hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

When ever i post a port i always get a comment or pm asking how to use wineskin , How to install the game etc . So to resolve this issue you may notice in my recent ports. I have modified the wineskin.app in the wineskin wrapper to bare Minimum to make it user friendly .  This proved to be very effective :D . Sfter you are done porting you don't need those extra wineskin features anymore.
This wineskin.app is simple to use .
You can get it here : http://www.mediafire...1xlnm813d34c8u1

Wineskin.app before
Posted Image

Wineskin .app With this User friendly version :D
Posted Image
This version adds .
- Embed able instructions
- Porting Team website button
- forgot to remove advanced button . -_- failure :( will remove it later

How to use this version of wineskin.app?

To apply this version , First finish all your porting work and then replace the wineskin.app in your wrapper with this new one

How  To change instructions in instructions Box ?
Go to
show package contents > contents > resources
and edit the in.rtf  file . :D

Feedback and suggestion below please :D
--
HM

#2 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

you and all your projects just do one then go to the next

its ok

#3 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

View Postblinxfrost, on 12 May 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

its ok
Uh , this isn't a project ... Its a modified version of my custom wineskin.app that i put in all my wineskin ports :D
i just uploaded so people can easily download it.

while you are here ... i have a question.
Whats up with all the posts you been posting lately . Most of them are like 5 - 6 words . Stop posting new posts just to get a high rank .
--
HM

#4 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel IRIS Graphics
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

its ok

Made me lol

Posted Image

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

#5 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 12 May 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

Uh , this isn't a project ... Its a modified version of my custom wineskin.app that i put in all my wineskin ports :D
i just uploaded so people can easily download it.

Whats up with all the posts you been posting lately . Most of them are like 5 - 6 words . Stop posting new posts just to get a high rank .
i am not... if i was trying get a higher rank i reply to everything....

#6 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostDanIsTheMan, on 12 May 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

Made me lol
This isn't a project dan. I just posted it here because there isn't anywhere else to put it. I already explained this to blinx :D
--
HM

#7 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 12 May 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

This isn't a project dan. I just posted it here because there isn't anywhere else to put it. I already explained this to blinx :D

Good work on the new user friendly wineskin.app and everything but would it not just be easy to use a 'Hyperlink' on the port page that leads to the tutorial on 'what to do with a wineskin wrapper after you have downloaded it'? Also, i think some people/porters may still prefer the original wineskin.app just so they can view how the port has been configured and how they can edit/improve the port even more.

But still, good work on this smart wineskin.app hmt :)

Posted Image

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

#8 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

View Postblinxfrost, on 12 May 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

i am not... if i was trying get a higher rank i reply to everything....

In the past week you have made something like 100 posts. It was a week or two ago when you received the  'champion member' status lol

Posted Image

#9 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core
  • Graphics Card:The one that in my machine :)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:All games that doesn't bored me to death.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

I don't get champion, I'm lame at that haha. Good job hmtinc.

Edit: Woot I'm at experience member (which I have no clue what that means) but ok..I could be pro.

Time Paradox \/---- By 0(-----------)

#10 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2,379 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Suggestion: Maybe you can add "Test Run and Get Logs" button like "Test Run" button for logs. People can send logs to porters. It's helpful. :)

Good works, hmt.

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ Hackintosh Spec ~ ~ ~

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#11 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 12 May 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

You kind of have a point... he made this when he got the champion member rank... now 606 posts 0_0
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Busted (Ouch) Where jerry springer when you need him hahaha

#13 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostReboot, on 12 May 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Suggestion: Maybe you can add "Test Run and Get Logs" button like "Test Run" button for logs. People can send logs to porters. It's helpful. :)

Good works, hmt.
Do you have any idea how this would be implemented ?
Cause i tried it by using a in app email features for it , but i can't make it so porters can change the email to send error logs to to :(
--
HM

#14 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Dam I wish I can learn how to make engines for this program, Maybe I can do something stuff towards it. I just know pc engine and core.

#15 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2,379 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 12 May 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Do you have any idea how this would be implemented ?
Cause i tried it by using a in app email features for it , but i can't make it so porters can change the email to send error logs to to :(
Email is not good idea. Use pastebin to upload logs and create link. People give link to porter on Porting Team... You can use pastebin API with python.

If pastebin don't works on wineskin... Better make wineskin tell people to save and upload logs to any text website. They can give link to porter... Example:
Posted Image
(This is fake dialog using AppleScript.)

