22 replies to this topic

#1 Vishy

Vishy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4670
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi to all good to be here.

One question about Mac games. Is there anyway of playing older PPC Mac games such as Age of Empires I now that Snow Leopard and the Intels don't support any form of classic environment? And of course is that a relevant question on this forum?

V[*]
iMac 27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 12 Gb of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670, OS X 10.6.8

#2 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
Author

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

Rosetta (the PPC translation code) is now an optional install in Snow Leopard.
Classic Games  still work with Snow, and i think Snow will be the last cat to officially do so.

Install Rosetta from the Snow Leopard Installation Disk.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#3 Vishy

Vishy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Thanks devilhunter and hi back ElderBrE.

Of course, I have installed Rosetta already, but it didn't even occur to me that the games might run with it! DAH!!!

Thanks again.

V
iMac 27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 12 Gb of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670, OS X 10.6.8

#4 Vishy

Vishy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Well I have to take the last one back. In fact neither Age of Empires I nor Caesar III run under Rosetta. So I imagine that is the end of them. I suppose I have to exhume my G4 Quicksilver, only recently retired to play those and so many others, such as Deus Ex and so on. Shame really. They are all such classic games.

V

#5 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
Author

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

We have a Port of Deus Ex here :D
This would be the other side of the Porting Team, bringing back old Games that mac publishers seem to have forgotten about; in contrast to making entirely new Games available to the mac platform.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#6 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

In fact many of the old OS9 only games have already been ported with CX/Cider and are therefore fully 10.6 compatible.

They are scattered all over the web unfortunately

there should be OSX ports of

Deus Ex
Descent 3
Deep Space 9 The Fallen
Total Annihilation Gold
Diablo (WIP atm)
Shogo MAD
4x4 Evolution
Baldur's Gate + ToSC
Bugdom
Nanosaur
Caesar 3
Carmageddon
Carmageddon 2
Civilization 2
Sim City 3000
Driver
Escape from Monkey Island
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Klingon Honor Guard
MDK
Riven
Rune
Stronghold
Summoner
Undying
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Vampire Redemption
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office

#7 Vishy

Vishy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

devilhunter said:

We have a Port of Deus Ex here :D
This would be the other side of the Porting Team, bringing back old Games that mac publishers seem to have forgotten about; in contrast to making entirely new Games available to the mac platform.

:Yahoo!: Indeed... I was thinking of setting up my old G4 Quicksilver again (with the kick-ass ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and the Fastmac 1.5 GHz CPU upgrade) for Mac OS 9.2.2 and loading that with all the games that don't run in Rosetta, but my desk is already too crowded with the 27" iMac, a Dell 20" monitor, a pair of Behringer studio monitor speakers, a couple of external 1 TB back-up disks and the 12" Batman figurine, to fit that lot on as well.

So if anyone of you lovely folks can come up with a way of playing all those fabulous old OS 9 games on the latest Macs I'm pretty sure everyone would be well pleased.

One game that I really miss these days is Caesar III. Now I looked for ages to find the Mac version years back and, I believe I bought the very last new copy of it on the market, and it cost me an arm and a leg to get it. Then Sierra abandoned it and never made even a bug free version, they just issued a bug fixed file that was corrupted in the original issue. Now I've found a Cider (wine actually) port of it but I no longer have the PC version of it I used to have, so now I'm gonna need to find a PC friend who may still have an installed version of it to move the files in!!!!

Fortunately some games, even really old ones like Red Faction and Tropico have made UB versions of their games. Oh well!!! Hope burns eternal.

V

#8 Guest_VPrime_*

Guest_VPrime_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

For older games like AOE I just ran them in a virtual machine. They were not that resource heavy so they ran fine.. Though I would prefer a port as well ;)

#9 Guest_exu_*

Guest_exu_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:23 AM

i have been thinking of busting out my old fallout  1 and 2 PPC games.

#10 Guest_MatthewJanik_*

Guest_MatthewJanik_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

I've seen a pack of two ports  (Fallout 1 and 2) that work with leopard somewhere on demonoid before

#11 drthmik

drthmik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

there is a port for Vampire tM: Redemption

#12 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

For some of the OS9 games (up to 9.0.2) Sheepshaver works great for me. i know its hit and miss for some, but it plays most of my OS9 games fine.

#13 ScipioAemilius

ScipioAemilius

Centurion du forum francophone

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 512 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:Strategy (Europa Universalis III, EU:Rome, Rome Total War) and some RPG (NWN, TES)

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

There is a port of Caesar III in the Full game -> Strategy section.
I made a Wineskin wrapper of Age of Empires I (with RoR expansion), the game runs perfectly, but there is a problem with the menu / scenario briefing : the font is black instead of yellow or white, making it very difficult to read. You could try to create a Wineskin wrapper to see if it works for you...
Posted Image

If there is a problem with one of my wrappers, please let me know by posting on the game thread AND by sending me a pm.
If there are no problems, then a little "Thank you!" is always heart-warming! ;)

#14 sqelch

sqelch

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

don't forget scummvm for old click 'n scrolls - my most missed OS9 game would have been Full Throttle, but works beautifully on Scummvm. there's plenty more os9 games i thought i'd never see again but am thrilled to find people are porting them! looks like there's hope for star wars episode 1 racer on snow leopard yet!

#15 Psonio4

Psonio4

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD6770M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

What about Lion? Rosetta won't be available on it...

#16 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:13 AM

I always say for most of those old games it's a lot better to run them via a wrapper than to run them through rosetta. If you haven't migrated your old games to a wrapper you should start doing that now especially for Lion.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#17 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:34 AM

PPC apps are dead in Lion.

I have some I still need to port...

I will say, that 2 I currently have... Neverwinter Night and Master of Orion 3.... both run ported with Wineskin BETTER than the native PPC Mac version using Rosetta.

Now I just gotta dig out what other PPC games I have I might wanna play now and then and get the Windows version and Wineskin them.

#18 dakara

dakara

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

Glad someone else mentioned this, but Lion doesn't give you any option for PPC. Imagine my disappointment when I tried to boot up Diablo 2 on my fresh Lion upgrade... sigh

#19 csaunders4z

csaunders4z

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

dakara said:

Glad someone else mentioned this, but Lion doesn't give you any option for PPC. Imagine my disappointment when I tried to boot up Diablo 2 on my fresh Lion upgrade... sigh

Is there a way to run the Snow Leopard version of Rosetta under Lion?  Or is this crazy talk?  :)

#20 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

csaunders4z said:

Is there a way to run the Snow Leopard version of Rosetta under Lion?  Or is this crazy talk?  :)
someone get the straight jacket!!!

#21 Roquen

Roquen

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

I hate how Rosetta was taken out of OS X Lion. I went to play the original Starcraft the other day, but couldn't :(

#22 Franklint

Franklint

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Adventure, platform, and racing games.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

Any word on the Snow Leopard version of Bugdom thedoctor45 mentioned? I've wanted to play it for years.

Cheers,
Franklint

#23 johnnylongcat

johnnylongcat

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

dakara said:

Same thing happened to me when I tried to boot up Fallout 2 the other day.  Weakness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users