• Create Account

PS3 or Xbox 360?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ZeroAntiGrav_*

Guest_ZeroAntiGrav_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

I've been wondering if i should buy the Xbox 360 or the PS3..
I know alot of people with an Xbox 360 but Xbox Live also cost many every year
PS3 is prolly gonna "last" longer then the 360 but it's expensive..

Can you guys give me some "help" with choosing?

#2 Drakulix

Drakulix

Old nearly vanished Member

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 650M 1GB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:FPS, Action, Minecraft, Skyrim, Strategy, rare Racing

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

I would choose the XBox 360. Since the PS3 has only 256MB RAM, the XBox is more powerful, I think. For examble in unreal tournament 3 you could have only 16 players with the PS3. On a PC/Mac or on the XBox you could have twice as much.
Also if you are a modder, you could flash you 360 to play copied disks. I don't know if such a hack exist for PS3, but that possibility is necessary for me to buy it.
Posted Image

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

hmm, i have this question myself.
The 360 has a great selection of Games, but it's still unreliable with it's pre-mature death and disc scratching problem. Then again the 360 is easily patched for running 'backups' of Games.
The PS3 is stable as a rock and it's Games look great, but it's locked down tight like fort knox and misses social features. The PS Home thing is pretty laughable and useless. And the controller is not as good as the 360's, and the Games lack something. Can't really explain what, but seems like Sony is giving developers a hard time....
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#4 lockon21

lockon21

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Its a difficult question.
I've had both, I've actually gone through 2 360s because of RROD..i don't know how stable they are now but I can't be bothered buying another one for just ME1 and 2.
As for the ps3, I love my ps3..its only locked up on me once and I've had it for 2 years. People say that the graphics look dusty, but thats easy to change via options.
Thats the hardware side of it.
Game side..its up to your personal preferences. I prefer RPGs to FPSs so i tend to lean towards Japanese machines anyway..both have great libraries though. I have no idea what you mean by the games lacking something....games are games. I'd much rather play Heavy Rain than Call of Gears of shooty things.
However its true that the PS3 is difficult to develop for compared to the 360 which is a pc as a console and that the 360 is hackable while the ps3 is not. Apart from having to buy games though, its not like your missing out on much on that side of it.

#5 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Actually the PS3 was hacked recently by a person some of you might know Geohot ;)

I have a ps3 and all my friends have xbox's but i have also had my ps3 longer than most of my friends and all their xbox's have broke. Recently a lot more people are making the switch since the ps3 is now $299 which is the equivalent of xbox. One of the Xbox team members on Ign even wrote an article on why you should buy a ps3 now.

Plus God of War 3 is going ot be badass

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#6 Drakulix

Drakulix

Old nearly vanished Member

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 650M 1GB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:FPS, Action, Minecraft, Skyrim, Strategy, rare Racing

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

The Hypervisior is hacked your are right (Geohot  :Yahoo!: ), but till you could play copied games with it you have to wait a while.
256MB Ram is something I can't accept in a next gaming console, but your right the PS3 is very good. If I would buy an 360 I would add a second cooler. I think if don't want to mod your console the PS3 is better.
Posted Image

#7 Guest_Lentrave_*

Guest_Lentrave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:16 AM

.. i have both and xbox 360 have many more good exclusive game . And the controller is better but the console hardware is junk. i bought the xbox at the launch day and now its my ..... 3rd xbox ...

#8 Guest_ZeroAntiGrav_*

Guest_ZeroAntiGrav_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Well, thanks for all the stuff :D
But i must say my budget is limited, im saving up to 300€ first and then i will choose :P (Moar moneyz or death to mai parents!!  :evil: )
But basically you guys are kind of saying  =@  the XB0x 360 and take the PS3 :P
Atleast some of you.. And the PS3 "Hacked Version" or something? No.
Im not gonna do that because when a game comes out with "Special antihax0rz", i'll be screwed :D

(Btw, my budget will fall like 50-60€ if MW2 comes out for mac ;D)

Thankz for the help guys :3

#9 Phantasm

Phantasm

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

PS3 is better. It has more functions, and u can remote play with PSP system ;)

#10 Guest_IIS0UTHP4WII_*

Guest_IIS0UTHP4WII_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

I love my 360 cause of the game selection, controller, and you can flash your xbox. The only thing I don't like is that we have to pay for live and I've been through three xbox cause of RROD.

#11 lockon21

lockon21

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well Sony have pretty much temporarily bricked any non slim consoles made before late 09...
so we have our share of problems too

#12 Darkuser

Darkuser

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

Personally I'm a fan of the Xbox 360, the amount of games is sufficient to satisfy my needs with plenty of good games (my opinion of course), the controller is one of the best that I have ever had in my hands and it fits your hand perfectly, the case itself doesn't look too shabby and is easily modifiable to your own desires. Support from Microsoft is great whenever you have a problem, there's usually something they can arrange for you, or well... it's like that in the Netherlands. (My Xbox 360 was out of warranty and I called to the costumer service and they clicked a few buttons and I was able to get it repaired for free... Nice fella's.)

Of course the Xbox doesn't only have pro's just like any other console doesn't have all pro's. Paying for Xbox Live sucks, but it isn't that big of an issue, you get plenty of online support for it and the service is being kept nice, fast and without any problems. Of course there's the lack of BluRay which is actually kinda crappy since because of this Xbox 360 sometimes will have multiple discs, Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy 13 for example, however, if you're in for some nostalgic CD/DVD switching then this is perfect for you, since this will probably be the last console where you sometimes will have to change your disc while playing. The Red Ring of Death is of course the biggest issue and when you get one you will feel like you have been stabbed in the back by either your Xbox or Microsoft, but then again, who knows about Windows will pretty much feel like that already anyway :D.

