• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

I had a very, very bizarre issue yesterday. During my break at work I was testing out some wineskin ported programs and games on my Macbook, and they all worked flawlessly. Before I left for home that day I tested them once more, still working fine.

However the moment I got home and tried them out (still on the exact same Macbook), they stopped working completely. The icon on the dock shows that it's open for a few seconds then closes without any windows or alerts at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I can't remember if there's a way to provide logs of the runs, so if there is I'd be happy to learn how to do that to to hopefully make things easier.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

UPDATE: I can confirm that my windows programs only seem to be working when I'm at work. I do not understand how the location of my macbook is affecting how my wineskin wrappers run.

Edited by chaosunown, 20 February 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#2 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

indeed a strange bug.
Info about procuring logs can be found here:
http://portingteam.c...-get-good-help/

Btw, I guess you have tried a reboot of the computer?

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#3 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

View Postcluthz, on 20 February 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

indeed a strange bug.
Info about procuring logs can be found here:
http://portingteam.c...-get-good-help/

Btw, I guess you have tried a reboot of the computer?

Thank you, I'll try and get some logs later.

I also tried something. I turned my wi-fi off, and you know what? The programs stopped working, and here I am on a short break at my work. I turned the wi-fi back on and the wineskin wrappers were working again. I don't know how, there's something about my work's wi-fi connection that's causing them to work correctly.

#4 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

View Postchaosunown, on 20 February 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Thank you, I'll try and get some logs later.

I also tried something. I turned my wi-fi off, and you know what? The programs stopped working, and here I am on a short break at my work. I turned the wi-fi back on and the wineskin wrappers were working again. I don't know how, there's something about my work's wi-fi connection that's causing them to work correctly.

Could it be that you have apps that need a working net to run?
Sounds like a DRM- issue.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#5 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

View Postcluthz, on 20 February 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Could it be that you have apps that need a working net to run?
Sounds like a DRM- issue.

I don't think any of them need the net to run, if that was the case my wifi at home would have made them work too.
Is there any way to prevent the wrappers from needing to establish any connection to the net? Maybe that'll help.

EDIT: It has also come to my attention that when the wifi is off (or using the wifi at home) not only will the game not run, but I can't access Config Utility, Registry Editor, or any of the wineskin options.

Edited by chaosunown, 20 February 2015 - 04:24 PM.

#6 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

It sounds like there might be some wine processes running in the background that never quit properly. Open up your activity monitor to check if there are wine processes running. If so, highlight them and click on Force Quit to turn them off. Once all wine processes have been killed try your apps again. Location should not have any bearing on wether or not the apps will run.

#7 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostDankoB, on 20 February 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

It sounds like there might be some wine processes running in the background that never quit properly. Open up your activity monitor to check if there are wine processes running. If so, highlight them and click on Force Quit to turn them off. Once all wine processes have been killed try your apps again. Location should not have any bearing on wether or not the apps will run.

I looked in the activity monitor, but couldn't find any processes with "wine" in them, unless they show up with a different name.

Also here is a download link to some logs after two test runs, one with the wifi on, and the other with the wifi off:
http://www.mediafire...fuc4ds/Logs.zip

#8 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

I apologize for the double post, but I also have an additional log to share. This test run was done when I was testing out the program, then turned off the wifi while the program was still open. I would really love to figure out how to not make the wrapper dependent on an internet connection to run properly, because that's what I think is happening while I was testing this.

Link to the log below:

http://www.mediafire...Special Log.zip

#9 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

what programs or games are you running? Have you updated anything on your computer lately?

#10 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Well I'm trying to run Lode Runner Mad Monk's Revenge, Lode Runner 2, and Switchball to name a couple, all of which were working perfectly until about a couple months ago (then this thing with the wifi happened yesterday, so I had thought I begun to understand the problem better).

The last big thing I updated on my macbook was upgrading from Mavericks 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, which was a while ago.

Also is there anything worth salvaging from those logs I linked?

#11 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

it looked like the game was trying to open in a resolution that is not supported by your computer but I'm not entirely certain. Do you know if there are any files associated to those games in which you can manually change the resolution? Perhaps you could try running them in windowed mode. Have you tried updating the Wineskin wrappers themselves?

#12 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostDankoB, on 20 February 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

it looked like the game was trying to open in a resolution that is not supported by your computer but I'm not entirely certain. Do you know if there are any files associated to those games in which you can manually change the resolution? Perhaps you could try running them in windowed mode. Have you tried updating the Wineskin wrappers themselves?

One game in particular, Lode Runner 2, requires that it run in 640 x 480 16-bit color mode. Of course that was never a problem since it was already in windowed mode and I could make it run 16-bit by adjusting a line in the info.plist file (though I'm not sure why that doesn't work when it runs through xQuartz).

I have tried updating the wrappers (even when it told me that no update was needed), and when I did a test run I got this in the wine log:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window

#13 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

ah...I think I may know. What version of wine are you using? It could be possible that it's an older version and you are trying to run the program using the mac driver perhaps?

