58 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

Reading a few reports on Apple's newest Cat, 10.7 Lion, i can only wonder what the mac app Store and the Springboard/Finder mishmash will bring.

About the mac app Store:
I knew the mac app Store was coming, since this was the most logical step for Apple to expand and profit more from it's mac business.
Seeing as 70% of the iOS app store apps are Games, this will also mean that Apple will be reviving mac gaming with their new mac app store. (although it won't be so successful, because few people have macs)

Steam will be getting competition, but not really from it's user group they will be targeting (heavy gamers), but from the sheer volume of low cost casual mac Store Games.
(Like Sony and Nintendo curse the iOS app store)

About the Finder / Springboard mishmash:
This is pretty much the most radical change in a mainstream Desktop Interface since the GUI's introduction way back, now with it's Layers, Homescreens and Launchers.
Seeing it now in Screenshots is pretty weird, i wonder how they will pull this off without letting it feel slapped together between iOS' Springboard and the mac Finder Windows.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

i think its a great new desgn...osx app store is going to be interesting

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#3 Taeki

Taeki

Currently on vacation

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:ATi 4850 (512MB)

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

I really don't like it. Not a good way to combine iOS and OS X (I knew it will happen).
If Apple don't come up with better ideas in the next operating system it will be my last Mac (after over 12 years).
Apple is losing more and more quality since they get so much popular...  :oops:

#4 vvsamiamvv

vvsamiamvv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Graphics Card:512MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

It does make me wonder about apples relationship with pro users.  I like to play games when I have time, but I prefer a mac at work as well.  I dont know about all of this app craze in a production environment.  I'm sure the features announced today will be polished and changed before they get into the hands of the public, but it will be interesting how it all plays out.... given that most the employees creating these features are engineers themselves I dont believe that we will take any steps backwards but I do hope they maintain a strong relationship with developers and production environments.  Major changes in UI are typically disliked at first.  I remember hating a lot of the aquaness of Mac OS X when it was first released (Cheetah) and now look how robust and beautiful the design of the OS is. Time will tell...

#5 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

I doubt they'd let me make Wineskin (mainly Wineskin Winery) available in the app store... and I'm not paying $99 for a year just to check and see... maybe they'll put up some info on what type of programs would be accepted.... if Crossover gets in there, then I can get in for sure since Wineskin Winery isn't an emulator.. its just to build wrappers which they would consider under emulation.

#6 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

doh123 said:

I doubt they'd let me make Wineskin (mainly Wineskin Winery) available in the app store... and I'm not paying $99 for a year just to check and see... maybe they'll put up some info on what type of programs would be accepted.... if Crossover gets in there, then I can get in for sure since Wineskin Winery isn't an emulator.. its just to build wrappers which they would consider under emulation.

I think you have good chances that WW is going to be allowed in the Store, since the environment isn't a Phone with limited power and battery.

You could implement a iAd Banner or Google Ad Banner at the bottom of the Winery app, so that you get the 99$ back + a whopping income as well.
I know people will bundle all kinds of apps with Ads, although i don't know if it's allowed to distribute open source software coupled with Ads.
If it's going to be that scenario, you could make WW non-open source, since it doesn't contain actual Wine files in it, its just related and linked to open source Wine Engines.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#7 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

ok forget the appstore... been searching around for people who hav been able to find out some of th guidelines... heres a good one for ya

in the Your App will be rejected if... category

Your game portrays realistic images of people or animals being killed or maimed, shot, stabbed, tortured or injured.

basically means most all the good games out will not be in the app store?

here is another good one a lot of companies will not like... they'll reject your app if it requires license keys or has any type of copy protection.... because its all supposed to be handled by the App Store.

I have considered making Wineskin 2.0 non-Open Source for various reasons... in total, not just Wineskin Winery.  I have as of yet not released any of its source code, and it is a total re-write in different languages of everything, its not re-using anything from Wineskin 1.x.... just not sure how all the Open Source people would like that  :-P

#8 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

>>>in the Your App will be rejected if... category

Your game portrays realistic images of people or animals being killed or maimed, shot, stabbed, tortured or injured.

wtf. replace 'game' with 'browser', and Firefox and Opera wouldn't be allowed as well, since you could access Rotten or 4Chan.
Or Drawing Apps, since you could draw Stick figures that bleed red paint.