PS3 is awesome in it's own ways, plenty of PS3 exclusives (keep in mind though that a lot of PS3 or even PS exclusives in time will come out for the Xbox 360 as well, Final Fantasy and the new Metal Gear Solid are a few of those examples, franchises that used to be exclusive aren't so exclusive all of a sudden anymore... Works the other way around as well of course, although Microsoft is a little smarter and literally buys a lot of the franchises.) and the PS3 hardware produces beautiful images onto the screen. The BluRay player will mean that you will be able to watch BluRay movies on your HDTV, which is great. It also means that you can play games which have HUGE amounts of data and uncompressed movies, so the movies are astonishing. PS3 is quite a lot more powerful than the Xbox 360, however, it is also a lot harder to program games for the PS3, when a game comes out on both PS3 and Xbox 360, it's either first build on the Xbox 360 and then later on ported (either before release or after) or it takes a hell of a lot more time before it comes out. Porting it however, usually means that the graphics don't fully use the capabilities of the PS3 and thus makes you feel like you are biting a piece of wood instead of a nice candy (over exaggeration ftw).

So there you have it, hope I could clear up a lot of things for you and help you in your decision.

#13 AwesomePossum

AwesomePossum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Definitely the PS3. I've had mine for about a year now, and I love it. Hasn't gone wrong in any way and in my opinion, the library of games is actually much better than the 360 (this can be argued). With stuff like Uncharted 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 1 and 2, you can't go wrong. Plus more games are actually coming out on the PS3 and there appears to be more on the horizon.

Replying to the guy above me, technically, MGS was never a exclusive. If I'm not mistaken, MGS3 was actually on both consoles (PS2 and Xbox). Also, the 360 doesn't get Solid Snake. Hehe.

#14 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Sure buy a ps3....Today Sony has announced people not to use their PS3 due to a Y2k10 bug

/sigh

http://network.natio...2k-in-2010.aspx
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#15 Darkuser

Darkuser

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

AwesomePossum said:

Definitely the PS3. I've had mine for about a year now, and I love it. Hasn't gone wrong in any way and in my opinion, the library of games is actually much better than the 360 (this can be argued). With stuff like Uncharted 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 1 and 2, you can't go wrong. Plus more games are actually coming out on the PS3 and there appears to be more on the horizon.

Replying to the guy above me, technically, MGS was never a exclusive. If I'm not mistaken, MGS3 was actually on both consoles (PS2 and Xbox). Also, the 360 doesn't get Solid Snake. Hehe.

Now that you mention it, that is indeed true, MGS3 was on Xbox, never really noticed it though. It is a shame that MGS4 didn't come out on Xbox 360, but 360 players don't really miss it either, they're satisfied with Halo and such. Which has quite a splendorous story and it just works, but of course opinions differ from person to person. What I do want to say though is that the Metal Gear Solid story is epic to epic proportions.

#16 Guest_genocide148_*

Guest_genocide148_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

I have to say xbox 360 if your going to play online. PSN cant touch xbox live with all its useful features. Plus i think the xbox 360 not only has the larger collection of games, but also better ones

#17 Guest_yeaitsme_*

Guest_yeaitsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

Xbox all the way

#18 CryLL

CryLL

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

PS3 is not that expensive when you know that the cheapest Xbox has no blu-ray, little hard drive capacity, no HDMI port, no wifi.
Online gaming isn't free.

But Xbox is better for modding :'D

Imo you shoulda buy a PS3

#19 lockon21

lockon21

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

PS3s are fine now
and it was MGS2 not 3. Only 1 and 2 have ever been on any other consoles/platforms.

#20 Guest_Jamrandy_*

Guest_Jamrandy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

i would say ps3 as it has a better interface than the X-box and you dont have to pay for online

#21 Guest_feliperios_*

Guest_feliperios_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

PS3

#22 Guest_feliperios_*

Guest_feliperios_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Definetly

#23 Guest_Lance_*

Guest_Lance_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

PS3 online = free
XBL = paid

#24 Guest_Troy896_*

Guest_Troy896_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

In my experience, since i have an xbox and a ps3, a ps3 is the better choice. you save money in the long run because of no fees for internet, you get blu-ray which normally costs 300$, you get playstation home which is cool if you wanna chat with friends. Better exclusive games for it.

#25 Guest_jaybee_*

Guest_jaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Xbox 360 is better imo. Even though you have to pay for Xbox live, it's well worth it!

#26 Guest_teejayallday_*

Guest_teejayallday_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

ps3 360 has about 8 months left to live

#27 Guest_ccenzz_*

Guest_ccenzz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

xbox 360.

#28 Guest_SixFifty_*

Guest_SixFifty_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

As an owner of both, the PS3 is my favourite.

#29 Guest_benny1243_*

Guest_benny1243_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well, we had an Xbox 360 until it got RROD and the warranty had already expired.
Now we have a PS3. The PS3 is (in my opinion) more like a Multimedia Device with Games and the Xbox is more like Videogame Console with some Multimedia.

But there are some very good exclusive Games for PS3, like Heavy Rain, Uncharted etc.
On the Xbox you have Halo and the Games from Rare.

You have to decide whats more important to you.

#30 Guest_JeeWee_*

Guest_JeeWee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

I would go for the 360. Sure, the ps3 has a blu-ray player, but 360 is way versatile for a good gaming experience.
In my opinion, the ps3 is more a multimedia platform than a game console. Also, there's project natal coming for the 360 this year ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users