Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Mount an image when Wineskin Starts?


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

I was wondering how i would go about getting a Wineskin wrapper to mount a mds disk image so a game can run without the disc (its there to emulate the disc, thus allowing multiplayer without needing a nocd crack)

If i could get this working, it would be great :D

Icase anyone is wondering, this is the one i need: http://m0001.gamecop...s.shtml#Crysis[MULTI3/MULTI5]%20No-DVD/Fixed%20Image

Its all 1 link!

Thanks for your time,
SS.


(P.S. for the next version of wineskin, as a suggestion, can you find some way to easily set something like that up? )
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#2 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

never tried it... do you know anyway to mount the mds via command line?  would probably be one line of code you can stick in your wrapper to make it work.

#3 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

I found this on the ubuntu forum with some guy doing it with Startraft and Broodwar.

Quote

1. install starcraft and broodwar via your cds and WINE

2. restart the computer (I've tried 'not restarting' and going on to the next steps, but something was broken and I got an error telling me that it was unable to change my screen size.)

3. go to your wineconfig>Audio page make sure that you have unchecked "OSS driver" and checked "ALSA".

4. go to your wineconfig>Graphics page and make sure that you have checked these boxes:

    * Allow DirectX apps to stop the mouse leaving their window

    * Allow the window manager to control the windows

    * Allow Pixel Shader (if supported by hardware)

    * Screen Resolution 120 dpi

5. create an iso of the broodwar disk in your home folder by typing this command
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=$HOME/BROODWAR.iso bs=64k

6. create the directory that you want to mount the iso in (i chose virtualdrive/Drive0
Code:

mkdir ~/virtualdrive/Drive0

7. mount the iso to that directory
Code:
sudo mount -o loop BROODWAR.iso ~/virtualdrive/Drive0

8. go back to wineconfig and click on the "Drives" tab. add a new drive (probably drive E) and write the path to virtualdrive/Drive0 into the drive mapping box (I wrote /home/mykola/virtualdrive/Drive0 )

9. select "Show Advanced" and set the "Type" to CD-ROM. then select the "Show dot files" box.

10. run starcraft from your WINE programs list without the CD!
( from here: http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=619250 )


But I personally havent tried it yet and have no idea how well it would work for an mds file.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#4 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:36 AM

mds is only part of an iso... you need the whole thing or part?

if you edit Wineskin to mount a disc on run... Wine will automatically throw it a drive letter.

#5 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

doh123 said:

mds is only part of an iso... you need the whole thing or part?

if you edit Wineskin to mount a disc on run... Wine will automatically throw it a drive letter.

Just a part of an image is needed to emulate a virtual disc, saves about 8gb of disc space.

Modifying/Patchin WINE Source = Me: :)
Building a WS3 engine = Me: :D
Modifying Wineskin itself = Me: :bad:

I have no idea how to modify Wineskin (I had enough trouble getting it to patch right the first 5 times, letalone modifying a Wineskin wrapper myself )
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#6 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

BoomBoxCreations said:

doh123 said:

mds is only part of an iso... you need the whole thing or part?

if you edit Wineskin to mount a disc on run... Wine will automatically throw it a drive letter.

Just a part of an image is needed to emulate a virtual disc, saves about 8gb of disc space.

Modifying/Patchin WINE Source = Me: :)
Building a WS3 engine = Me: :D
Modifying Wineskin itself = Me: :bad:

I have no idea how to modify Wineskin (I had enough trouble getting it to patch right the first 5 times, letalone modifying a Wineskin wrapper myself )

I can show you how and where to put modifications, its not tough... just know if you ever run the normal updater in Wineskin for wrappers, it replaces it, and you'll lose modifications

#7 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

That would be great.

I dont think that ill really update the wrapper much without re-applying the patch.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#8 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:56 AM

BoomBoxCreations said:

That would be great.

I dont think that ill really update the wrapper much without re-applying the patch.


