Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

PS3. Online's free :)

#62 aaronbrookhouse

aaronbrookhouse

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (VRam-256mb)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:02 AM

sexbox all the way :P

#63 Jowacom

Jowacom

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 811 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 2600 HD
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Most genres

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

PS3.

Most of my friends have PS3.

Those of my friends who have Xbox 360, they don't play online.

#64 Crimsonskies

Crimsonskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

PS3.  The exclusives are much better IMO.

#65 chrisangel

chrisangel

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

I say SNES because they still rule.  If not I choose Xbox - because I do not need Blue Ray.  Do not want to replace a dvd collection for what I feel no reason and the extra cash.

#66 Guest_unwound_*

Guest_unwound_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

XBOX - 250GB  is great - just got one to replace my Elite - it's a nice more compact design and quieter...

#67 iSpliff

iSpliff

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

XBOX 360 Slim. It's quiet and looks good. There are much more and imo better games available. The online service is worth its price, it just works. It's cheap. The developers are able to use the most of its power, because it's been on the market for a long time. Halo rocks.

#68 GuardedPlanet

GuardedPlanet

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Get both!

#69 Guest_ginyjhon_*

Guest_ginyjhon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

I will go for Xbox 360 because of its graphics. also very enjoyable more than ps3...

#70 Guest_ZeiTGeisT_*

Guest_ZeiTGeisT_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

ps3 forever but maybe xbox :)

#71 Meldrion

Meldrion

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:32 AM

PS3 has more power,  but Xbox360 more great games.... I've got both... Thanks to my nice girlfriend :D

#72 niknar

niknar

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

xbox live makes the 360 my preferred choice. But I do think the PS3 is a better console.

#73 Guest_Azuma_*

Guest_Azuma_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:05 AM

I have to bring up a point that's seldom made in these debates. But first, I have both the 360 and the PS3. I got both of them at launch and have had tons of time for testing.  The one thing that really sets the PS3 apart from the 360 is the XMB and media capabilities. From my experience, You cannot copy music or videos from a usb mass storage device to your 360. From a media standpoint this is a crushing blow to the 360. I remember whenever I wanted to play my music on my 360, I had to go buy blank cds, burn my music to them, then rip the music from the cds to the xbox which was a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS.  But with the ps3 you can use almost any usb mass storage device to copy any content to the ps3. I actually have so much media on my ps3 that I don't even watch TV anymore, I just watch all the videos I copied to the PS3 (Usually, it's always sunny in philadelphia :D). I also have my entire music collection on my PS3. The music player is also awesome, works just as you would want it to. You can also organize music by artist, album, genre, etc... which the 360 doesn't have.

The other thing that holds an advantage over the 360 is the XMB. Everything is very nicely organized and it responds very quickly. The organization of the NXE isn't that bad but some things seem sort of odd. Like, I'm still not sure what the proper way to find game demos with the most recent update is. I also remember once it took me a half an hour to figure out where I had to go to change the theme (that may be my own stupidity but it never happened on the PS3). It also always seemed like the 360's NXE was very unresponsive. Although I like the XMB more  I do have to say that I don't like how the XMB's settings menu is set up. Things don't seem properly organized and you frequently have to check multiple categories for what your looking for, but I cant say much positive for the 360 either.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone. If you're going to get it just for games and aren't going to be navigating through the home menus very often it can be a tough call. What it often comes down to is the exclusives, online services, and the controller. It seems like less and less exclusives  are being released recently. IMO once you play Halo and Gears of war a few times through there's no real reason to get the 360 just for exclusives, and the same can be said for the PS3 with it's exclusives. What it really comes down to IMO is the online services and the controller. Personally, (probably because I grew up with it) I prefer the PS3 Controller. 360 users always say they have the better controller but in reality they're pretty much the same. There's no real advantage to using the 360 controller over the PS3's or the ps3's over the 360's. The shoulder buttons are pretty much interchangeable. The online services are also very similar. People often say LIVE is worth the money because of all the extra features but really, the only exclusive feature I ever used and probably ever would on LIVE is the private voice chat that can be used in game. On the PS3, the general simplicity of the social features is nice. On the 360, whenever someone sent me a message or I wanted to talk to someone it seems like I was always going through laggy menus to get to what I wanted to do. On the ps3 its a very quick, simple process and the subject line makes it so you can send quick short messages that doesn't require opening any menus to read.

I may sound like a fanboy here but all these points I made (aside from the media stuff) are mostly negligible. During my 360's downfall  of usage (before I started taking advantage of the Ps3's media cpabilities) I would often go to gamestop and would find myself holding two copies of the same game. One for 360 and one for the PS3. The only real reason I went with the PS3 version is because I like the controller just slightly more and I have some close friends on PSN I can't talk to otherwise. Gradually my PS3 library got beefed up and I just stopped playing the 360. So, in conclusion, both are great consoles, but I prefer the PS3. If you don't care about media capabilities it can be pretty close, but I still would just barely prefer the PS3.

On a side note I'm pretty sure my 360 broke. It doesn't seem to want to read discs anymore, so that's another point right there :D

Edit: Holy hell sorry for the wall of text, I seriously intended it to be one paragraph tops.

