4 replies to this topic

#1 krimb1

krimb1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hello again!

Great news -- I've think I've successfully ported one of the Bone Telltale games!

I can't wait to share it, but I was thinking it might be nice to first disable internet access to Telltale now that the game is activated. Is there a library in CXWinetricks that I can remove/disable that would accomplish this?

Yay!  :Yahoo!:
--krimb1

#2 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

Disabling internet access on a wrapper would be tricky, removing or disabling networking access might make it very unstable. (meaning it would crash at the first network access)

I recommend Little Snitch for blocking Internet access for single apps, although this solution might not be possible for everyone.
Alternatively, you could make a script that edits the firewall and adds a entry for blocking access to one of Telltale's games; but don't ask me on this, a linux user would  know more of this :D
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#3 krimb1

krimb1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

Blocking via /etc/hosts is a brilliant idea, demonhunter!

I guess I will have to use Little Snitch first to figure out the exact IP each game is using to contact Telltale. I like bash scripting and AppleScript so I think I'll be able to work something out! I'll post back with my findings.

Thanks again!

#4 krimb1

krimb1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:43 AM

Great news: I successfully wrote an Applescript to check if the /etc/hosts file blocks Telltale's activation server, and if not, adds it to the end.

I'm thinking of incorporating this AppleScript to run on each launch of the program, so that the internet access is blocked automatically. The question is: would this be against some sort of suggested guidelines for making ports -- to have a script like that run in the background -- or would it be okay? I would think as long and I mentioned it in the readme it would be okay; Telltale doesn't make games for Mac anyway so legit users would have to port anyway...

It would be my first game port and I want to make sure I follow all the rules. :)

Thanks again!

#5 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Does it remove the blockade from hosts again if you quit the script?
And messing with the guts of the OS (/etc/hosts) is not something you can take lightly.
If something goes wrong it can permanently cripple Internet access on the machine.

I would do this:
Make a applescript that makes a backup hosts file somewhere and edits the /etc/hosts file.
If something goes wrong, you can still recover from the backup hosts file.

Or if it kills the connection to Telltale and restores it again after the Game is shut down, while making a backup from etc/hosts, would be even better.

Either way, note the process down somewhere for others to read and make a backup of the hosts file somewhere, because it would be bad if it killed the internet connection for somebody out there who doesn't know what's going on.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users