Contents/MacOS/Wineskin

its bash, and it handles just about everything normal wrapper running related...

if you need to add in any special commands.. it depends what exactly your doing it and when it needs to be done.

this is an image i stuck in another thread showing an example of adding in a command to always do...

Posted Image

or here is an example of some code I added in for NWN2

Posted Image

is all bash, so normal commands you'd type in in Terminal will work fine.

if you aren't sure where to put the commands at... just show me what your doing and what your putting in and I can help.

#9 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

Good to know. Ill start playing around with it now.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#10 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

It doesnt seem to be working...

Ive done this:

makedir ~$HOME/.virtualdrive

Which as done to make a folder inside the home folder (i want it invisible, but it doesnt seem to be doing it either invisible or not)

Then ive done

sudo mount -o loop "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fixedimage/image.mds" ~$HOME/.virtualdrive

Which should mount the mds file that i had placed in the c/windows folder inside a fixedimage folder

But it doesnt mount :(

I think that the folder didnt create.

Ive also tried making the folder manually and hiding it myself, but it still deosnt mount.

I originally tried to make a dir inside the wrapper's c drive itself, in the same place where the fixediamge folder is,

makedir ~$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/virtualdrive


But it deosnt work either :(
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#11 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

of course it doesn't mount.. you can't use anything sudo, that requires password entry

#12 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Heres whats in the Wineskin file:

Quote

########### Mount a mds image for a NoCD/Fixed Image file
makedir ~/.virtualdrive
mount -o loop "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fixedimage/image.mdf" ~/.virtualdrive

Its giving this error:

/Volumes/Main/Crysis.app/Contents/MacOS/Wineskin: line 85: makedir: command not found
mount: realpath /Users/stevensaric/.virtualdrive: No such file or directory

Like i said, i think its not mounting right :(
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#13 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

makedir isn't a command... your looking for mkdir

your also better off using $HOME and not ~


########### Mount a mds image for a NoCD/Fixed Image file
mkdir "$HOME/.virtualdrive"
mount -o loop "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fixedimage/image.mdf" "$HOME/.virtualdrive"

is probably what your looking for.

if its mounted in a hidden file in the users home folder.. I seriously doubt that Wine will automatically pick it up...  normally things are mounted in /Volumes ... so it might be tougher.. your gonna have to add code to make the drive letter symlink at bare minimum... might work.

#14 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

doh123 said:

makedir isn't a command... your looking for mkdir

your also better off using $HOME and not ~


########### Mount a mds image for a NoCD/Fixed Image file
mkdir "$HOME/.virtualdrive"
mount -o loop "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fixedimage/image.mdf" "$HOME/.virtualdrive"

is probably what your looking for.

if its mounted in a hidden file in the users home folder.. I seriously doubt that Wine will automatically pick it up...  normally things are mounted in /Volumes ... so it might be tougher.. your gonna have to add code to make the drive letter symlink at bare minimum... might work.

So your saying i might as well just mount it into /Volumes?

I guess it would make life easier.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#15 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

if I was you i'd look for a way to convert the partial image into a .iso or .dmg...  then you can just use the open command, and get OSX to mount it like normal.

like

open -a "DiskImageMounter.app" "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fixedimage/image.dmg"

will throw it in volumes just like it was double clicked in finder.  not sure if it can handle a mdf

#16 thedoc

thedoc

    Administration Team

  • Administrators
  • 1,311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

why mount the image in MacOS when you can simulate Virtual Drives dircetly in Wine - just create a folder inside your Bottles root dir, copy the entire CD/DVD-content into this folder, then create a symlink to the folder in /dosdevices and name it something like d/ or e/

then open system.reg in the wrappers bottle and add these lines to it:
[Software\\Wine\\Drives] 1272322234
"d:"="cdrom"
"e:"="cdrom"
"f:"="cdrom"

when done mount the real CD/DVD and open winecfg  - under the Drives Tab select the real CD - click on more information and copy the Label and serial number into your clipboard.
Then open Textedit and create two plain Text files - one for pasting the serial and one for pasting the label.
rename the text file with the label to ".windows-label" and the file with the serial to ".windows-serial" and put them both inside the drive folder that you created in the bottes root dir. You can then unmount the real drive in OSX since you won't need it anymore.
(Be advised that there is a dot in front of the filename which means that this file will be invisible in the OSX finder - to make invisible files visible I recommend installing a system tool like Cocktail or MainMenu that allows you to do this automatically.)