#74 Guest_GOTYa_*

Guest_GOTYa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

both

#75 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

chrisangel said:

I say SNES because they still rule.  If not I choose Xbox - because I do not need Blue Ray.  Do not want to replace a dvd collection for what I feel no reason and the extra cash.
Why would you have too?
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#76 Guest_LeninStimpy_*

Guest_LeninStimpy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:37 AM

360 because my neighbour has a PS3 and we can do swaps :)

#77 Sithis

Sithis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVallejo/California/USA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I like my XBox 360 never Red Ringed on me

#78 Guest_Cheapshot_*

Guest_Cheapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

PS3 doesn't red ring. I like the feel of a PS3 controller better as well. Less chunky to hang on to and the button layout makes a lot of sense to me. Not having to pay for online play is very nice (although honestly there aren't as many good online multiplayer games for the ps3 as for the xbox) . It depends on what type of games you're into. If you like first person shooters like halo or LFD, then go for an xbox and make sure you understand the warranty. If you like expansive single player games, or more creative sandbox games, and also enjoy watching movies, go for a PS3. If you like to play in literal sand boxes, and wear a helmet to work/school, forget both and go with a Wii.

#79 lallander

lallander

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

Cheapshot said:

PS3 doesn't red ring. I like the feel of a PS3 controller better as well. Less chunky to hang on to and the button layout makes a lot of sense to me. Not having to pay for online play is very nice (although honestly there aren't as many good online multiplayer games for the ps3 as for the xbox) . It depends on what type of games you're into. If you like first person shooters like halo or LFD, then go for an xbox and make sure you understand the warranty. If you like expansive single player games, or more creative sandbox games, and also enjoy watching movies, go for a PS3. If you like to play in literal sand boxes, and wear a helmet to work/school, forget both and go with a Wii.

Oy now, the Wii is a decent machine and there are some damn fine games on it. To get back on topic tho I prefer 360. I am probably a bit biased because its the one I own of course. In general I was rather burned out with the PS2 and how often they seemed to fail. Even I ended up buying a microsoft console. :shock:

#80 kinguyen90

kinguyen90

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

xbox 360

#81 theShadow

theShadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Graphics Card:nvidia geforce 330m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

I went with a ps3 for the greater reliability, and also because had a ps2 and loved it.

here is a video review that sum's them up nicely. it's also freaking hilarious.
http://portingteam.c...edirect.php?htt ... le-Rundown

sorry about the advertisements. can't be helped :\

EDIT: also, keep in mind that this was made quote awhile ago, and his comment about the ps3 not having any games is no longer true.

#82 Guest_cdcoleman_*

Guest_cdcoleman_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

You need to look at which console releases the most games of your favorite category

#83 chrisangel

chrisangel

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Headrush69 said:

chrisangel said:

Why would you have too?

You would to replace all your dvd collection to use the blue ray. By replacing my dvd collection with blue ray. Yes they blue ray plays dvds but what is the point when I can just use the xbox to play dvds....the blue ray player IMO would be useless because I have none :)  To me it is a waste of money.

#84 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

chrisangel said:

You would to replace all your dvd collection to use the blue ray. By replacing my dvd collection with blue ray. Yes they blue ray plays dvds but what is the point when I can just use the xbox to play dvds....the blue ray player IMO would be useless because I have none :)  To me it is a waste of money.
I know what you meant before but I think you didn't state it so well.

What I think you meant: Having a blue ray player adds nothing appreciable since you don't have bluerays.

What you said sounded like: I have to upgrade my DVD library. (just because I can)

:)

The kicker for me was the PS3 is a DLNA compliant client and the xbox360 isn't. The media server I like the best, Mediatomb, doesn't support the UPNP modified system the 360 follows.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#85 gatx370

gatx370

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

I have both and i gotta say that the PS3's online pales in comparison to xbox's. also you cant do that thing where you play your own music in the background like on xbox, but PS3 has some nice exclusives like demons souls, but for multiplayer games its xbox all the way in general.

#86 chrisangel

chrisangel

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Headrush69 said:

chrisangel said:

I know what you meant before but I think you didn't state it so well.

What I think you meant: Having a blue ray player adds nothing appreciable since you don't have bluerays.

What you said sounded like: I have to upgrade my DVD library. (just because I can)

:)

The kicker for me was the PS3 is a DLNA compliant client and the xbox360 isn't. The media server I like the best, Mediatomb, doesn't support the UPNP modified system the 360 follows.

Yeah after you had me reread that it did sound confusing sorry :)

#87 AwesomePossum

AwesomePossum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:58 AM

Definitely the PS3.

I know you've seen the same old argument of advantages and disadvantages but most of it is true. Let me break it down.

1. PSN is free which means you don't ever have to pay for online unless you want to get the premium stuff on PlayStation Plus.

2. PS3's have better graphics, hands-down. Although you can argue that Xbox has pretty good graphics, the argument that HD is 1080p is invalid as 360 runs on 1080i which is pretty much just 720p scaled up.

3. Most games are cross-platform so it doesn't hurt to have a PS3. Also, the exclusives are way better (e.g. Uncharted 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid etc.)

#88 Guest_s3phir0th22_*

Guest_s3phir0th22_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

Xbox 360 all the way!!!

#89 AZNwannabe

AZNwannabe

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, Adventure, good games

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:28 AM

I'd say Xbox 360 if you like FPS games.  But I agree that the PS3 is more reliable than the xbox 360.  Really it boils down to what kind of games you want to play vs. how much risk you are willing to take.

#90 Versus

Versus

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'd go with the PS3. Free online, games, etc. Plus you can install Linux on it if you have the hardware (or so I'm told).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users