#1 Guitarobot

Guitarobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

There are many many many media formats out there. Not all media players can take them, nor can most of them convert medias from one another. Just asking, but does anyone know of any good media converters? I've tried a few but none really worked. I'm mostly trying to convert FLV formats (such as the ones Youtube codes their videos as) to something compatible with iTunes/iMovie. Also something that can change MP4 files to something my XBOX360 can read. I'm leaning towards something that is free than one of those $30 ones out there.
Posted Image

#2 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Handbrake should be fine for that.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#3 Guitarobot

Guitarobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

devilhunter said:

Handbrake should be fine for that.

By any chance does this work with files downloaded from iTunes? Because I just tried it and it says "No Valid Source Found." But when I try another file not downloaded from iTunes, it works fine.
Posted Image

#4 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

What files don't work?
Music/Movies bought from the iTunes Store have DRM in them. Even if Apple said they removed it from most of the music, some limitations remain.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#5 Kyle

Kyle

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

If you want to get the DRM off of the iTunes music you can burn it to a disk then re-rip it into iTunes.

#6 Guitarobot

Guitarobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

devilhunter said:

What files don't work?
Music/Movies bought from the iTunes Store have DRM in them. Even if Apple said they removed it from most of the music, some limitations remain.

The files that don't work are some TV shows I downloaded. I don't know what DRM is can you give me some sort of summary?

Kyle said:

If you want to get the DRM off of the iTunes music you can burn it to a disk then re-rip it into iTunes.
Also, isn't doing that extremely tedious? Considering you have 2GB in shows and the discs you have only store 500mb ea.
Posted Image

#7 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

form wikipedia:
Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to try to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices. It is also, sometimes, disparagingly described as Digital Restrictions Management. The term is used to describe any technology which inhibits uses (legitimate or otherwise) of digital content that were not desired or foreseen by the content provider.

Basically Apple forbids modifying or copying the stuff you download.

- zero

#8 junh1024

junh1024

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

If handbrake is too complex for you , try videomonkey, waay less controls. I prefer Handbrake myself cuz i liek options :P

For remuxing FLVs with no quality loss, i used FLVextract to demux it, (.NET win32 app), mkvmerge/mkvnix to remux into mkv, then quicktime+perian to remux to MP4

#9 Guitarobot

Guitarobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:00 AM

junh1024 said:

If handbrake is too complex for you , try videomonkey, waay less controls. I prefer Handbrake myself cuz i liek options :P

It's not the complexity of the program, its getting the DRM off the videos. There are programs that can do it, but there's two things stopping me:

1. Windows Programs (That doesn't run in Crossover)
2. They cost more than just a couple of bucks.

What I don't get is that Apple let's you convert music files within iTunes into other formats, but not video. I get the MP4 versions of songs from the iTunes Store than convert them on iTunes and everything is okay, I can play them on other music players such as my XBOX360. Why couldn't Apple go a little bit further by letting you convert video too?
Posted Image

#10 Guest_nine7six_*

Guest_nine7six_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

+1 for HandBrake, use that then MetaX to edit the tags.

#11 Guest_MidnightIllusion_*

Guest_MidnightIllusion_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

Handbrake all day.

#12 Guest_Kastaro1_*

Guest_Kastaro1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

I agree Handbrake is my favorite. But iSquint is much more simple and seems to work well.

#13 Guest_pumraW_*

Guest_pumraW_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:52 AM

visual hub is pretty good

#14 Guest_SaXby_*

Guest_SaXby_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

I use Handbrake to rip my DVD's and iSquint to convert them or any other video file for my ipod. The dynamic duo. hahahaha :D

#15 Guest_Wolfpax_*

Guest_Wolfpax_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

+1 for Handbrake, Easy to use.

I usually use it to convert 720p-1080p movie to fit with my DVD5 disc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users