the wrapper i accidentally made it disappear, sorry if it caused any confusion.

Hello guys, here is a picture of each step of installer v2, please tell me if you see any grammar mistakes or anything i should add to the descriptions of each step to explain it better, maybe if you think mine are poorly worded, please tell me what i should do.
Spoiler

I have created the icon. I think its maybe a bit too blue. The interface is grayscale, and i think the icon doesn't match very well. Do you guys think i should change it or do you think its good enough, please tell.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

We could all work together and just build a cool installer like this directly into Wineskin as well...?

#3 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GT750M 2GB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'd be glad to help with this!

Another thing that me and cluthz were discussing is the possibility to add an installer to wineskin (or winery) so we could download customised engines. I already maintain two wine git repositories in my mac, one that has wbem partially implemented and one that has a working osx raw input support. I bet there are people here who have even more custom engines like this, and it would make it easy for us to share and for the users to use.

(btw, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I just found it relevant with the installer, if it sounds different feel free to move it.)

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#4 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postsamm565, on 14 March 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Installer v2.0
I had an idea last month. This idea was a simpler interface for Installer. An interface that is self explanatory which has instructions so for people that download wrappers from this site can also download this to install there games.

This will make it easier to install windows games and put it into one of the wrappers. Instead of partitioning their hard drive or using something like crossover. They could use this to easily install their games, and the explained

I am working with NSObject & Battlefiler to make this idea happen. They are the programmers, NSObject is working on the Xcode side of things and Battlefiler is working on the Implementation of wineskin into it, and obviously I'm the interface designer.

I was posting about this on another thread but i thought having my own would be better rather than putting it on something that isn't really relevant.

So here's what i have done in photoshop so far.
Posted Image
I have iterated and changed many things based on what people have said, and if anybody wanted to suggest more changes or anything related to this please comment below.
This is a cool idea . I would like to try implementing this into ciderx2.0 could I have a psd copy of this
--
HM

#5 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sounds epic. The Installer is a little bit lacking in terms of ease-of-use. I'm in!

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#6 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View Posthmtinc, on 15 March 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

This is a cool idea . I would like to try implementing this into ciderx2.0 could I have a psd copy of this

Maybe you should talk to drakulix about this cause i was working with him on ciderx2.0 (i was the interface designer on that) and when i showed him this i don't think he wanted to implement it as something different, i think he already had ideas on what he wanted to do.

I think he is working on a more integrated approach. See, the whole point of ciderX 2 is to make everything in one window, not adding heaps of windows and things open at the one time, just one simple application with everything inside. I think he's putting a wineskin app installer or something embedded into it already.

Im not to sure but i think talking to him first might be best before doing things as big as this.
Posted Image

#7 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

View Postdoh123, on 14 March 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

We could all work together and just build a cool installer like this directly into Wineskin as well...?

Yeah, i would love to help, you might wan't it a bit different to how this is though, so if you tell me your ideas on all the features you wan't in it, i'll try and find a nice way to put them all together.

My idea for this is to make it simple for people that have never ported before and wan't a simple way to install games. You might like it with a few extra features, i personally like it very simple and easy to use but still very useful.
Posted Image

#8 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

View Postthanoulas, on 14 March 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'd be glad to help with this! Another thing that me and cluthz were discussing is the possibility to add an installer to wineskin (or winery) so we could download customised engines. I already maintain two wine git repositories in my mac, one that has wbem partially implemented and one that has a working osx raw input support. I bet there are people here who have even more custom engines like this, and it would make it easy for us to share and for the users to use. (btw, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I just found it relevant with the installer, if it sounds different feel free to move it.)

If you wan't to make a separate app i'll make the designs if you want. If you wan't to help with this Battlefiler is doing the implementation of wineskin, NSObject is doing the Xcode stuff and I'm doing the interface design, so ask the person that you wan't to help.

Sorry but i don't know what half of that stuff you mentioned is "wine git repositories", "osx raw input support", "wbem", you don't need to explain though but I'm not an advanced porter, i'v made a couple of ports on my own but the more advanced porters always make faster ones so mine are obsolete and i don't even bother posting them in the database. So i don't know what most of that stuff mean.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you wan't to help, just ask NSObject or Battlefiler, they are the programmers, and they can tell you what you can help with. I don't know what you can help with though, cause I'm not very involved with that side of the project, but just send one of them a message if you like.
Posted Image

#9 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostKGameLover1, on 15 March 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Sounds epic. The Installer is a little bit lacking in terms of ease-of-use. I'm in!

Thanks,
What do you think is hard to use about it? Or do you mean the old installer?
Posted Image

#10 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Postsamm565, on 16 March 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Thanks,
What do you think is hard to use about it? Or do you mean the old installer?
The old one. I know how to use it now (obviously) but in my lurker days I was a little confused about it. It's gotten better since 2.0.

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#11 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostKGameLover1, on 16 March 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

The old one. I know how to use it now (obviously) but in my lurker days I was a little confused about it. It's gotten better since 2.0.
Sorry, i misunderstood.
Posted Image

#12 Battlefiler

Battlefiler

Veteran Member

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 423 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000 (512mb)
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:Star Wars Battlefront 2

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Im working on a little beta and thank u Doh123 for helping
Posted Image

#13 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Forgot to post this, but i updated the old Installer app to use the new Wineskin a little while ago.
New Link is here if anyone is interested.

Still using Applescript for the selection of the file, so it's without a fancy GUI (but faster :P )
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#14 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

View Postdevilhunter, on 18 March 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

Forgot to post this, but i updated the old Installer app to use the new Wineskin a little while ago.
New Link is here if anyone is interested.

