So, I've managed to make the launcher connect to the service (I'm now talking about pure wine, not my own launcher).
It downloads the game fine, extracts the files, and then tries to decompress something. I got an error decompressing, but maybe I can fix that with some winetrick.
I tried running the game after that, and it starts, but it complains that some files are missing (obviously)
I guess at this point the game would be playable if someone tried to install on bootcamp or parallels and move the needed files in the wrapper. But you all know, that's not good enough for me. I hope I'll find a solution today, if not, I'll upload the wrapper here for some help, hopefully someone can make it run properly
Resurrecting threads I see...if your using the Mac version then that's a different story. The steam version for me ran capped at 30 fps and ran like junk but the non steal version ran perfect at 60 fps and both at dx11. I also played the non steam version on a 670 as my 6950 cooler failed which could have been a contributing factor. And besides my 6950 and 670 blow your mobile 6750 out of the water.
Ok got it running with reloaded fixed exe in Wine1.3.7 although having graphic glitches and no sound (apart from videos)
Not sure if all the steps are necessary but here they are:
- Dishonored seems to need dotnet3.5sp1 so I made a fresh Wine1.3.29 wrapper since net3.5 install on engines past 1.3.30 doesn't seem to work (first did winetricks dotnet3.5 -> *then dotnet3.5sp1 (when I tried just using winetricks net3.5sp1 it broke somewhere midway the first time))
- Got black screen - so used winetricks d3d9_36 & _42 (not sure if necessary cause it didnt fix black screen in that engine)
- Changed to Wine1.3.7 which fixed black screen
- Ran a new game, had no ingame-sound apart from video, couldnt change resolution (just got a white screen) and getting graphic glitches (see pic below)
- Tried disabling glsl but breaks
- Doesnt run on my internal graphics (Intel HD 3000 - only getting white screen)
Gonna try a little more tonight, maybe someone else can pick it up in the mean time?
p.s. also tried cider7604 but no luck - just closes
There are still a few kinks that I'd want to sort out in the wrapper, but the game plays pretty well as far as I've went. I haven't tried multiplayer yet.
The damn Options menu seems to have a life of its own. Might be a crack issue, or an actual bug with the game. I'm now creating a nice custom launcher / configuration tool that is going to have MANY options for graphics etc.
Big news: Tribes: Ascend is now on Steam! If this one doesn't need the Hi-Rez Authentication Service and instead uses your Steam username and password, it might be easy to port unlike the version directly from their website!
Allow me to say a couple of things:
First of all, the game cannot reach the login screens. This involves reversing and disabling of the auth process, which doesn't fully work. We need proper authentication, as their own launcher does to run the game and stay connected to the servers.
Second, you don't have the reason why we need to develop a custom launcher instead of using their own in wine. This, for anyone that doesn't know, is because it's written in .NET and remoting objects don't work in wine. So I've developed the launcher to work with Mono instead, but there's only so much of the source code I can see in their own launcher. The project still makes use of their own PatcherEngine, PatcherMisc, PatcherData and HirezUtils dlls (only public objects).
Third and most important, there's no need to reveal my real name to them. I bet they're smart enough to use google to find it, it shouldn't be that difficult if they really want it. We send this message as a group of people - a community that requires immediate attention to be able to use their product. We are their potential customers and that should be interesting enough for them.