6 replies to this topic

#1 Josander

Josander

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 7970 3072 MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • I like to play:Bethesda games

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

As the title already says: do i need a new Graphic Card?
Currently i have installed:

AMD Radeon HD 6870 with 1GB vram.

but games like Skyrim with modern texture packs and newer games could benefit from more vram.
the Graphiccard i would like to buy is a :

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 with 3GB vram.

Now, the most important question here is, if wine wrappers are *able* to use 3GB vram or not, else i spend money for nothing.
Usually i buy always windows games, because Mac games become obsolete with new releases of Macs Os, which is an annoying fact. So i depend on Wine Wrappers to play games.
If wine isnt able to use vram efficiently, maybe some 3rd party plugs could help, like ENBoost ? -and im talking about the speedhack plugin, not the graphical injector of ENB.

#2 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1,600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I think it really depends on what kind of games you want to play.

I would ask if you plan on playing any windows games via Bootcamp etc?

VRAM previously was not really working in Wine, but it should be fixed as of 1.6.2? If I recall correctly.

I personally have not tested to see of this is true or not, as my card only has 512 mb.

Increase VRAM a wrapper uses, via wine tricks

winetricks videomemorysize=2048

Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#3 Josander

Josander

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

1) the kind of games i like most are first person shooters. Im no more the super-gamer, i prefer to stick with few but good ones when i have some time.
2) I like Wine wrappers and cant chum to install Bootcamp…maybe a method to take advantage of vRam settings, you say? it thought it always the other way around - that Wine, indipendent it is - could unlock some limits that Win imposes (example: how memory -ram- is managed) so that games could use more resources.

3) For Skyrim, as example, ive installed a bunch of nice texture packs and Vram is used, when i check VRam usage with iStat Menus. (and Skyrim running, obviously) The bar usually isnt full, but when i play it is.
4)I want to buy an used Graphiccard, they are at good prices around…maybe not a bad idea investing 245 dollars
5) Oh thanks, i see theres a limit of 2Gigs, maybe Wine isnt able to use 3Gigs or "Let wine detect amount of video card memory" could be a workaround.

#4 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1,600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

You can always edit the registry to say videomemorysize=3072

I really do not know if WINE works with higher than 2gigs - it should be fine - but I have personally not tested it.

You can edit it by.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3D -> VideoMemorySize

I would say grab a new card if so done else can confirm it would work. It should help.

Maybe one day if buy a new PowerBook so I can play newer games - personally waiting for a new NVIDA card - rather than the dumb Intel cards.
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#5 Josander

Josander

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

Meanwhile i got a: AMD Radeon HD 7970 with 3GB Vram

I followed your suggestion (thanks) and saw that Wine applied the 3072 (GB) automatically
Probably because i used "Let wine detect amount of video card memory" in winetricks.

Now ive to see if my graphiccard suits for games too. I did already some positive tests with Fo3, but its to early to say something definitive.

Whats your opinio about AMD/ATI ? you have no problems with them.

EDIT.
i tested Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Skyrim, Oblivion, Nehrim. The Wine Wrapper uses not more than 1GB in-game. (i checked that with iStat Menus)
To do anoter verification, i tested my Wine Wrapper using a Vram tester. Here a result:

VRamSizeDX9.exe (from ENB forums)

Video memory available (Mb): 1632
reported size is sum of video and some amount of system memory visible for games and works slower than physical vram.
http://enbdev.com

?? why only 1632? i expect at least 2942 MB vRam to be used.

#6 stellajames34

stellajames34

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850
  • Operating System:Linux

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:08 AM

Its totally depend of the game you wanna play.

#7 Josander

Josander

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:18 AM

Hi James, I don't know. You may be right, but I got very different results :

*using and eventually tweaking wrappers from here, portingteam
*building my own wrappers
*using the wrappers of Paul the tall

My own wrappers aren't bad, but still struggle to get wineskin reading my exact video card specs

At this point I need to ask, does it really matter to build a wrapper able to detect my exact video card specs?
Are these details essential for wine, and if yes, is the current wineskin able to take advantage of these features?

(See my profile details on the left for details about my video card)

If i use wrappers from Paul the tall, my video card specs are perfect, but I can't see any performance improvement in game, which puzzles me. These wrappers usually perform poorly on my Macpro.

I really would like to know how he does to get these info, to see if these info are really relevant, if I'm gonna apply these to my own wrappers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users