• Create Account

Wineskin not working on Macos Mojave (It Freezes your Mac)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVidia9400M
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

Hi guys! I have decided today to update my SO to MacOS Mojave to find how wineskin works on this new OS and I found that Wineskin is not working propperly. You can create wrappers, use winetricks and install games but when you use it from a period of 15 minutes it blocks your operative system and you can't open any app and also you can't turn off your Mac. You need to use the power button to turn off your PC and restart it. So use Wineskin on Mojave freezes your Mac.

So I report this bug to see if there is a solution for a new wineskin update.
Thanks for your help!
More tutorials in english about Wineskin on soloMacOSX Youtube

#2 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:35 AM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 30 September 2018 - 01:14 AM, said:

Hi guys! I have decided today to update my SO to MacOS Mojave to find how wineskin works on this new OS and I found that Wineskin is not working propperly. You can create wrappers, use winetricks and install games but when you use it from a period of 15 minutes it blocks your operative system and you can't open any app and also you can't turn off your Mac. You need to use the power button to turn off your PC and restart it. So use Wineskin on Mojave freezes your Mac.

So I report this bug to see if there is a solution for a new wineskin update.
Thanks for your help!

Is this using Stock Wineskin from doh123 or my fork?
What Wine version was the wrapper using?

#3 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:13 AM

Both versions are freezing Mojave (Oficial and unoficial). I tested with 2.x and 3.x engines.

#4 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 30 September 2018 - 03:13 AM, said:

Both versions are freezing Mojave (Oficial and unoficial). I tested with 2.x and 3.x engines.

That can't be a Wineskin issue then if both are affected along with all Wine versions, this sounds like a Mojave bug.

I also tested this using a custom compiled Wine version and around the 15min mark wine crashed, My system didn't lockup I tabbed out but wine didn't give me a crash report.
Previously in the Beta builds I tested I never had any issues with Wine before so Apple must have changed something, Mojave even seems unstable.... when I first booted into the upgraded OS Finder kept crashing like crazy.........

EDIT;
Luckily before I upgraded my main install I setup a container and installed High Sierra just incase, seems that was wise.
Even launching official wine 3.16 and using iexplorer for a few minutes it crashes so yeah seems until Apple fixes what ever it is they broken were stuck again.

Edited by Gcenx, 30 September 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#5 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

it seems that the problem is related with the integration of wine with the new Mojave's Finder. When I mininize an app, for example wine Steam, it doesn't miniminize and then any application on my Mac can't be opened. Only they keep jumping when I click them on the Dock and all system gets locked because I can't search on launchpad and also I can't turn off the Mac from the apple menu. Also I hope the problem will be resolved with a new Mojave Update.

#6 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 30 September 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

it seems that the problem is related with the integration of wine with the new Mojave's Finder. When I mininize an app, for example wine Steam, it doesn't miniminize and then any application on my Mac can't be opened. Only they keep jumping when I click them on the Dock and all system gets locked because I can't search on launchpad and also I can't turn off the Mac from the apple menu. Also I hope the problem will be resolved with a new Mojave Update.

That might not be the issue,
Wineskin-2.8.6Beta5
Test that master wrapper out, it solved the crashing issue on my end so it should also work for you and anyone else who is having issues on Mojave.

#7 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:39 PM

View PostGcenx, on 30 September 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

That might not be the issue,
Wineskin-2.8.6Beta5
Test that master wrapper out, it solved the crashing issue on my end so it should also work for you and anyone else who is having issues on Mojave.

Nope, this new update is so laggy on building new engines, also locks my internet connection. And when I create a new wrapper and want to open it with double click, it keeps in verifying and locks all my apps. When I close the verifying message, I can run other apps on my Mac again but my Mac becomes laggy so I need to restart it to quit lag.

With this I can't run wrappers, but doesn't freeze my Mac but makes laggy.

#8 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:27 PM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 30 September 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Nope, this new update is so laggy on building new engines, also locks my internet connection. And when I create a new wrapper and want to open it with double click, it keeps in verifying and locks all my apps. When I close the verifying message, I can run other apps on my Mac again but my Mac becomes laggy so I need to restart it to quit lag.

