jm0609

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:nvidia
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Porting Request:
EA has always put out a version for mac users but it looks like they forgot about us for the time being. Would love to see this happen for the Mac players.

Game Description:
The Sims 4. You know. ;)

Posted Image

AppDB Link:
https://appdb.winehq...rsion&iId=30773

I think the person that tried to port was new at it. Because they error they were getting was "The Installation does not complete. This is due to Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package." which is something I know can be fixed.
AppDB Rating:

Wikipedia Information:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/The_Sims_4

#2 outback

outback

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:MacPro Radeon HD 6870 2G
    macbook pro nvidia 650GT 1G
    macbook pro AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2G
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:Games
    Using mac apps

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

I hope this can be fixed EA have fallen beyond the times as more osx users are out thee than ever before i have the game installed via bootcamp /windows yuck just want to run it on osx like it should be :)

#3 jm0609

jm0609

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:nvidia
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

I have it on Parallels but it's just not the same experience.

#4 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVidia Geforce GTX 760
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

First Steps would probably be to use a Wine Engine above 1.7.25 (for fixing this bug: https://bugs.winehq....ug.cgi?id=17273) and install Visual CC 2013 through Winetricks. Origin is usually working in Wine.

I don't own the game, but I tried installing Visual CC 2013 manually. With 1.7.26, at least the installation itself can start and show a proper interface, but aborts nonetheless. I'm not sure if overriding the Vcrun dlls will help the game or if the whole runtime has to be installed. The newest report on the AppDB says, the game fails to start, even with applied winetricks and 1.7.26, quote:

- So I Build a new Wineprefix
- Install C++ 2013 over WineTricks
- Install DX 9

Game Launches with a Black Screen and crash after 2 secconds

fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x31495441 (as fourcc: ATI1) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x31495441) in the format

Edit: Googled a bit and found out, that additonally to Vcrun 2013, the vp6 codecs (which apparently come with the game) have to be installed as well, didn't test it out yet though. Here's a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP6

#5 outback

outback

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:MacPro Radeon HD 6870 2G
    macbook pro nvidia 650GT 1G
    macbook pro AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2G
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:Games
    Using mac apps

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

any luck getting this running ? my windows 8.1 died crashed and couldent repair it format job so im just not bothering again widows it utter rubbish need this on osx now :)

#6 tronfan

tronfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 4000

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:26 PM

A Mac port was recently confirmed, but no date yet

#7 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Just wanted to report, that with the newest cracked Version of the Sims (Reloaded), which doesn't require Origin to start (but maybe installed), the game works now on Wine. Still some graphic issues with the interface but its totally playable judged by the time I tested it. But it nonetheless is the cracked version unfortunately, so it's not an ideal solution. Apparently Visual CC 2013 is only required by Origin and Sims 4 together, not Sims 4 alone. Tested this on Wine 1.7.29.

#8 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GT750M 2GB

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Are you going to share a port, or details on how you made it run? Because mine requires VC2013 for the reloaded dll and once it launches it crashes to the desktop with a Python PY_Init error.

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#9 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

I did install Python into the Wrapper I'm playing with a few days ago for a different game, but didn't think this would cause Sims 4 to run. Maybe thats the key, but I'm not sure. I figured, that the Reloaded Crack did make the game work. Winetricks Vcrun 2013 and Python 27 would be a start. And I can upload the wrapper of course. I'm trying to reproduce this and report back.

Edit: Made it work in another wrapper. I applied Vcrun 2013 Winetricks, installed Python 27 from here: https://www.python.o...ython-2.7.8.msi  And wxPython after that, from here:
http://sourceforge.n...27.exe/download

Sims 4 started right up. Interface Glitches persist, but it is playable. Don't know if the issues are resulting from Wine or my graphics card though. Other things I have applied to my wrapper:
.NET 3.5, msxml3/4, xact, vcrun2005/2008/2012, gdiplus and a native mscms.dll. All on a Windowx XP prefix.

If it  doesn't work for you I will upload my wrapper, but it will take some time.

Maybe I should test the original Version with origin again... I'll report back if I have any news.

#10 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know. It looks like the bundled Python33.dll is not working in Wine right now.

