Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

I was experimenting with getting games to run and I noticed that the xserver in the 2.6.0 wrapper is a 1.13.x. The release XQuartz (2.7.6) is now on server 1.14.6, and i had to switch to it to avoid a GLX error. I also noticed that the release candidate for 2.7.7 is already on server 1.15.2.

Would it be a lot of work to make a 2.6.1 wrapper with an update to the X11 components?

#2 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

yes, its a lot of work... every time I update X and Mesa and all that stuff, it causes a lot of issues.

I'm planning on looking into all the changes with 2.7.7 when its released and maybe trying out a new WineskinX11 build.

#3 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

I was afraid of that. I shall wait patiently, then :).

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

I was hoping the Mac Driver would be able to be a replacement and not need to worry about X11 that much... sadly, i don't think they want to add all the features in it that it needs... and I don't really think i have the time to try myself, then make all the changes Like i have for WineskinX11... Also, every game I've played, I haven't gotten any benefit from the Mac Driver either, so its been a bit of a let down for me.

#5 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

The main benefit for the Mac driver for me is that it lets me switch easily (cmd-tab) between the application and normal OS X. I can never find the right key combination to swap and/or get in and out of fullscreen with the X11 driver, and I sometimes have to reboot entirely when the app hangs in fullscreen. Other that that I don't much care which one I use.

That and there are a few places where the X11 gives errors that the Mac driver seems to avoid. But few.

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

View Postovvldc, on 17 August 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

The main benefit for the Mac driver for me is that it lets me switch easily (cmd-tab) between the application and normal OS X. I can never find the right key combination to swap and/or get in and out of fullscreen with the X11 driver, and I sometimes have to reboot entirely when the app hangs in fullscreen. Other that that I don't much care which one I use.

That and there are a few places where the X11 gives errors that the Mac driver seems to avoid. But few.

CMD+Q should always be able to force quit WineskinX11.

CMD+Tab should always toggle fullscreen.

#7 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Yes. But it doesn't always work like that.

Sometimes I CMD-Q, and then there is still the X11 window that overlaps everything. If I then CMD-Q again and hit Enter, it stops and I get my desktop back. CMD-Tab is hit and miss, often it does nothing if the application is hanging and eating too much CPU.

#8 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well, XQuartz 2.7.7 is out now, but it doesn't fix my problems (maybe some but others persist). Not sure if it is a really big deal after all.
It also doesn't have updated Mesa. So if you want to have more bugs to swat, best wait for the next release ;).

Also, the times when the key combinations stop working is when my application hangs and starts overeating on CPU.

#9 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

FYI, XQuartz 2.7.8rc3 just came out, and it has an updated Mesa at version 11.0.3.

I'm unsure how long it will take to get to a proper release, but it may finally make sense to start playing with it.

#10 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

Looks like XQuartz 2.7.9 is on its way with a fix for an OpenGL glitch. Not sure if anyone has had that glitch, but it might be worth trying the new X to get rid of it.

Keep an eye on the release page at http://www.xquartz.o...ases/index.html for progress binaries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users