#14 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

Well according to the specs, the wrapper version is Wineskin 2.6.0 for all 3 games. Is there something wrong there?

EDIT: For the engines, Lode Runner 2  is WS8Wine1.4, Lode Runner Mad Monk's is WS8Wine 1.3.9, and Switchball is WS8wine 1.4 again.

Edited by chaosunown, 21 February 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#15 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Apologies for the double post again, but is there any response on what might be wrong with the versions of wineskin these wrappers are running?

#16 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

WS8 is an old version of the Wineskin engines. I'd suggest using Wineskin Winery to change the engine version to a newer WS9 engine. You can download all available WS9 engines directly through Winery.

#17 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Alright, I changed one of the game's engine to WS9Wine 1.7.36, it still opened and closed without any reason, and when I did a test run I got this log:

err:font:AddFaceToList Ignoring L"Avenir Next Condensed Ultra Light" because name is too long
err:font:AddFaceToList Ignoring L"Avenir Next Condensed Ultra Light" because name is too long
The explorer process failed to start.

#18 lavadrop

lavadrop

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:42 AM

I have the exact same problem with the exact same errors.

#19 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

You know as I'm looking at all the logs I shared I keep noticing a driver not being found or loaded. What is this driver, and why am I missing it? Is there also a way to get it back? Haha

#20 Goomgrab

Goomgrab

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nividia

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

I'm having this problem as well. i keep getting logs saying that it couldn't load a driver. what happened to the driver? I swear to god I had it before I upgraded to Mavericks. I just want to get it back so I can play these games again

#21 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

I've tried just about everything within my power now, and I still can't get my programs to run, and just about every time I keep getting told in the logs that no driver was found or loaded. I'm just about ready to give up unless I get some insight on what in the world this driver is.

#22 eradicator006

eradicator006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

View Postchaosunown, on 22 February 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

Alright, I changed one of the game's engine to WS9Wine 1.7.36, it still opened and closed without any reason, and when I did a test run I got this log:

The explorer process failed to start.

Same errors here.  I get these same errors when I create a new wrapper using 1.7.35 or 1.7.36 engine.  I haven't tried any other 1.7 engines so I don't know how far back it goes.  In my case the errors have to do with the mac driver not working.  The X11 driver works fine.

A way to work around it is to create a new wrapper with the 1.6.2 engine (or even the CX engine) then change the engine in the wrapper to use what ever engine you want.  There is something in the creation of a wrapper using a recent engine that is breaking the mac driver

#23 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

View Posteradicator006, on 26 February 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

Same errors here.  I get these same errors when I create a new wrapper using 1.7.35 or 1.7.36 engine.  I haven't tried any other 1.7 engines so I don't know how far back it goes.  In my case the errors have to do with the mac driver not working.  The X11 driver works fine.

A way to work around it is to create a new wrapper with the 1.6.2 engine (or even the CX engine) then change the engine in the wrapper to use what ever engine you want.  There is something in the creation of a wrapper using a recent engine that is breaking the mac driver

Sorry man, I gave this a shot by creating a wrapper with the 1.6.2 engine, but it still didn't do anything, and I got a very similar wine log after doing a test run:

Okay real talk, is there any way to get the driver back? This is becoming a bit of an annoyance.

#24 eradicator006

eradicator006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

View Postchaosunown, on 26 February 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Sorry man, I gave this a shot by creating a wrapper with the 1.6.2 engine, but it still didn't do anything, and I got a very similar wine log after doing a test run:

Okay real talk, is there any way to get the driver back? This is becoming a bit of an annoyance.

AFIK the mac driver is built-in to wine.  It should just work.  I did a quick scroll through this thread and noticed most people with this problem is using an nvidia gpu.  I have nvidia myself.

Try unchecking "Use mac driver...." under screen options for your wrapper.

#25 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

I've actually never had that option checked in the screen options. Whether I told it to use the mac driver or not I still get the same log mentioned above.

If the driver is built into wine then how do I get it back? Would clearing the cache or anything in Application Support so Wineskin is completely reset help at all?

#26 eradicator006

eradicator006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

I think you and I are having different issues then.  If use mac driver is unchecked then that means it's using the X11 bundled with wineskin.  I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting that.

#27 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

Yeah, one thing I have noticed is that if I force the games to run through xQuartz then they run fine, but running it through there is very limited compared to running the games normally (for instance how the heck do you force 16 bit color mode to run through that?), which is why I want to fix this problem in particular so I'm not forced to run things through xQuartz.

#28 chaosunown

chaosunown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Right, I think I'm about done delving into this problem at this point. Admins can close this thread if they want to. I'm just gonna get my old 1998 mac computer from the basement and try to play the outdated mac equivalent of the games I tried to port on there.

I don't know how I got roped into an impossible technical problem with this porting software, but I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users