• Create Account

Starcraft II Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_domonomnom_*

Guest_domonomnom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

I love it, though I feel like it's basically just a reskinning of Warcraft III, in terms of gameplay style, rendering, hero work, etc.

I suppose they were always very similar titles, but it had seemed to me that the strength of Warcraft was the hero/questing business, while Starcraft always seemed to be more of a true RTS. Starcraft II seems to veer more towards a Warcraft-esque hero focus.

The campaign system is certainly innovative in terms of how you interact with it, though, I'll give them that.

#2 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

Hmmm, seems like a classic RTS to me.

Plus, its more like Warcraft is based off of Starcraft...
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#3 DEAD_USER

DEAD_USER

Champion Member

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

domonomnom said:

I love it, though I feel like it's basically just a reskinning of Warcraft III, in terms of gameplay style, rendering, hero work, etc.

I suppose they were always very similar titles, but it had seemed to me that the strength of Warcraft was the hero/questing business, while Starcraft always seemed to be more of a true RTS. Starcraft II seems to veer more towards a Warcraft-esque hero focus.

The campaign system is certainly innovative in terms of how you interact with it, though, I'll give them that.

You obviously played another StarCraft II than I. There are very few hero missions in the game about on par with Starcraft I

#4 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

Starcraft 2 is awesome i was never a huge RTS fan but i love the intense pacing of it. I usually 2v2 with a friend of mine and so far we are #1 in our division waiting to get bumped up.

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#5 bismarrck

bismarrck

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBeijing

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

SC2 is a good game, though i am not a true RTS fan.

#6 theShadow

theShadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Graphics Card:nvidia geforce 330m

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

when I first got starcraft II, I was kind of mentally preparing myself to be disappointed. (since games very rarely live up to all the hype). the installation process didn't help with that (it was 3 days before I could actually play it, due to problems with internet connection. )

however, once I finally got to a point where I could actually play, I must say I was blown away. it's a great, great game.

although I am little disappointed about the performance on the mac version, but I suppose that can't be helped. (and supposedly they are going to release a patch that improves it)

#7 vvsamiamvv

vvsamiamvv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Graphics Card:512MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

theShadow is right on with the performance issues.  The only time I have ever seen SC2 play the way it was meant to be played is with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 on a MacPro! Which is only the highest performing graphics card that you can use in apples machines... correct me if im wrong.

#8 Guest_s3phir0th22_*

Guest_s3phir0th22_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

It was disappointing to me, it just didn't feel the same :(

#9 poimaster

poimaster

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA
  • Graphics Card:amd 5750
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

i've always been a fan of the C&C series, but Starcraft 2 seems fun, skirmishes are a little harder since i put defense first and then attack, the AI is much stronger then in the C&C series

#10 Daradain

Daradain

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Graphics Card:Radeon Pro 560
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:RTS, RPGs & the occasional FPS

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Starcraft 2 I rather liked, but it has the same problem that most Blizzard RTS games have: an utter lack of strategic diversity. (RTS fan speaking) Starcraft is fun and action packed, but quick and fast paced battles are the name of the game. If you don't press your enemy right off the bat, you are almost guaranteed to lose. I personally prefer games that offer a bit more diversity, allowing for multiple strategy types, be they defense, rush, or hit & run. (Kind of like C&C 3) However, if fast action is your kind of RTS, its a very good game.

#11 rodomontade

rodomontade

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:46 AM

I was pretty underwhelmed… gameplay wise, I don't think there was even one single player level I didn't enjoy, but multiplayers where it's at- and well, most of the interesting stuff doesn't exist in multiplayer. Womp womp!

Minor complaints; the Protoss look like Draenei and the ending is lame.

#12 tonchmx

tonchmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 320m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I played the SCI, but I have not had the opportunity to play SCII, but I received many good reviews of the game. I look forward to playing soon u, u
MacBook Pro Late 2010
MacOSX 10.6.5
4GB Ram
Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
NVIDA GeForce 320M 256MB

#13 Guest_yehat_*

Guest_yehat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

rodomontade said:

I was pretty underwhelmed… gameplay wise, I don't think there was even one single player level I didn't enjoy, but multiplayers where it's at- and well, most of the interesting stuff doesn't exist in multiplayer. Womp womp!

Do not forget that Blizzard keeps patching - and the game (multiplayer) changes constantly :-)

#14 Guest_yehat_*

Guest_yehat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

tonchmx said:

I played the SCI, but I have not had the opportunity to play SCII, but I received many good reviews of the game. I look forward to playing soon u, u
Keep in mind that the game's visuals are very impressive, but require significantly powerful graphics card to play normally on "Ultra" settings..... And - there is like looking at different games - between "Low" and "Ultra" ;-) On the Mac side requirements are even greater for the graphics card capabilities.

#15 tonchmx

tonchmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 320m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

yehat said:

Keep in mind that the game's visuals are very impressive, but require significantly powerful graphics card to play normally on "Ultra" settings..... And - there is like looking at different games - between "Low" and "Ultra" ;-) On the Mac side requirements are even greater for the graphics card capabilities.

I'll keeping it in mind. Thanks for the hint.

#16 Ghostrelm

Ghostrelm

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

I almost want a faster machine JUST so I can play SC2 like I'm supposed to play it.  The gameplay is solid, I wish more of the campaign missions were straightforward base destroying missions, and less solo sneaking stuff.. But thats just me.  And yes, Starcraft and Warcraft are very similar, becuase they were made by the same company!  They even have "craft" in the title.  But they are very different.  Starcraft seems more of a real RTS player's RTS game.

#17 idaadi

idaadi

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hey all,

To be honest i played starcraft 1 more than two... i even bought the original and now it's sitting in my desk.... It didn't catch me that much.. but that's just me

#18 jscordato

jscordato

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Starcraft 2 was alright in my opinion. I don't think it quite captured the mood of starcraft 1 though.

#19 stuicy

stuicy

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Nothing beats the old warcraft games. Warcraft III beats any of these starcraft games hands down.

#20 lisim

lisim

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

im loving it very challenging and the online play is amazing

#21 fog

fog

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

loved the game, can't believe blizzard is asking for 180$ for the full version though

#22 fog

fog

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

I mean seriously

#23 Yllv2

Yllv2

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

it could be more fun if all units from campaign are avaible for skirmish... :-/

#24 Unknower

Unknower

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Yllv2 said:

it could be more fun if all units from campaign are avaible for skirmish... :-/
i know exactly where your coming from, unfortunatly balance issues arise if that were the case. epic game. Personally, the best thing they did in SC2 was make it easy as hell to play mp custom maps, league setup is also great. can't wait for the next expansion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users