(sometimes the label and serial thing is not required for a game to recognize the CD - but in many cases the exe will refuse to detect the drive when the label and/or serial of the volume are not recognized.)
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office


#17 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

thedoctor45 said:

why mount the image in MacOS when you can simulate Virtual Drives dircetly in Wine - just create a folder inside your Bottles root dir, copy the entire CD/DVD-content into this folder, then create a symlink to the folder in /dosdevices and name it something like d/ or e/

then open system.reg in the wrappers bottle and add these lines to it:
[Software\\Wine\\Drives] 1272322234
"d:"="cdrom"
"e:"="cdrom"
"f:"="cdrom"

when done mount the real CD/DVD and open winecfg  - under the Drives Tab select the real CD - click on more information and copy the Label and serial number into your clipboard.
Then open Textedit and create two plain Text files - one for pasting the serial and one for pasting the label.
rename the text file with the label to ".windows-label" and the file with the serial to ".windows-serial" and put them both inside the drive folder that you created in the bottes root dir. You can then unmount the real drive in OSX since you won't need it anymore.
(Be advised that there is a dot in front of the filename which means that this file will be invisible in the OSX finder - to make invisible files visible I recommend installing a system tool like Cocktail or MainMenu that allows you to do this automatically.)

(sometimes the label and serial thing is not required for a game to recognize the CD - but in many cases the exe will refuse to detect the drive when the label and/or serial of the volume are not recognized.)

That would probably be an even better idea than the other one. But i think ill stil encounter the same problem (its a very mini image, i dont know why wine or mac doesnt like it, it doesnt even work properly on the windows side.)

&& I use something called Secrets to hide/unhide my files.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#18 thedoc

thedoc

    Administration Team

  • Administrators
  • 1,311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

BoomBoxCreations said:

That would probably be an even better idea than the other one. But i think ill stil encounter the same problem (its a very mini image, i dont know why wine or mac doesnt like it, it doesnt even work properly on the windows side.)

&& I use something called Secrets to hide/unhide my files.

Well i was more generally speaking. There are many games out there that can be tricked with this method - not all of them of course but enough to give it a shot.
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office


#19 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

thedoctor45 said:

Well i was more generally speaking. There are many games out there that can be tricked with this method - not all of them of course but enough to give it a shot.

I think i might give it a shot. In the morning.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#20 nintendotoad

nintendotoad

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 793 posts
  • Location/tmp
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 580 GTX
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

Just so you know, this is what zero/devilhunter/dev (does anyone know which he prefers???) did for Mega Man Legends. Not that the actual port works after 1.1.4 but still...
PortingNetwork now lurks in the shadows... among us.

#21 Ganie

Ganie

    Experienced Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

Had the same thought about another game I want to port: Can we drag the CD along into the port?

Having read all the previous posts, I had a thought I'd like to share.  All the games we are bringing over via Wineskin are windows game, and run in a windows based environment... While I would love for Wineskin to just support .Iso's by giving us a command to auto-mount them, I don't see this happening.  But that's all we need right?

While i am not 100% sure about how command-prompt friendly they are, there are a few iso mounting pieces of software for windows out there, like Daemon-tools, and the freebie virtualCD mounting tool from Microsoft itself.  Here's where it gets tricky (and bear with me on this one!) but I noticed a AutoHotKeys in winetricks.  I use AutoHotKeys for nearly everything, mostly because I love automating as much of my mundane, and repetitive office work....  :evil:  But if all else fails on getting a command to use those tools to mount the drive, you could use AutoHotKeys, and have it cycle through the windows-based mount process before the game starts.