- zero

#9 commanderbige

commanderbige

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

the idea of an iOS OSX means that is will be coming closer to a closed system. and while i dont think i will ever go away from mac, it may mean people when they buy new macs downgrade to 10.6. just the fact that its becoming iOS means that even developers may more away from using macs.

#10 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

App Store will fail simple as that, especially if they all have to use the same protection as the the iPhone app store.

but other than that I like the new GUI stuff

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#11 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:37 AM

now that i look at it again it sucks...its like ipad with off screen keyboard and no touchscreen

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#12 Guest_LeopardX_*

Guest_LeopardX_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

I think it looks pretty nice!  And I'll bet there are more than a few performance enhancements and developer APIs under the hood.

#13 arluckman

arluckman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTasmania, AUS

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:48 AM

I think it doesn't look as professional. it looks more simple. from the pictures i have seen, it reminded me of an ipad and an old mac app called at ease. unless i see some improvements i wont be upgrading
Posted Image
Signature Thanks To  GeekyMacBoy1

#14 vvsamiamvv

vvsamiamvv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

I think it would be impossible for apple to release a strictly UI 10.x upgrade.  You can bet that there will be plently of under-the-hood enhancements.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Part of me likes the upgrade. Its making things even more simple than they are now. Thats what Apple is all about - taking the stuff that everyone else has done and then making them really work and simple :)
However, I dont like the idea that the app store maybe a first step towards a closed iOSX with its freedom limited like its being done on ios devices. They should always keep in mind that there are still some professional users who like the idea of a full unix system 5 combined with a nice gui frontend. if they enhance the frontend its great!
apart from that they should also focus on introducing some real new technical advancements, e.g. a new filesystem or eliminating response problems (wheel of death)...
then they should reintroduce the possibility to customize ur interface and i dont mean sth like changing ur background picture, i mean full themes. talking about themes, they should unifiy them throughout osx. and while i am talking about unifying, they should port everything to 64 bit. this doesnt really makes sense; it just satisfies my puristic character traits :P
hrmm, what else....i wanna see the new xcode before 10.7!

ah, and since ive been to macs for just two years now (used windows and linux before) and i am a passionate gamer, i wanna thank all u guys who spent their time porting games and who make me happy :P

#16 EQU1N0X

EQU1N0X

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

I like the idea of fullscreen apps. But we need a LOT more details.

#17 Jowacom

Jowacom

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 811 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 2600 HD
  • I like to play:Most genres

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I think the small things will matter the most. Fix all the small annoyances, that would be great.

#18 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Nothing major for me, looks a bit lazy from apple, just milking the success of the iphone/pad and just shoving it over to macs to try and sell more macs, which is fine in a way, just be nice to see a bit more thought.

I also agree that the quality from apple recently is getting a bit shabby though.

I'll wait and see what else lion brings, otherwise I'm happy with the snow leopard ;)

#19 Guest_Ichijiteki_*

Guest_Ichijiteki_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I personally can't wait, a more streamlined way to access applications will be nice, and with the current addition of the app store, software discovery and use will be a LOT more unified.

#20 filleokus

filleokus

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

As a a developer I like the new APIs and stuff that comes with Lion, as well as the new UI. But it also feels a bit like OS 11 will be iOS, and that's scary.

#21 wotplayer

wotplayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

I hope they have a reliable ntfs support.

#22 NF Mynster

NF Mynster

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationDenmark! Oh yeah!
  • Graphics Card:GTX 650m
  • I like to play:Games..

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

I have tried the developer preview. Its pretty cool. But there are some bugs ofcause.  
And it reminds me of IOS! But also Snow leo. Its like, if you take the best from snow leo, mix it together with IOS, you how OSX Lion.

