3 replies to this topic

#1 DrStrang3love

DrStrang3love

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

I'm trying to get my old WineSkin wrappers (created with the old, "official" WineSkin Winery) up to date to be able to use the newer 64 bit Wine versions, but that does not seem to be very straightforward.

Anyone tried that already? Are there some best practices to do this?

#2 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Converting a premade wrapper over to using Unofficial Wineskins master wrapper requires you to do “update wrapper” twice and also change the Engine being used even to the same version will be enough.

However your unable to change from a 32Bit Engine to a 64Bit Engine since a 32Bit Wine Prefix can’t become a 64Bit wine prefix.
This works like windows, you can’t upgrade from a 32Bit version to a 64Bit version it requires a clean install.

#3 DrStrang3love

DrStrang3love

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

View PostGcenx, on 11 January 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

Converting a premade wrapper over to using Unofficial Wineskins master wrapper requires you to do “update wrapper” twice and also change the Engine being used even to the same version will be enough.
That should help somewhat. I didn't expect to have to update the wrapper twice.

However your unable to change from a 32Bit Engine to a 64Bit Engine since a 32Bit Wine Prefix can’t become a 64Bit wine prefix.
This works like windows, you can’t upgrade from a 32Bit version to a 64Bit version it requires a clean install.
Hmm... that'll make a few things more complicated.

#4 Gcenx

Gcenx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

View PostDrStrang3love, on 12 January 2020 - 08:46 PM, said:

That should help somewhat. I didn't expect to have to update the wrapper twice.
The reason for this is I’ve made internal changes the first update would be using doh123’s update routine the second will be running mine. It’s that or you manually replace Wineskin.app then run the update.

View PostDrStrang3love, on 12 January 2020 - 08:46 PM, said:

Hmm... that'll make a few things more complicated.
Nothing I can do about that as that’s how windows functions so that’s how wine functions.

There is no point in trying to move from say WS9Wine2.22 > WS9Wine64Bit4.20.
A correct Engine change would be WS9Wine2.22 > WS9Wine4.20.
Also once available WS9Wine2.22 > WS11WineCX19.0.0 or other WS11 Engines once available will allow a wrapper to function on macOS 10.8 > 10.15

There is little reason to be running 32Bit software within a 64Bit prefix, it increases the wrapper size a lot and give more issues then it resolves as most 32Bit applications are unable to allocate more then 2GB of ram even when running on a wow64 version of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users