#1 bjo885

bjo885

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hello.  I own a copy of Fallout: New Vegas on my Steam account and I am trying to play it on my Macbook Air (2011).  I downloaded wineskin, created a new wrapper, and used winetricks to install in it the PC version of Steam.  PC Steam runs pretty well.  Within this, I used Steam to download the game (clicked "install" in the Steam library).  The download went fine.  I disabled Steam Community for the times when the game is running.   I opened the game and it said it must install DirectX.  Then I got to the game launcher, which ran fine.  I clicked "launch" (or "play," whatever it's called in the launcher) and the game began to boot.  However, once I got to the title screen, I could not move my mouse beyond a certain section of the in-game screen (like the lower-right quarter of it or so).  I tried again, this time in windowed mode (from settings in the FONV launcher).  This was much worse; the game began to launch but then my screen became only a box (with the edges of the widescreen being black) and inside of that box was not Fallout but Steam, on my library page.  I could not even quit "Steam" through any regular means as it says I must wait for Fallout: New Vegas to close.  Thus, on subsequent launches, I went back to Fullscreen mode and now encountered the original mouse glitch.

I have seen that there are some Wrappers specifically made for installing and running Fallout: New Vegas.  I downloaded one of these; however, I don't know which files to copy/move to where.  This is the Steam version of the game, so I'm not sure if it comes with an "installer folder," as Steam does the installing.

Basically, I want to know the best way to get my copy of the game running on my mac.  If it changes anything, I have all the DLC but Courier's Stash and would like to play with all the DLC I own.

I am pretty new to using wineskin, etc. (read: started today), so very specific instructions and information would be best.  Thanks a lot in advance!

#2 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

i'm sure there is a few things to do to get that game to work, but the mouse stuck in a section is an XInput2 problem, so you may want to try one of the NoXInput2 engines.

#3 bjo885

bjo885

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

View Postdoh123, on 29 June 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

i'm sure there is a few things to do to get that game to work, but the mouse stuck in a section is an XInput2 problem, so you may want to try one of the NoXInput2 engines.

So what exactly does this entail?  Do I install Steam on a new Wrapper in a version without XInput2, then install New Vegas on that new wrapper through steam?

I downloaded one of the engines that said NoXInput2, but I still had the mouse problem.  Would removing the non-NoXInput2 engine from my list on Winery help at all?

Additionally, I managed to get the mouse in a position to start a new game.  After the opening cutscene, the game froze at the first loading screen.  Any advice?

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

you download the engine in Winery... then you go in Wineskin.app inside your wrapper, to advanced and change out the engine to the new one... a wrapper only has 1.

#5 bjo885

bjo885

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ok, so I got the mouse problem fixed (sort of; it still moves kinda weird).  However, the game still crashes on the first load screen after the opening cutscene.  Any ideas?

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

I doubt its easy to get working...
there is a wrapper in the database, and it looks like it took a lot of work and a custom engine.
http://portingteam.c...lout-new-vegas/

#7 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel IRIS Graphics
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

have you tried just using mousewarpoverride=force_edge? or in otherwords mwo=force_edge

Posted Image

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

#8 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostDanIsTheMan, on 29 June 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

have you tried just using mousewarpoverride=force_edge? or in otherwords mwo=force_edge

you need a patch to do force_edge :)

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#9 bjo885

bjo885

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postdoh123, on 29 June 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

I doubt its easy to get working...
there is a wrapper in the database, and it looks like it took a lot of work and a custom engine.
http://portingteam.c...lout-new-vegas/

I have already downloaded this Wrapper, but I'm not sure what I do with it.  Do I have to move specific game files from my current wrapper into this other wrapper?  If I do so, will I still be able to launch the game through Steam?  Or is there some other way to launch the game?

Alternatively, do I have to install Steam in this New Vegas-specific wrapper and then download a new copy of New Vegas from steam in the new wrapper?

Basically, I'm not really sure how to get New Vegas working when my only access to the game files is through Steam.

#10 zombiepigman

zombiepigman

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Graphics Card:NvidiaGT9400
    Nvidia GTX 570 1280MB
  • I like to play:Fallout 3 / New Vegas
    Bioshock
    The binding of issac
    L4D
    old classic mac games.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi
I've been running Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition on my Macbook for some time now and as you might and might know this version requires Steam. How I got it working and this might be different for your situation, but give this a try.
1) Installed steam and Fallout New Vagas on a PC.
2) Copied the Steam folder from the program folder; including the FNV folder and files. The folder should be around 10GB or less.
3) Downloaded the FNV wrapper off here.
4) Right clicked or ctrl clicked on the wrapper, then clicked on the show package contents.
5) Use the shortcut for the C drive and find a folder called Games and then FalloutNV.
6) Paste your coped steam folder in this "FalloutNV" folder. This might take some time as the file is rather big.
7) Open the Winskin program in the wrapper and go to advanced, where it asks you for the windows exe, I.E the program you want to open, click on browse and find the steam.exe
8) Click done or click on Test run (Debug Mode). You should be greeted by the steam login window. You might have to set-up a new computer with steam, so keep your email client handy.

I know installing it on a PC seem madness, why play it on a Mac when you have a PC, but hey, that's how I did it and it works and has been working since March.

You might want to just copy the Steam folder from one wrapper into another and start from step 5 in my list.

From what I remember I did have some crashed at first but I may have been using a different wrapper. The only problems I did find where, after you leave the doctors house, the game did crash. After that I must have updated the wrapper to a newer one and it runs fine now. I do have the occasional freeze up or crash when opening up my pip-boy, but that just small stuff, the game should be fully playable. Ho yes, vats might make the game freeze, so keep that in mind when playing.

I hope this helps.

#11 suehprom2004

suehprom2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

View Postzombiepigman, on 25 July 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Hi
I've been running Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition on my Macbook for some time now and as you might and might know this version requires Steam. How I got it working and this might be different for your situation, but give this a try.
1) Installed steam and Fallout New Vagas on a PC.
2) Copied the Steam folder from the program folder; including the FNV folder and files. The folder should be around 10GB or less.
3) Downloaded the FNV wrapper off here.
4) Right clicked or ctrl clicked on the wrapper, then clicked on the show package contents.
5) Use the shortcut for the C drive and find a folder called Games and then FalloutNV.
6) Paste your coped steam folder in this "FalloutNV" folder. This might take some time as the file is rather big.
7) Open the Winskin program in the wrapper and go to advanced, where it asks you for the windows exe, I.E the program you want to open, click on browse and find the steam.exe
8) Click done or click on Test run (Debug Mode). You should be greeted by the steam login window. You might have to set-up a new computer with steam, so keep your email client handy.

I know installing it on a PC seem madness, why play it on a Mac when you have a PC, but hey, that's how I did it and it works and has been working since March.

You might want to just copy the Steam folder from one wrapper into another and start from step 5 in my list.

From what I remember I did have some crashed at first but I may have been using a different wrapper. The only problems I did find where, after you leave the doctors house, the game did crash. After that I must have updated the wrapper to a newer one and it runs fine now. I do have the occasional freeze up or crash when opening up my pip-boy, but that just small stuff, the game should be fully playable. Ho yes, vats might make the game freeze, so keep that in mind when playing.

I hope this helps.

In addition to this, I also found a no-Steam crack, that allows for the game to run without the original steam.  Hopefully it works in addressing the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users