• Create Account

Apple iPad - buy or no buy?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Apple iPad - Yay or no Nay? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Apple iPad - Yay or no Nay?

1. YAY! - I'm ordering it now. (9 votes [11.69%])

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

2. Yay - I'll wait until i had it in my Hands to play with (9 votes [11.69%])

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

3. Nay - I have no use for it/no money for it (22 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. Nay - I'll wait for Version 2 (more features) (30 votes [38.96%])

Percentage of vote: 38.96%

5. Don't know yet... (7 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Guest_demu_*

Guest_demu_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

Doubt I would ever buy it, I would rather use my MBP.

#32 PriestessPaula

PriestessPaula

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

I might my self buy one.

Once a Jailbreak comes out for it.

#33 Guest_styxie_*

Guest_styxie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Yeah dudes I'm gonna get me an iPad ASAP

#34 Guest_Haraburda_*

Guest_Haraburda_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Here in Europe it is pretty useless. For US it can be new "cool" thingy and a lot of stupid people will buy it.

#35 CobraKill

CobraKill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS and A

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

To a certain extent, I agree what people are saying about the iPad and how they are "disappointed". But, what do you expect? Besides the "usual suspects" over no Flash, no camera in the front, etc. I feel that sometimes we hold the bar too high for Apple. Although it is disappointing that they did not put a camera on the iPad despite the fact that they intentionally left room in the hardware to put a camera in the future, I think it's a great product. As a golden rule, I never buy the first device that comes out and wait for a second version with better features. I have a iMac at home and a netbook. I would love to replace my netbook with an iPad. It's more thin, stable, elegant, and has all the practical applications I need.

Besides, people will come up with different ways to improvise the missing features that iPad does not offer. If you "jailbreak" your phone, you have a wide range of features to implement such as multitasking, message reply on locked screen, etc.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 Guest_bobbob_*

Guest_bobbob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

I think the big reason the ipad will be a hit is the software. A lot of developers will come out with a lot of software, and people will pay for it because it will be cheap.

#37 Guest_bobbob_*

Guest_bobbob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Oh, and as far as the lack of a camera, you know they are just holding back features so that they can add them later on in version two!

They probably heard that their supplier wouldn't quite be able to have enough of them ready in time so they thought leaving them out of the first batch would be best.

#38 Guest_WaGCBJr_*

Guest_WaGCBJr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:45 AM

I'll buy.
;D

#39 EarthBraker

EarthBraker

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

I would buy it!
Its totally unnessesary!

#40 EarthBraker

EarthBraker

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

And IF I would buy it I would wait for the second version

#41 Guest_ish_*

Guest_ish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I will definitly buy one.

Why ?
Because its the perfect mobile device. What do i need to carry around ? i need to read pdf write stuff email and sruf the web. I dont need multitasking ? Multitasking is just to confusing all the time you are distracted by this email that facebook post and hu i also could check google news and ars technica etc etc etc.  i hope the ipad will help me to work more concentracted and to focus on the stuff i am doing.

#42 Darkuser

Darkuser

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

The idea of being able to use it as an ebook reader but with more functions and apps and 3D hardware support is attracting, however... it simply has too little features to be attractive enough for me to buy it, I'll probably wait for V.2 for now my Macbook Pro and iPhone 3GS will do.

#43 Guest_Hildoceras_*

Guest_Hildoceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'll buy and use as a replacement for my old windows net book, looks like it will be better at video and will also act as a remote for the mac mini htc

#44 Guest_johns111_*

Guest_johns111_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

I'm gonna hold off for a while. I really want one with USB port and SD card slot. We'll also see what OS 4 has to offer.

#45 Guest_semipro_*

Guest_semipro_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

turn offs:

no pen to draw stuff.
symbols look too small, just sized up from the iphone.
no flash - if i surf the web i do not want to see install flash buttons everywhere i go.

this is a device for noob users since there is no pro software available for it.

i would get this for my mom to write and receive mails and occasionaly surf the web.

in my opinion they should have put a modified osx on it and add pen support, that would have made it much more interesting for graphic designers.

#46 Guest_Bryce_*

Guest_Bryce_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

differently a no from me.. I have an ipod touch and a perfectly fine with that than wasting more money on something with just a bigger screen

#47 Guest_theLimit_*

Guest_theLimit_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

I'll be waiting at least a revision or two.

#48 Guest_frin_*

Guest_frin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

No thanks, it sounds like a toy for kids. Why would anyone want to use it as an ebook reader? It is clear they added that feature as a last resort as they ran out of ideas for anything better. It is hard to read on illuminated screen, and Kindle et al have perfected it already (and reading on e-ink paper screen is eye-friendly).

I was really hoping for it to be like touch screen macbook pro with a 9 or 10" screen. When they release something like that, I might consider buying it.

#49 excedrin70

excedrin70

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

I already have mine reserved.  I think I will use it for the month and turn around and sell it for the WiFi + 3G version.  Granted I will probably lose a little money, but I look at it as paying for the "rental" opportunity!

#50 Guest_jvcp_*

Guest_jvcp_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

I'm sure the iPad as it is today will evolve through software updates and introduce many features that will make it more valuable.

I'm still running my first gen iPhone and i've gain apps, push, vpn, etc.

#51 Guest_LoTek_*

Guest_LoTek_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Apple iPad - buy or no buy? -> definitely yes  :good:

#52 Nightblaze

Nightblaze

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Honestly, I see no point in the iPad. It's just an oversized iPod.
You'd be happier if you just bought a $200 16GB iPod and jail-broke it, then you'd be able to multi-task, read pdf's, etc. for $300 less.
I'm also not sure if playing an FPS on it would be fun or not, since all the buttons would have to be crammed in the corners.

#53 Guest_dovemouse_*

Guest_dovemouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

i have an iphone and a macbook pro.
i want an ipad but i don't know why.

#54 Guest_Nastan_*

Guest_Nastan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

I would rather just buy a Ipod Touch.

#55 Guest_berkin_*

Guest_berkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

i buy

#56 Guest_Riktig_*

Guest_Riktig_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

I usually avoid buying the first generation of a new product like this but I'm really tempted to make an exception. When the iPad is released in Sweden, that is; looks like we will have to wait... I actually surf the web alot from my iPhone, even when I'm at home, so having a larger screen seems really nice.
I don't miss the camera at all and although the lack of Flash support is a limitation today, I kind of support the decision not to include it because it may lead to more sites going over to more open standards in the future (which is a good thing). Also, I don't see lack of multitasking as that big of a deal, it works great on the iPhone as long as the apps are quick to start. But anyways, multitasking may actually be introduced pretty soon (there's an Apple event tomorrow, so perhaps then?)

#57 Guest_wr4thbr1ng3r_*

Guest_wr4thbr1ng3r_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

buy.
its simply awesome

#58 Guest_dashersw_*

Guest_dashersw_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

i'm a coder, and i use LogMeIn Ignition on the road, going to office to make a remote login and code. this earns me at least two hours of my time. with the iPad, i will have a bigger screen, and a bigger keyboard, that will be just awesome. so it's a definite buy for me.

#59 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

Its sure one of those things you have to try to judge because i thought a lot of what you guys are saying about it being pointless and all. But this thing is cool it was a lot of fun to play it might be an oversized ipod now but it has SO much potential

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#60 Guest_RyanH13_*

Guest_RyanH13_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

I think apple will get in a LOT of money with this, because everyone wants the next big thing and it's from apple so it's sure to be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users