Still using Applescript for the selection of the file, so it's without a fancy GUI (but faster :P )

I'll add that to my post so everybody can easily download.
Posted Image

#15 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Video added to original post.
Posted Image

#16 wMin17

wMin17

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

OMG, this would be great idea!!!

#17 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Images of each step added to post.
Posted Image

#18 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postdoh123, on 14 March 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

It kinda has one already doesn't it, you just double click the wrapper and click "install windows software" or something.
Posted Image

#19 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postsamm565, on 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

It kinda has one already doesn't it, you just double click the wrapper and click "install windows software" or something.
I bet she knows that because she made it :)

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#20 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postthanoulas, on 20 March 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I bet she knows that because she made it :)

Yeah, but she's the one who said "We could all work together and just build a cool installer like this directly into Wineskin as well...?" so i don't know how that i could make the one in wineskin any better, its pretty simple to use already.

I was just pointing it out. Unless she has ideas on how it could be simpler, i don know what i could do. :)
Posted Image

#21 Battlefiler

Battlefiler

Veteran Member

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

doh123 helped me in few things and the wine thing is in the compiling phase if im ready with it i will give it NSObj
Posted Image

#22 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postsamm565, on 20 March 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yeah, but she's the one who said "We could all work together and just build a cool installer like this directly into Wineskin as well...?" so i don't know how that i could make the one in wineskin any better, its pretty simple to use already.

I was just pointing it out. Unless she has ideas on how it could be simpler, i don know what i could do. :)

I'm not arguing here, it just sounded funny :)
I bet she liked your design and wants to implement it in Wineskin, but she knows better, so let's just wait for her reply.

Posted Image

#23 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

View Postthanoulas, on 20 March 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

I'm not arguing here, it just sounded funny :)
I bet she liked your design and wants to implement it in Wineskin, but she knows better, so let's just wait for her reply.

Yeah, i guess :)

Im out of ideas for wineskin implementation, grhhh. C'mon doh123, you got any? :P
Posted Image

#24 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostBattlefiler, on 20 March 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

doh123 helped me in few things and the wine thing is in the compiling phase if im ready with it i will give it NSObj

Awesome, i think there's nothing left to do with the psd, so unless somebody has some ideas for something to put in their, i'll give it to NS when he needs it.

I still have gotta make the icon, its hard to make it better than the old one. But i don't think you guys need that till its nearly finished.
Posted Image<< THE OLD ICON

I don't wan't to have a worse icon in an updated version of installer, that would be just going backwards. Unless me or somebody else can beat that, we'll have to stick with that.

@NSObject If it's not to hard could you put fade transitions between steps like in my video. It makes it look heaps better.
Posted Image

#25 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

All i was talking about is... the current Install method in Wineskin Is simple... but it would help to have more.  A better explanation of what to select... and have it handle programs that do not install... like an option to just select a folder that doesn't need to be installed and copy/move it inside for you, or who knows what else... maybe some options so things can be installed easily so no extra installer is needed.  For Wineskin its built in, and the built in one for Wineskin will work just fine for people wanting to use it for a Cider wrapper... not trying to kill your idea, but sometimes its a pain and confusing to have many applications that have to be used to get something to run.

#26 Battlefiler

Battlefiler

Veteran Member

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

i think i use the newest crossover version (11.0.0) with an wineskin wrapper
Posted Image

#27 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postdoh123, on 21 March 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

All i was talking about is... the current Install method in Wineskin Is simple... but it would help to have more.  A better explanation of what to select... and have it handle programs that do not install... like an option to just select a folder that doesn't need to be installed and copy/move it inside for you, or who knows what else... maybe some options so things can be installed easily so no extra installer is needed.  For Wineskin its built in, and the built in one for Wineskin will work just fine for people wanting to use it for a Cider wrapper... not trying to kill your idea, but sometimes its a pain and confusing to have many applications that have to be used to get something to run.

So your saying that you wan't to make wineskin wrappers have a easy to use installer incorporated into it.

So when you click "install windows software" it opens a window similar to installer, so that when you download a wineskin wrapper you can install the game/app easier.

I just don't know how it could be better than it already is, if you wanted to copy software that doesn't have an installer, you could just have a "show program files in finder" button.

If you wan't a better explanation, maybe you could have a little Posted Image icon on the button that opens a little pop-up window with info about it.
Posted Image
There is only 3 things you would need if you wanted to play a game on your mac. (1.) the game installer, (2.) the wrapper, (3.) installer. I guess you wan't to eliminate the need for #3 but for cider ports and cxz ports you'll still need something to install windows software with. So if your somebody that doesn't just favour wineskin and not get any ports that aren't wineskin, installer will be needed unless you wan't to do another method, like boot camp, vm or download wineskin wrapper. So if everybody has installer on their computers, incorporating it into wineskin might not be needed, and people may never use it anyway.

I'm still happy to help if you wan't me to design the interface, but i don't even know if a more complex installer inside wineskin is even needed to be done. You could do a couple of the things i mentioned above (info button and an additional button) and it would be simple still and won't take much work.

Also if you press the help button it opens up safari, which i think could be incorporated into the app itself.
Posted Image

#28 Battlefiler

Battlefiler

Veteran Member

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

i think wineskin need a new skin :D like ciderx
Posted Image

#29 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

its supposed to be simple, not pretty  :-)

The main menu has the Install and the Screen options separate because often end users and not wrapper makers need to use those.  Everything in Advanced is really for wrapper makers.  Anything I can do to make the installer more user friendly would be good... explaining to end users  more and not assuming its just a wrapper maker thats using it.  I myself rarely use it, I just install by dragging and dropping the install EXE on the wrapper.

#30 samm565

samm565

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationAustralia
    Intel HD 3000

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postdoh123, on 22 March 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

its supposed to be simple, not pretty  :-)

Maybe it could be both?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users