104 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

Another Emulator by me. I thought this would be the only Nintendo DS Emulator on the mac then, but boy, was i wrong.
DeSmuME, a great DS Emulator was alive and kicking for the mac for some time now, and its beautifully coded.
Though DeSmuME is native; its compatibility is not so good as NO$GBA, and adding another Emulator to the mac side shouldn't hurt.

zeroDS, a Custom Wrapper for NO$GBA is alive and kicking as of now.
NO$GBA would not run by itself so i used a custom launcher created by Mysoft. I tried other Launchers as well, but CrossOver doesn't like them.  

Please note that NO$GBA can't run every Game out there perfectly, it's a work in progress by it's developer, just like DeSmuME.

Same procedure as last time:
If you have any problems with zeroDS in itself, like the App not launching or if you find bugs or spelling errors, post here and i'll help out. And do not ask for ROMs, you know the drill.
Please keep the "how can i configure zeroDS/NO$GBA for Game XXX?" questions minimal, or as reasonable as possible.

NO$GBA doesn't seem to like the CrossOver environment very much at this moment, (mainly if you change the settings), i'll see if i can convince them to be friends in the near future. (that means fixing bugs)
And another thing: You'll get a Picture of a Guy and A Girl when you start zeroDS, this is not me, but the Programmer from Mysoft who created the Custom Launcher.

And here it is:
zeroDS - Current Version 0.2.0 [hide]http://www.mediafire.com/?2gnvoq4yzzt[/hide]

Note: if you have a GMA graphics chip, it crashes the second time you launch the app. I'll try to get it working for GMA users. (disabling shaders did not help)
The following ATI Cards are also not compatible due to some faults within CrossOver: ATI X1600, ATI HD2600

Below is a a FAQ to answer some things.

stay sharp
zero

the FAQ:

Q: why did you use the Launcher from Mysoft? other Launchers have waaay more features.
A: other Launchers don't work. they crash the CrossOver Wrapper instantly; the Mysoft Launcher is the only one that didn't.

Q: can you port XXX to the mac?
A: i'm not doing requests, but you can find it out for yourself:
If an Application/Emulator runs in CrossOver (not the CrossOver Games Version) it most likely runs in this modified CrossOver environment. If you'll find an Emulator that runs great under CrossOver, give me a call, and i'll let my magic work.

Q: is zeroDS configured out of the box for games so that i don't have to spend time configuring it for my Game?
A: YES and NO. i have configured zeroDS with compatible standard options and Video enhancements, so that most games run with it without reconfiguring too much.
Each Game runs with this, but not perfectly, because each game requires tweaking of the Plugins to see if the annoying sound/graphics bug you have has disappeared. Some of the Options do not work, please be careful when you mess around with the Video options.

Q: what happens if i mess up the Video/Sound options and nothing works anymore?
A: delete the "zeroDS" Folder in your username/Application Support Folder.
zeroDS resets itself after that.

Q: i have some Problems with the Emulator; my Game does not Sound right/has some Video Problems. can you help me?
A: NO. google around for some help on your Problem

Q: what system can run zeroDS? can my poor old mac & me have some fun with this?
A: zeroDS needs and Intel Chip. Core2Duo Recommended.  Running zeroDS on a MacBook or a mac mini with a GMA Graphics Chip results in a crash. I'm currently looking into it.

Q: got any tips for enjoying your great Emulator better ^_^ ?
A: a few recommendations from me:
- get a USB Game Controller and map the default buttons to it. (I recommend USB Overdrive for this*) Playing zeroDS with a keyboard sucks. hard.
- if you don't like the build-in controls for the keyboard, you can change them in Options->Controls Setup-> then Save Options
*note: USB Overdrive and Emulator Enhancer should not be installed on the same System. Use another Keyboard remapper if you have Emulator Enhancer installed)

Q: zeroDS refuses to launch all of a sudden, it worked before...
A: This happens when you launch zeroDS for the first time; on lets say your Desktop, and then move it after quitting to a Folder of your choice. It should bounce once in the Dock, then close. Thats because this is the way the CrossOver Wrapper was programmed. CrossOver creates static links in the Application Support Folder from the place the app was launched and when you move the apps, the static links are still there, and point to the wrong place. To make the app launch from another Folder again, simply delete the "zeroDS" Folder insider your username/Application Support Folder.

Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 montag

montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Every time I try and use this it Starts and says "Colletting Data..." in the top of the apps window, then an error window pops up saying "The emulator detected problems... please contact the author." How can I get this to stop. I love NO$GBA. its great and i would love to see it really up and running like the ePSXe you made. Wow! that one is amazing, made my dreams of Mac emulation come true... anyway is there anyway to fix ZeroDS?

-Montag
Hello

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:44 AM

The zeroDS Wrapper is still at it's early stages (v0.2.0 for now), and has some problems. This Emulator is heavily dependent on OpenGL and DirectX, something CrossOver is still not very good at. NO$GBA doesn't even launch in CrossOver without the special Launcher; and i'll try to make it spawn less errors, but this could take until the next CrossOver arrives, which hopefully fixes some annoying bugs i'm still having with CrossOver.

But the following could help you: delete the zeroDS folder in your username/Application Support Folder and zeroDS resets itself after that.
But from what i found out recently, is that the Wrapper doesn't perform correctly on macs with smaller Graphics Cards. (example: it runs fine on my hackmac and iMac, but it gives me the same error message that you get on my mac mini (GMA950) This could be shader relevant.
What mac model with what Graphics Card are you using?

