• Create Account

How to deal with variable offsets in bits?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djbell

djbell

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

Hey all, I've been breaking games since around 1993, and figure it's time to step up my game a little, with the help of BitSlicer.

With flash games, a lot of variables have a 3-bit prefix, and that prefix isn't always the same. Sometimes it's 0, sometimes it's 6, whatever. Whatever it is, modifying it blows up the browser.

With CheatEngine, I can do a "Binary" search which is slow but handy, and then I can define an offset and length in the search results. In BitSlicer, I have two issues.

First, I have I figure out the prefix, often by guessing or just doing it first in CheatEngine. Any way to avoid guessing 1-8 times?

Second, once I nail down my pointer, can I view it with an offset of 3 bits?

It's awesome that BitSlicer is smart enough to deal with a search with *8+X, and that probably gives me something to experiment with in scripting, but I'm curious if I'm doing all of this in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks!

#2 Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 970 OC
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

My approach would be scripting. I would try to find a pointer that hold the prefix that you're looking for. Also, you can use offsets in the address field of a variable.

Example:
[0x11231231 + 0x6]

Where 0x6 is your offset, and 0x11231231 is your base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users