Edit: I've created a new Wine 1.7.29 wrapper + VCRun2013 + Python2.7 + wxPython. Game still crashes with the same error. I'll try the rest of your winetricks now, see if it's any of the other ones that makes it run.
By the way, I'm running 10.10, what OS X are you on?

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#11 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

Unfortunately this didn't work. I've installed all your winetricks, and I still get the same behaviour. Can you please upload your wrapper so I can test and make sure the problem is not 10.10 Yosemite?

Posted Image

#12 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

No problem and sorry for the inconvenience. It is also likely that I am just forgetting some small dll or setting I made weeks ago. While I'm uploading, can you try my Elite Force I + II Wrapper, update the Engine, and apply Vcrun 2013 Winetricks and Python? It has a similar setup to what I am uploading now and maybe it works.

Edit: I'm on OSX 10.9.5

#13 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Sure, what Engine are you running? I thought you said it's 1.7.29, but I don't get this option in Winetricks, and I can't build on my machine as it currently fails on 10.10 for some reason.

Edit: Your wrapper with the WS9Wine1.7.28 engine stops with a ws2_32 related error, as my own does with 1.7.28. So it must be that you have custom built a 1.7.29 engine yourself?

Posted Image

#14 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, I compiled the 1.7.29 Engine recently. But without any fancy setups or options. Just the normal package from wineHQ. According to your posts above I thought you had done that as well. But heres the link to the Sims Wrapper, which has 1.7.29 already set: http://www.mediafire..._testwrapper.7z I hope it works but I'm just not sure anymore. Yosemite may be the problem here. Otherwise you have to wait for doh123 to implement the newest Engine for the Wineskin Winery.

#15 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostZephon, on 21 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Yes, I compiled the 1.7.29 Engine recently. According to your posts above I thought you had done that as well for using it for my Elite Force Wrapper. But heres the link to the Sims Wrapper, which has 1.7.29 already set: http://www.mediafire..._testwrapper.7z I hope it works but I'm just not sure anymore. Yosemite may be the problem here.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding, I compiled a wrapper for my own porting tool, Barrel. I can't compile Wineskin engines on my mac anymore because I've completely changed my setup and it unfortunately breaks it. So it's either Barrel that breaks Python now, or 10.10. I'm downloading your wrapper and we'll soon know!
Thanks for the help! :)

Edit: It works! Now let's see why it does :) I'll keep you updated. I'll optimise it and give you a nice slimmed down setup without the glitches, so you can post it ;)

Posted Image

#16 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Now let's see why it does

Thats what I'm asking myself. I tested this on a wrapper without python and it crashed like your setup, installed it and it worked... So something else has to be in there that I installed previously and totally forgot about. And in advance: thanks for the help! I was worried for a moment that this thing just works for me and I was wasting your time :)

#17 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

No worries, I just want to play the game :)

I am starting to think it's something else you installed. I'm making a list of all your changes and going through them now. Your compiled 1.7.29 engine + Python 2.7 + wxPython in a clean wrapper produces the same Python error that I was getting. So it's something else.

Edit: I think I found the answer and it's rather annoying :| Let me double check this and I'll post instructions for a clean minimal wrapper. Then feel free to post this in the db for everyone ;)

Posted Image

#18 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think I found the answer and it's rather annoying :| Let me double check this and I'll post instructions for a clean minimal wrapper. Then feel free to post this in the db for everyone

Thanks for the heads up! I hope I didn't mess it up to much...

#19 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

Found what's going on. Nothing about you messing up anything, I wouldn't have found it without your wrapper :)

Install the game in a fresh 1.7.29 wrapper, and install VCRun2013 from winetricks. No need for Python or anything else for that matter.
Go to advanced configuration and make sure the "Use Start.exe" checkbox is ticked. That's what's been causing all the trouble :mellow:
Play.

You can optionally install the winetricks configuration for video memory. Mine was detected as 256MB when it's 2GB.
I haven't played at all, but the game seems to be running. Will test more once I'm back home from work!

Zephon, feel free to create a fresh clean wrapper and post it on the db, for instant download success B)
Just make sure you create a new empty wrapper from wineskin winery, some of your installed dlls may be causing the glitches. I haven't tested extensively though.