And how's zeroPSX? Does it run fast/slow stable/unstable (and so on)? People here never really give me feedback for it...  :?
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#4 loco

loco

PortingTeam Founder

• Administrators
  • 1186 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:11 AM

I made a little edit, to see the download link you must now reply to the topic. Please leave feedback for the author on how well it works and any problems you notice! Thanks!

Follow us on facebook:

#5 Guest_HoboDude_*

Guest_HoboDude_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Yeah I'm having the same problem as Montag.  It's annoying but your emulator seems pretty decent overall.  I have an NVIDIA 9400M graphics chip, could be a problem with integrated graphics in general.

#6 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

Lets hope this isn't the case. I'll make another build this week and try to disable the shaders, so that it hopefully can be played with integrated graphics.

- zero

#7 montag

montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

Yeah I am running ZeroDS on my Mac Mini- 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4 GB of DDR3. That could be the problem.

however  have ZeroPSX Running all the way up, and its giving me flawless game play. I had to mess with the setting alot, but around 3 last night I had all my games and FF7 running with out a hitch. So ZeroPSX is great not a flaw to it. I did have some slow down but its was the same slow down I have in ePSXe on Windows. Thanks alot for such a great port.

Have you thought of bringing over Project 64 1.7. Its another great emu. Sixtyforce for mac is what i am using right now and I have donated to its Dev but I loved Project 64 1.7.

I cant wait to see what you do with No$GBA.
Hello

#8 montag

montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

and its the integrated 9400M card that I am using also.
Hello

#9 montag

montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

P.S - There is one thing that is driving me crazy about ZeroPSX "if I had to get picky." The need to use a key mapper for game pads is killing me. if there was some way to configure in ZeroPSX it would make it alot easier to have fun with.
If not that, at lest give the option for analog control. all the Defaults in 0PSX have the analog sticks disabled.
I am using Game pad Companion.. when I hold a button down the game glitches up. I turned off key repeater. But that didn't work either. I tried USB over drive and I could not get it to recognize my game pad. that could be my own fault. I am using TattieBogle's PS3 controller  driver. Its still in dev. lol other than that like I said games run great.
Hello

#10 montag

montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hey, one more thing. As I was writing that last post I realized what was causing Glitching when playing games using Game pad Companion. I forgot to set the analog sticks for no input. they were sending a signal and freaking ZeroPSX out. Now everything runs fine.

#11 Guest_bobtentpeg_*

Guest_bobtentpeg_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

how I love emulators

#12 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:59 AM

montag said:

Hey, one more thing. As I was writing that last post I realized what was causing Glitching when playing games using Game pad Companion. I forgot to set the analog sticks for no input. they were sending a signal and freaking ZeroPSX out. Now everything runs fine.

I'm glad that it runs fine  :P

I'll look into Project 64...

- zero

#13 Guest_hisashi_*

Guest_hisashi_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Great job! Go on!

#14 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Looking forward to testing this.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#15 Guest_nwassault_*

Guest_nwassault_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

Really looking forward to trying this out.  NO$GBA is supposed to be one of the best DS emulators around.

#16 HcNguyen111

HcNguyen111

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Project 64 would probably work using the Chromium Wrapper, I'll try porting it after I download this.

#17 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

already done that:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=343

- zero

#18 Guest_prey2003_*

Guest_prey2003_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

Well...lets try.

#19 Guest_Houli_*

Guest_Houli_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hopefully this works better than Desmume. Have had tons of problems with it.

#20 Guest_PizzaPooch_*

Guest_PizzaPooch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thank you for the port

#21 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

hmmm, it seems i can't get the Emu to run in the Wrapper correctly with integrated Graphics (GMAs).
It works the first time you launch the app (you can play a rom successfully), and if you close it and launch it again, it gives you the 'please contact the author' error. If you delete the zeroDS Folder in username/Application Support it works again for the first start, then repeat.
I'll see if i can try something different (other launcher, or some other method) so starts without crashing a second time for GMA users.

- zero

#22 Guest_ulfulf_*

Guest_ulfulf_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

thanks a lot for this port. I'll check it out!

#23 Guest_WhiteWindX_*

Guest_WhiteWindX_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hmm~ Worth a try!

#24 Guest_Huma_*

Guest_Huma_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

thx

#25 Guest_caseeaero_*

Guest_caseeaero_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:04 AM

awesome

#26 Guest_greg92_*

Guest_greg92_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for the hard work, I would love to try this.

#27 Guest_moglenstar_*

Guest_moglenstar_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

thanks so much for this :)

#28 Aku

Aku

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

First time i ran it, splash screen showed, started configuring it, and closed itself..., since then, i've never been able to open it again...

Deleted /User/Username/Library/Application Support/zeroDS folder, but still nothing =/...

#29 Guest_Magnum_*

Guest_Magnum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

thanks a lot for this port !

#30 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Aku said:

First time i ran it, splash screen showed, started configuring it, and closed itself..., since then, i've never been able to open it again...

Deleted /User/Username/Library/Application Support/zeroDS folder, but still nothing =/...

Could be X11 related. Did you update XQuartz to 2.3.3.2? If so than this could happen. The CrossOver Wrapper is not compatible yet with XQuartz 2.3.3.2. There shouldn't be any other reasons why this could happen...

- zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users