With this I can't run wrappers, but doesn't freeze my Mac but makes laggy.

Not verifying the app can cause issues.... laggy building engines? should only be slow when repacking a 64Bit engine if your CPU is on the slow end. As for locking up all your apps and locking your internet connection your the only one with that issue you might wanna check over your system.

I pushed the update for both Wineskin & Winery.app;
I cleared out my Wineskin folder and used the current uploaded Winery.app, unzipped it and allowed it to self update.
Then downloaded the Master Wrapper and then downloaded an engine, built an engine and worked just fine on my end.

You might want to check over your system as something seems strange or you have a bugged Mojave install, I have read that's common.

#9 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:01 AM

Confirmed. Wine on MacOS Mojave is unstable and makes my Mac so laggy. I decided to make a clean install of Mojave but still same issue, so work with wine on Mojave is not a good idea. So much lag!

#10 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 02 October 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

Confirmed. Wine on MacOS Mojave is unstable and makes my Mac so laggy. I decided to make a clean install of Mojave but still same issue, so work with wine on Mojave is not a good idea. So much lag!

What are your system specs? If Mojave it laggy to you then your graphics card is not Metal friendly from the sounds of it.
Or are you referring to lag when using "Wine" and no I don't mean Wineskin I really mean "Wine" from winehq does that also give you the same issues?

As I'm running Mojave and Wineskin & Wine are working fine with the included dylibs, I currently don't have macports installed (its 64Bit only for Mojave anyway) or Homebrew. I don't even have XQuartz installed on my system.

Or it could just be Apple goofed and need to release updated drivers for some systems :blink:

Only difference I have is setting up a container via “Disk Utility” before upgrading and installing “High Sierra” into that so I can have access to macports so I can keep build wine the easy way. But I ejected that and I can still run Wine just fine....
so yes this is very annoying as some people it works and others it does not and I have nothing to really go on to figure out what different between working/not working setups.

#11 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

I have posted updates for all parts of Wineskin now;
WineskinLauncher & Wineskin.app
Wineskin Winery.app

Those have taken care of the initial CPU load from tccd on Mojave.

#12 soloMacOSX

soloMacOSX

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

View PostGcenx, on 06 October 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Wineskin Winery.app

Man Thanks for this fix!!! Now wineskin is running smoothly as Macos Mojave. The lag dissapeared. Also I'm surprised for the great performance of Mojave, my Mac works like a feather. Sorry for the delay of my answer, I have had a lot of work this last 2 weeks. I will now test more games on my free time and share my results.

Thanks for your big support!!!!!

#13 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostsoloMacOSX, on 06 October 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

Man Thanks for this fix!!! Now wineskin is running smoothly as Macos Mojave. The lag dissapeared. Also I'm surprised for the great performance of Mojave, my Mac works like a feather. Sorry for the delay of my answer, I have had a lot of work this last 2 weeks. I will now test more games on my free time and share my results.

Thanks for your big support!!!!!

No problem I'm just glad that's all fixed now, I don't know what exactly Xcode10 did before but I rebuilt Unofficial from the newer branch from GitHub then added in my changes and the features I'm working on and now it's working like it was on High Sierra for me.

#14 hanna.f.0702

hanna.f.0702

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostGcenx, on 06 October 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Wineskin Winery.app

Where can I find your uploads? I really need this program and unfortunately it's not runnin' on my Mac OS X Mojave...
Would be great if you let me know :)

#15 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

View Posthanna.f.0702, on 13 September 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Where can I find your uploads? I really need this program and unfortunately it's not runnin' on my Mac OS X Mojave...
Would be great if you let me know :)

Unofficial Wineskin Project the thread on this site provides information on changes and fixes from the official Wineskin release.

When downloading an Engine it will be slower then the official Wineskin release, Unofficial Wineskin downloads Winehq releases and repackages they into Engines on your own system.
The official release downloaded pre-packaged Engines so it was faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users