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ Hackintosh Spec ~ ~ ~

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#16 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

I have the best rank, can't you just edit the name on your rank anyway?
Making a wineskin with some more help features are probably not a bad idea.

Anyway, if I were you, Id focus on finishing up your other projects.
Like the Launcher (which ain't a bad idea) instead of starting yet another project.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#17 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

View Postcluthz, on 12 May 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

Like the Launcher (which ain't a bad idea) instead of starting yet another project.
Again , Its not a project . I had this for use in my ports only before ,Now its public :D
--
HM

#18 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

its ok
definitely going in my sig

View Postcluthz, on 12 May 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

You can only change the name if you have the qualifications.
He could just link to the tutorial like Dan said.

Yeah, go finish your other problem projects before you start another.

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#19 Shmeese

Shmeese

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9400
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hello,
This is my first post. I want to say that while I think that the idea of making things easier for people who are just starting with wineskin wrappers is a good one, I don't think that it is a good thing to be removing features from the wineskin app. I think that a new user might benefit from added instructions, like you (hmtinc) have done, but to remove things like the advanced features seems like it will complicate things in the long run and also remove necessary functionality. Also, part of the experience of using wrappers is learning how to use them. People are smart, and would likely benefit from further instructions, but I don't think that people would benefit from removing wineskin features. It seems that what you are doing might make people more dependent on the porter instead of teaching them how to do it themselves. Also, I don't think that it is true that once an app is ported that the advanced features aren't needed. Different apps (and wrappers) run differently on different systems, and customizability is key to making things work for the greatest number of people. Sorry that my first post had to be somewhat negative, but it seems that this implementation of your idea might lead people in the wrong direction, or give them a misleading idea about wineskin.

I do think that it is interesting that you are modifying the wineskin app. If you are going to continue using this method, I suggest that you somehow make it clear from within your modified app that you have modified the original wineskin app so that people don't get confused.

By all means, let me know what you think about these observations.

#20 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostDanIsTheMan, on 12 May 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Good work on the new user friendly wineskin.app and everything but would it not just be easy to use a 'Hyperlink' on the port page that leads to the tutorial on 'what to do with a wineskin wrapper after you have downloaded it'? Also, i think some people/porters may still prefer the original wineskin.app just so they can view how the port has been configured and how they can edit/improve the port even more.
I think if you are going to modify Wineskin like this you need to point that out in the description.
If you are going to remove the advanced button (like you did in some previous ports), it makes fixing any bugs in the port harder, especially for new users which is who you are trying to help.

A perfect example is your Rollercoaster Tycoon port.
You didn't have fullscreen working and I told you how to fix that using a simple winetricks install.
Under you current wrapper a new user CAN'T just start Wineskin, run winetricks and enable the feature they need.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#21 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

If you have some ideas how it can be more user friendly, you can always suggest them so they can go into Wineskin itself, instead of a forked version... because anytime main Wineskin gets updated, you'll have to redo your stuff.

We could add an option like "display extra help on main window" so that porters could enable it and it would show more, but I'd want to do it a little more fancy than yours, maybe add some graphics, or make it use a PDF anyone can make.... I dunno.

Best place to make suggestions is adding a tracker in the Task List at the sourceforge project... so its not forgotten.  You can post on the Wineskin support forum, and hope I remember to go create a tracker... or if you do something you really like and want in, you can always submit a patch file so I don't have to do the work myself.

View PostDigital404, on 12 May 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Dam I wish I can learn how to make engines for this program, Maybe I can do something stuff towards it. I just know pc engine and core.
Wineskin engines

Install Apple's Xcode IDE
Download the wine source code you want to use, apply patch files or whatever it is your doing to the wine source to get it ready.
Launch Wineskin Winery, and press + to add an engine.
Choose Custom engine
Name your engine, and choose the location of the wine source code your using...
Press the update button to update the engine base if you don't have the latest...
Then press build... and follow the directions that come up, and it should build an engine for you.

The only part thats really hard is getting the Wine source code ready how you want it... doing the build is easy.

#22 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Author

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't really see how that thing is supposed to be more user-friendly. In fact I'd say it's worse with all that text and wasted grey space. You can easily included well readable instructions along the port as a PDF, no need for a custom Wineskin.app. I even made a Pages template for port instructions... seems like that thread has been lost when convertig to the new board

Posted Image

And here is what the finished DMG with port and instructions looks like:
Posted Image

Get it here:
http://dl.dropbox.co...rt.template.zip
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users