Information for Porter / The whole CiderX Documentation
Users go here
Many Porters may ask:
1. So what is CiderX?
2. What is the advantage of it compared to Cider?
3. What is possible, that was not possible with Cider?
Here are the answers:
1. CiderX is basically a hybrid Wrapper. A Wrapper combined out of Cider and CXEx.
2. With CXEx as part of Cider you can use CXEx for many things:
- - Installing
- Launching windowed applications (not combined with cider, but for example a config.exe)
- using Winetricks (it is now possible to install .net framework in cider)
3. Basically CiderX does not want to make Cider more compatible, it is trying to make Cider easier to use.
The Core of CiderX is still Cider itself, so it has the same compatibility as Cider. The biggest difference is that you can now install
many winetricks in Cider, that were very difficult to install (PhysX) or nearly impossible (.Net Framework) in Cider.
So now everything new in CiderX will be explained in detail:
- Nearly the same as CXInstaller in CXEx.
Here you can start every EXE File stored on you computer.
Mainly it is build for Installers.
Please do not install DirectX with this feature.
Even if the game you just installed wants you do this.
At first try the game without native DirectX, because Cider has buildin DX dlls.
If this is not working correctly, you can still use XTricks.
But in the most cases the buildin dlls are working and much faster,
so there is no need for the native ones.
- Nearly the same as CXRegedit in CXEx.
Here you can start regedit in CiderX and
edit all registry keys you know about.
WARNING: Nearly every of the Useful Registry Keys
is not working in the CiderX.
But you can find many similar options to the Direct3D keys in XConfig, see below.
XConfig is a gui for simple editing the config file of cider.
It contains many graphic tweaks and explanations for them.
Also you can change Cider's Dll Overrides and enable
SaveDiskv2 copy protection, if you are using engine version 1835
or a custom engine based on it. Also you can give Cider
access to a cdrom drive.
- Works the same way CXWinetricks works like.
It also contains a patched winetricks package.
This winetricks package knows all Tricks CXEx know,
except the one, that are not working in Cider (e.g. Mono).
Also some of the Tricks are patched to work correctly in Cider.
So PLEASE do not try to update this package manually,
it includes a build in installed updater. This updater
will not include the newest winetricks build every time
you are using it, but I am trying to keep it up-to-date.
XTricks will not startup if the path the wrapper
or the wrapper name itself contain a space!
- You know that CiderX uses CXEx and Cider.
Of course there is not one Cider/CXEx Engine.
That is why is app is necessary.
Here you can change the CXEx Engine the wrapper uses
and the Cider Engine it uses.
The standard CXEx Engine is Ebony.
Changing the Cider Engine can be very useful,
every Cider Engine is different.
So this app gives you the advantage of trying out many Cider
Engine, without changing the wrapper itself and loosing all
modifications you already made.
So take use of it!
The new Cider Engine will be copied to the CiderX Wrapper.
So it is still self-containing.
Also you can add system specific engines.
So let the wrapper use another engine when starting up on an older system.
This way you can use the faster leopard only engine for 10.5/6 and and older slower for Tiger users for example.
Last feature are Custom Engines. If you want to mess around with
the cider frameworks and executables select this to copy them into
the wrapper. This will disable system specific engines.
XWrapper and XLauncher
Something I am coming up with.
- Here and only here can change the basic wrapper config:
The Executable Path: The path from C:/ to the EXE File you want to start inside the c_drive.
The Flags: Arguments for the Game Executable
Name: Here you can type the name of the entry in the Launcher.
EngineUsed: Cider or CX.
So what is the point of using cx instead of cider in CiderX?
For example if you make a mistake while porting a game in cider:
The game maybe wants to display a error message, but Cider cannot display it.
So start in with CX , then you see the error, you can fix it, and swap to Cider again.
and the LauncherBackground.png you find in the Port Information Folder.
Only if you just select the first entry, the wrapper will skip the launcher and start the game directly.
- Here you find the Cider.log! Really! This wrapper makes a log from the last Cider Launch!
Also a CiderXLaunch.log. Nothing special there.
And the Folder CXZ: Here you find the normal CXZ Logs: LastWine, LastX11 and Winetricks.log.
Again those logs are only for CXZ!
Customizations like Icon and SplashImage
are found in Contents/Port Information/.
Please DO NOT RENAME them or they will stop working.
Infos for more advanced Porters:
Manual Editing of the System32 folder in CiderX:
- In CiderX are three (!) System32 folders.
3) the normal System32 folder
1) All dlls in the System32-CXZ Folder are used by the CXZ Part of the Wrapper.
2) All dlls in the System32-Cider Folder are used by the Cider Part of the Wrapper.
3) All dlls in System32 are used by both engines and are having a higher priority as the specific system32 folders.
In the Resources folder you find a protectedfiles.txt.
Here you can add files cider is deleting while running (bug on some games)
and CiderX will protect them from being deleted at runtime.
CiderX is a full working arguments app. If you want to use this feature for your installer
open the wrapper drag&drop the CiderX Executable into a Terminal window and type " -help" behind it.
But you need to keep it at the MacOS folder.
So this is everything you need to know at the beginning.
For more qustions: make new topics in this section.
Have fun :D