Posted Image

#20 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Update

The game runs amazingly fast. I've set it to Ultra settings and the framerate is well above 45 on my rMBP's GT750M
The only problem is that the UI looks like the colours are inverted, or wrong. No setting fixes that. I haven't tried overriding DirectX dll's yet (although the game runs on OpenGL by the looks of it). The only directx dlls that are loaded are dxdiagn and quartz.

Posted Image

#21 Zephon

Zephon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

Oh god. That was a step I never would have thought of. It runs exactly as you mentioned. No big installations or workarounds. Although I tried with an earlier crack (the one that still requires origin) and it didn't work. So getting the original game to run without a crack might not be possible yet.

The only problem is that the UI looks like the colours are inverted, or wrong.

Same problem here. It runs well but no chance on getting the interface to look more pleseant. Tried the DirectX dlls. Doesn't seem to fix it. Tried registry settings as well (backbuffer, strict draw ordering, glsl, readdraw etc.) and no changes.

#22 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'd report the problem to the wine devs, but they don't like getting involved in cracked games, so unless we can make the original game work, we'll have to put up with it. It's not massively terrible though!

Posted Image

#23 crashoverridese

crashoverridese

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Saphiron Radeon 7950HD for Mac

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

With the Wine Egnine 1.7.31 the UI looks a little Bit better and not so Yellow / orange, but also has a White Flickering Texture problem

#24 macraider

macraider

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD6970 2048MB

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Hello everyone. Thank you for your suggestions to run The Sims 4 on OS X. I have a last trouble: running the game via Origin. After the download the installing is interrupt by a warning about VC 2013 installing. I tried a cracked version without Origin and is running fine, except some missing elements in the graphics (specially the checkmarks Yes/No). I have the original, so I would like to play the last update even on my Mac with OS X Yosemite. I just wanted to share my experience, so far I couldn't do because the game is downloaded but not installed.

#25 macraider

macraider

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View Postthanoulas, on 21 October 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Found what's going on. Nothing about you messing up anything, I wouldn't have found it without your wrapper :)

Install the game in a fresh 1.7.29 wrapper, and install VCRun2013 from winetricks. No need for Python or anything else for that matter.
Go to advanced configuration and make sure the "Use Start.exe" checkbox is ticked. That's what's been causing all the trouble :mellow:
Play.

You can optionally install the winetricks configuration for video memory. Mine was detected as 256MB when it's 2GB.
I haven't played at all, but the game seems to be running. Will test more once I'm back home from work!

Zephon, feel free to create a fresh clean wrapper and post it on the db, for instant download success B)
Just make sure you create a new empty wrapper from wineskin winery, some of your installed dlls may be causing the glitches. I haven't tested extensively though.
So, I tried the test wrapper by zaphon in this thread. The game won't install after downloading with Origin, although works with the cracked version. I would like to create a new blank wrapper as you suggested. Now I'm stuck again with a silly error installing VC 2013
Invalid checksum trying to download again... Error I can't install VC 2013 with wine tricks. I deleted the cache files and tried again, but I can't make it, again.  Any suggestions, please?

#26 eradicator006

eradicator006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

View Postmacraider, on 07 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

So, I tried the test wrapper by zaphon in this thread. The game won't install after downloading with Origin, although works with the cracked version. I would like to create a new blank wrapper as you suggested. Now I'm stuck again with a silly error installing VC 2013
Invalid checksum trying to download again... Error I can't install VC 2013 with wine tricks. I deleted the cache files and tried again, but I can't make it, again.  Any suggestions, please?

You're getting the crc error  because vc 2013 has been updated since the last public available version of winetricks.  Create a new wineskin wrapper and update winetricks using the button. Download this: https://winetricks.g...76508535793.zip and replace the winetricks in your wrapper with it.  You'll be able to install vc 2013 after doing that.

#27 macraider

macraider

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

View Posteradicator006, on 03 March 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

You're getting the crc error  because vc 2013 has been updated since the last public available version of winetricks.  Create a new wineskin wrapper and update winetricks using the button. Download this: https://winetricks.g...76508535793.zip and replace the winetricks in your wrapper with it.  You'll be able to install vc 2013 after doing that.
Thank you so much, Eradicator, but, as you may know, the Sims 4 for Mac is now available; and I didn't have to pay again. Via Origin>Purchased games, now appears on the Mac and working great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users