Multiple pointers, protection, etc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bongo999

bongo999

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Graphices 4000 (on MacBook Air, Nov 2012)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to use Bit Slicer to modify some Apple App Store games for OSX 10.8

I've successfully modified some games, basically giving myself more coins for example.

However some games seem to be more difficult!

-Let's say I do a fresh Bit Slicer search for "483", because I have 483 coins.
-Then I get something like 93 results.
-Now, simply scrolling the Bit Slicer search results (up and down) seems to refresh the data for many, if not all, of the results. This is with me not doing anything in the game.
-This is making it hard identifying what is the real value to work with.

QUESTION: Is what I'm encountering some kind of real-time protection in the game? Something like creating multiple pointers which are cycled randomly... essentially creating a constantly moving target. Am I right in thinking this?

Just for kicks, sometimes I try doing a select-all on all of the search results (93 in the above example) and changing all of their values at once... like 99999. The value takes place for a moment, however there is no change in the game (still 483 coins) and returning to Bit Slicer and scrolling a bit refreshes things and many of the results change to something other than 99999, however some still maintain 99999 for awhile.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Zorg

Zorg

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSpace
  • Graphics Card:I don't know.
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:Arcade, Side Scrollers

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

View Postbongo999, on 11 April 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Hello,

I'm trying to use Bit Slicer to modify some Apple App Store games for OSX 10.8

I've successfully modified some games, basically giving myself more coins for example.

However some games seem to be more difficult!

-Let's say I do a fresh Bit Slicer search for "483", because I have 483 coins.
-Then I get something like 93 results.
-Now, simply scrolling the Bit Slicer search results (up and down) seems to refresh the data for many, if not all, of the results. This is with me not doing anything in the game.
-This is making it hard identifying what is the real value to work with.

After you perform your initial search for 483 coins, you want to change the number of coins you have in-game, and do another search to narrow down the results from your last search, until you get a selection of reliable variables. I think you already know this, but I'm mentioning this just in case.

View Postbongo999, on 11 April 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

QUESTION: Is what I'm encountering some kind of real-time protection in the game? Something like creating multiple pointers which are cycled randomly... essentially creating a constantly moving target. Am I right in thinking this?

Just for kicks, sometimes I try doing a select-all on all of the search results (93 in the above example) and changing all of their values at once... like 99999. The value takes place for a moment, however there is no change in the game (still 483 coins) and returning to Bit Slicer and scrolling a bit refreshes things and many of the results change to something other than 99999, however some still maintain 99999 for awhile.

This does not have to be a sort of protection. Some values may just not be stored in a straightforward way in memory. Another approach may be to compare against stored values at a point of time. I'd hope to think if there were a pointer, it wouldn't be changing too frequently. The reason some of the values change is that the program is changing them frequently. You could find the instructions that writes to a variable and NOP (no-operation) them, but you shouldn't do this unless you are sure you found the variable you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users