#1 emendelson

emendelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel graphics
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:29 AM

With older versions of Wineskin, I've been able to assign the Windows Alt key to the Mac Option key (instead of to the Mac Cmd key) by building wine using the modifications to the keyboard.c file that I've spelled out here:

http://www.columbia....winekeymap.html

Briefly, the method is this: modify keyboard.c to use the correct key-mappings, build, and replace winemac.drv.so in the Wineskin engine with the custom copy of winemac.drv.so that I built.

But this didn't work when I tried it Wine 3.0.

Are there current instructions for building an engine that I can use with High Sierra or Mojave? When I try building an engine with Wineskin Winery, I get an error when it tries to install gcc.

Thanks for any help...

#2 NRG

NRG

Champion Member

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia 9800m GTS
  • Operating System:OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

maybe it can depend by the same situation describted for another issue here:

http://portingteam.c...150#entry107989

#3 emendelson

emendelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

It's very possibly the same. There's a description of the built-in Wine assignments here:

https://palant.de/20...ngs-on-mac-os-x

But the fix that he describes doesn't make option=Alt etc. This mods in this keyboard.c file (look for lines with "//was") certainly did work in the past:

http://www.columbia..../keyboard.c.zip

And again - are there any current instructions out there for building an engine? Probably the instructions are right in front of me, but I can't see them...

#4 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:37 AM

View Postemendelson, on 15 January 2019 - 03:29 AM, said:

With older versions of Wineskin, I've been able to assign the Windows Alt key to the Mac Option key (instead of to the Mac Cmd key) by building wine using the modifications to the keyboard.c file that I've spelled out here:

http://www.columbia....winekeymap.html

Briefly, the method is this: modify keyboard.c to use the correct key-mappings, build, and replace winemac.drv.so in the Wineskin engine with the custom copy of winemac.drv.so that I built.

But this didn't work when I tried it Wine 3.0.

Are there current instructions for building an engine that I can use with High Sierra or Mojave? When I try building an engine with Wineskin Winery, I get an error when it tries to install gcc.

Thanks for any help...

You really don't need to go through all that trouble as the macDriver already has that feature since Wine 1.7.4, I verified that tonight and added it as a feature to Wineskin-2.8.9Beta2

As for compiling Engines with Winery..... yeah Gatekeeper broke that.

View PostNRG, on 15 January 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

maybe it can depend by the same situation describted for another issue here:

http://portingteam.c...150#entry107989

Partly true, the key maps before were handled by WineskinX11 but after adding the Command/Ctrl mapping I noticed macDriver also mentioned mapping Option/Alt, I dig through git and found it was a feature added since Wine 1.7.4 so now its a toggle option and enabled by default.

View Postemendelson, on 15 January 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

It's very possibly the same. There's a description of the built-in Wine assignments here:

https://palant.de/20...ngs-on-mac-os-x

But the fix that he describes doesn't make option=Alt etc. This mods in this keyboard.c file (look for lines with "//was") certainly did work in the past:

http://www.columbia..../keyboard.c.zip

And again - are there any current instructions out there for building an engine? Probably the instructions are right in front of me, but I can't see them...

I have already built a working replacement for Unofficial using XCode instead of gcc but that only covers 32bit compiles as 64bit compiles have issues with regedit. And on High Sierra and Mojave you would require the 10.13SDK and force to build for OSX10.7 (due to some change with XCode10)
I'm sure it could be solved but I don't want to spend the time on that when I could just use docker to cross-compile and have a functioning compile.

#5 emendelson

emendelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

View PostGcenx, on 16 January 2019 - 02:37 AM, said:

You really don't need to go through all that trouble as the macDriver already has that feature since Wine 1.7.4, I verified that tonight and added it as a feature to Wineskin-2.8.9Beta2

Thank you! I just downloaded this from GitHub and the "Map Option as Alt" option finally works (I think for the first time). This will save an enormous amount of trouble. Thank you again!

#6 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:15 AM

View Postemendelson, on 16 January 2019 - 03:32 AM, said:

Thank you! I just downloaded this from GitHub and the "Map Option as Alt" option finally works (I think for the first time). This will save an enormous amount of trouble. Thank you again!

If you think that’s handy use wine 3.17 or higher, Command key functions like it does on macOS.
Both options are enabled by default on wrapper creation.

#7 emendelson

emendelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

View PostGcenx, on 16 January 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

If you think that’s handy use wine 3.17 or higher, Command key functions like it does on macOS.
Both options are enabled by default on wrapper creation.

Thank you for letting me know about that! I gave up hoping they would ever make this default. This saves an enormous amount of trouble.

Thank you again!

#8 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:46 AM

View Postemendelson, on 16 January 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

Thank you for letting me know about that! I gave up hoping they would ever make this default. This saves an enormous amount of trouble.

Thank you again!

I think you misunderstood what I meant let me clarify, the mapping for Command and also Option keys are not enabled within wine by default but I make sure those options are enabled for all Wineskin Wrappers using my current master wrapper.

Default setting for wine is having the weird key mapping that everyone hates, but Unofficial Wineskin adds the needed Reg entries after wineboot (when wine asks if you want to install mono & gecko prompts) for the options to be enabled.

If you build yourself a clean wrapper and check winecfg you will notice the following overrides;
d3d10 (disabled)
d3d10_1 (disabled)
d3d10core (disabled)
d3d11 (disabled)
dxgi (disabled)
gameoverlayrenderer (disabled)

Those are not configured that way by wine but by the settings I set via Wineskin so a new wrapper will have some setting imported by default, say we didn't disabled gameoverlayrenderer Steam would crash on some games if using a custom compile of wine but having it disabled means custom compiles will still function that's one of the workarounds used by winetricks I just integrated it directly.

#9 emendelson

emendelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:38 AM

You're right! I misunderstood. But your new options are EXACTLY what I was looking for, so I'm very happy to have this. Thank you again for this major improvement to Wineskin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users