This might provide fruitful results, but at the same time, it might also just not work.

#22 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

Ganie said:

Had the same thought about another game I want to port: Can we drag the CD along into the port?

Having read all the previous posts, I had a thought I'd like to share.  All the games we are bringing over via Wineskin are windows game, and run in a windows based environment... While I would love for Wineskin to just support .Iso's by giving us a command to auto-mount them, I don't see this happening.  But that's all we need right?

While i am not 100% sure about how command-prompt friendly they are, there are a few iso mounting pieces of software for windows out there, like Daemon-tools, and the freebie virtualCD mounting tool from Microsoft itself.  Here's where it gets tricky (and bear with me on this one!) but I noticed a AutoHotKeys in winetricks.  I use AutoHotKeys for nearly everything, mostly because I love automating as much of my mundane, and repetitive office work....  :evil:  But if all else fails on getting a command to use those tools to mount the drive, you could use AutoHotKeys, and have it cycle through the windows-based mount process before the game starts.

This might provide fruitful results, but at the same time, it might also just not work.

Wineskin can mount ISO's fine, even if it couldnt mount other images, all you have to do is drag the contents of the disc into the wrapper and tell winecfg.exe what to do with it (eg. see it as an emualted drive)

Whereas with my problem, You cant actually see the contents of the image file, thus the only way to mount it would be through winetricks.

And installing Any Windows-Virtual drives into a wineskin wrapper could lead to dramas which no one really wants to fix.

P.S. Alcohol 120%, PowerISO and Daemon Tools are the 3 best image mounters on Windows.

On Mac, It can mount some common images (eg. ISO) and where it cant, Toast Titanium can finish the rest off for it.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#23 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

OSX knows to open a .iso the same way it opens a .dmg ... with DiskImageMounter.app

You can simply add in the Wineskin bash code a command like....

open -W -a "DiskImageMounter.app" "$RESOFOLD/SomeDiscImage.iso"

it would just have to be in the MAIN section (near the bottom) sometime after it defines what $RESOFOLD is (which will be the path to the Resources Folder).  This would then mount the ISO in OSX before Wine or anything else launches.  If you have a symlink in dosdevices pointing to /Volumes/SomeDiscImage (whatever the mount name is), then when Wine starts, it should see that disc fine under the same drive letter.

This of course will leave the disc mounted... so the user would have to manually unmount it.  You can command line unmount it... I just don't recall the code off the top of my head, you'd have to google it... and add it to the shut down function in the Wineskin bash script.

The only problem with editing the Wineskin main executable bash script... is there is no way for me to know when its updated or what is changed in it, so if you use the Wrapper Update function, it'll replace that script with a new version and you'll lose your modifications....  I guess I could look into making special blocked off section in there... 3 sections I guess... do on start, do during, and do on shut down... where custom code goes.  everything in a marked off section I'd be able to read the file and parse it and move the section from the old version to the new version on the updates... that could be pretty tricky still though.

#24 dankoB

dankoB

    Legendary Member

  • Super Moderators
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

Wow cool stuff...I wish I had been paying attention to this before releasing GTA Vice City Long Night maybe I could have avoided that step.

#25 BoomBox

BoomBox

    Champion Member

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

doh123 said:

I guess I could look into making special blocked off section in there... 3 sections I guess... do on start, do during, and do on shut down... where custom code goes.  everything in a marked off section I'd be able to read the file and parse it and move the section from the old version to the new version on the updates... that could be pretty tricky still though.