I can post a video of it if you want to?:D
Posted Image

#23 Haraide

Haraide

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Really? I thought that Lion will be pretty stupid. It looks cool, but unless they come up with something astounding such as free 3d screen with 164-Bit processor with 10,000,000.00000 Ghz then I'm not satisfied.  :lol:

Just kidding but I was actually serious about them doing great because they aren't really make any progress with their "new" technology. The iPad 2 isn't a big deal to me because they only tweaked a few things and created a new chip for it. Honestly, I just think that it was too soon, but I guess they couldn't help it. It was inevitable for them because a lot of people are creating tablets. Now Sony, will announce they new tablet in a like a year (MAYBE) from now being able to play Playstation One games. I also think it was too soon for them to come out with another Mac Book Pro. I mean come on please improve something!!! All they really did was change the graphics card to Intel i7 or something like that. You can see it on their site it just came out right before the iPad 2.
Posted Image
Nura Rikuo by AR-UAon deviantART

#24 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1,966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

HairaideJinMasta said:

Really? I thought that Lion will be pretty stupid. It looks cool, but unless they come up with something astounding such as free 3d screen with 164-Bit processor with 10,000,000.00000 Ghz then I'm not satisfied.  :lol:

Just kidding but I was actually serious about them doing great because they aren't really make any progress with their "new" technology. The iPad 2 isn't a big deal to me because they only tweaked a few things and created a new chip for it. Honestly, I just think that it was too soon, but I guess they couldn't help it. It was inevitable for them because a lot of people are creating tablets. Now Sony, will announce they new tablet in a like a year (MAYBE) from now being able to play Playstation One games. I also think it was too soon for them to come out with another Mac Book Pro. I mean come on please improve something!!! All they really did was change the graphics card to Intel i7 or something like that. You can see it on their site it just came out right before the iPad 2.
They updated the CPU to the sandy bridge update of core i5 and core i7. The performance increase is amazing. Over 2x the performance gain.
Then they improved the GPU as well, not a major upgrade on that part but it's still a fair bit better (if you get the higher end available one)
They managed to do this without losing any battery life as well which is pretty good.
And they also started they're push with Thunderbolt (light peak) which will likely take over USB 3.0 before it even becomes widespread.

Not a small update. It was actually a good update in every way, except some people can see the GPU upgrade as a let down compared to what speed bump the CPU got.

P.S. Apples "new" technology is actually doing extremely well and dominating the market ;)

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#25 Haraide

Haraide

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

I guess you can say that, but I'm just saying that they could have done much more because if you take a look at staples.com and check laptops the PC's have much much better performance. The MacBook is just TOO expensive.
Posted Image
Nura Rikuo by AR-UAon deviantART

#26 vvsamiamvv

vvsamiamvv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

I have always stood by the saying "you get what you pay for."  You want something cheaply built that will last you 2 years, buy a cheap PC. You want something solid that you can still use 5 years from now, buy a mac.  I have used the same MacBook Pro (the first intel apple laptop in 2006) since I started college and I have since graduated and still use it for work and entertainment.  It keeps up just fine and still barely shows its age.  I would like you to find someone as satisfied with their $500 piece of junk they bought from cosco or walmart 5 years ago!  You cant.

#27 admiralhackbar

admiralhackbar

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I don't plan on using the App Store much, if at all, but it certainly looks like the interface tweaks and changes are going to be enough to get me to upgrade to Lion.  I'm one of those people with applications stowed all over the place, so being able to pull everything up at once (especially if I've forgotten which directory I put something) seems like a nifty addition.

#28 karannz1

karannz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

I think lion is good but porbably not something for wwhich i would pay upgrade from my Snow Leopard... But idk, will wait and see how it comes out to be... :)
Karannz1

#29 ajie9168

ajie9168

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Graphics Card:I dont know
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:49 AM

i just freaking bought my snow leopard disk!! nooo!

#30 val

val

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

They are making an effort to simplify computers for computer illiterate people. Avoidin the need to handle the filesystem yourself (apple programs have autosave now) is a step in the right direction.

It's also funny how Apple is leading the design of new UIs. Even Linux is taking ideas from Lion. After Lion beta, the Gnome Shell made a switch to a LaunchPad style UI: http://live.gnome.or...ur#Applications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users