That would be utterly awesome :D

Its not too much of a hassle if you can't do it, And im honestly not sure how many people would use it anyway. But If you could, even in future-future releases, it would be great.  8)
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#26 dankoB

dankoB

    Legendary Member

  • Super Moderators
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

thedoctor45 said:

why mount the image in MacOS when you can simulate Virtual Drives dircetly in Wine - just create a folder inside your Bottles root dir, copy the entire CD/DVD-content into this folder, then create a symlink to the folder in /dosdevices and name it something like d/ or e/

then open system.reg in the wrappers bottle and add these lines to it:
[Software\\Wine\\Drives] 1272322234
"d:"="cdrom"
"e:"="cdrom"
"f:"="cdrom"

when done mount the real CD/DVD and open winecfg  - under the Drives Tab select the real CD - click on more information and copy the Label and serial number into your clipboard.
Then open Textedit and create two plain Text files - one for pasting the serial and one for pasting the label.
rename the text file with the label to ".windows-label" and the file with the serial to ".windows-serial" and put them both inside the drive folder that you created in the bottes root dir. You can then unmount the real drive in OSX since you won't need it anymore.
(Be advised that there is a dot in front of the filename which means that this file will be invisible in the OSX finder - to make invisible files visible I recommend installing a system tool like Cocktail or MainMenu that allows you to do this automatically.)

(sometimes the label and serial thing is not required for a game to recognize the CD - but in many cases the exe will refuse to detect the drive when the label and/or serial of the volume are not recognized.)

I followed these instructions to a T and it still did not work....the game I'm working on looks much better in CXS than it does in Wineskin so I'm wondering if there are any more tricks in CXS I could try to either mount the image after the game has launched (editing script) or if there are any other different measures I could take to convince the game that the image is actually mounted.

#27 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

just bcause Wine and the game see the image as a disc doesn't mean the game will use it corrrectly

On OSX, Wine does not have device access, and lot of DRM that isn't a problem on Linux us still a problem on OSX.

#28 Pluto999

Pluto999

    Veteran Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:41 AM

Some disk images which don't work for particular games being mounted with DiskImageMounter works being mounted with Toast. Have you tried ToastMount

http://portingteam.c...edirect.php?htt ... toastmount

or similar Toast-based utility instead of DiskImageMounter?
Intel iMac 2.4 GHz, ATI HD2600 256 MB, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6.5
Power Mac G5 2x1,8 GHz, GeForce FX 5200, 1.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11

#29 dankoB

dankoB

    Legendary Member

  • Super Moderators
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

DiskImageMounter works just fine and I'm able to play the game flawlessly....I'm just trying to get rig of the extra step of having to mount the disk image for the game to play. I was hoping that I would be able to place the files that are on the image inside a folder and put them in the wrapper in hopes that I could fool the game into thinking the image was actually mounted by means of a symlink or registry entry

Oh well maybe I'll just post it as is.

#30 doh123

doh123

    Wineskin Developer

  • Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

DankoB said:

DiskImageMounter works just fine and I'm able to play the game flawlessly....I'm just trying to get rig of the extra step of having to mount the disk image for the game to play. I was hoping that I would be able to place the files that are on the image inside a folder and put them in the wrapper in hopes that I could fool the game into thinking the image was actually mounted by means of a symlink or registry entry

Oh well maybe I'll just post it as is.

Put the whole disc contents in a folder... replace the /Volumes mount point with a symlink pointing to that folder... see if the game still works... then I'd try making the Drive letter symlink in the dosdevices folder point to some easy to write to safe location, like... /tmp/MyGameMount (whatever you want to name it).  Then make Wineskin create a symlink every run at that /tmp location to point inside the current location of the wrapper where you have the real folder...  then slowly remove things from that folder that might not be needed until the game breaks.. so you can figure out how to make it smaller.

you don;t really have to write it in /tmp... you could try manually modifying Wine on every launch to change the actual symlink in dosdeivces directly to the correct place int he wrapper, but I'd just find it easier to leave Wine set to a hard set location and just create a singe symlink




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users