• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 musicman3320

musicman3320

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

I don't like most of the additions.  You should not try to make a desktop more like a handheld device, you have more screen space and more controls for a reason.

#32 Blinkwing

Blinkwing

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

I think there is a good balance. There isn't too much iOS in it and some changes to the OS are really great!

#33 mk2k12

mk2k12

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

I've been using the Developer Preview for a month or so and it's great. Rock solid stability and plenty refinements everywhere. It's hard to go back to Snow Leopard after that.

#34 Haraide

Haraide

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

an Upgrade for Lion only costs $29 dollars in the app store. Steve Jobs also made it so that you don't have to restart your computer to get the install screen on. you just have to wait for it to install THEN restart your computer and then BAM! Lion. I saw the keynote it was really cool. You can try it as well.
Posted Image
Nura Rikuo by AR-UAon deviantART

#35 irishwolf93

irishwolf93

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

ive heard alot about the mac app store, isnt there already an app store? i was hoping someone could help clarify that misunderstanding, sorry im new lol

#36 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

mac app store was introduced in 10.6.6 and has been updated for stability and tweaked to be ready for Lion in 10.6.8...rumor is that it will be available on the 14th

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#37 Haraide

Haraide

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

Lion is coming out this summer, the Mac App Store is already been out. It will be installed along with the Mac update and will be automatically placed in your dock. There are just a lot of things to fix.
Posted Image
Nura Rikuo by AR-UAon deviantART

#38 themollusk

themollusk

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

I am personally looking forward to it. Although I'm not a fan of the inbuilt Mac App store. :/

#39 tehdoood

tehdoood

Novice Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

I really like the new feature in Preview that allows you your iSight camera to scan your signature and create a digital signature from it. very very handy.

#40 shadowblade5789

shadowblade5789

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

I like the new interface, but I'm rather pissed they dropped PowerPC application support.  I'll need to find some other way to run Diablo and Starcraft 1....

#41 dmfinzi

dmfinzi

Novice Member

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

I do not know how do you feel about it yet for me the only negative that I see in lion that it has no longer Rosetta and needs additional download of Java  as a newbie it would be interesting to see what others think about this :)

#42 hillz00

hillz00

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

i think its great. took me a while to figure out how to turn off "natural" scrolling lol

#43 HyperNova

HyperNova

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I LIke most of the updates but things that suck are....

Launchpad : Horrible, because it contains ALL your apps (including what it thinks are apps that aren't), the folders aren't the same as the ones in the apps folders and not multilayered folders, and its not customisable in anyway other than which position the apps appear in.  Would have been great if it was more like an extension of the Dock where you could put all your apps that you use and remove the ones that aren't really apps.
No Rosetta:  this sucks from my point of view as I have a lot of older PPC games so I had to create a Snow Leopard Partition. THis though is completely understandable as apple want to move forward and leave PPC behind
No Front row: I was probably one of the few people that used front row, I understand that it wasn't popular and not to have it on nNew macs but my remote is almost useless now unless your already in an app that can use it. I know I can hack I to work (mostly) but why not just have brought it across anyway?

#44 Interocitor

Interocitor

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:07 AM

If you don't have a multi-touch trackpad, then don't bother.

#45 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

HyperNova said:

Launchpad : Horrible, because it contains ALL your apps (including what it thinks are apps that aren't), the folders aren't the same as the ones in the apps folders and not multilayered folders, and its not customisable in anyway other than which position the apps appear in.  Would have been great if it was more like an extension of the Dock where you could put all your apps that you use and remove the ones that aren't really apps.
I love it... they could make it a bit easier to organize, but other than that its great.

I made the first page set up with all my main apps I use and a few folders of my less used apps... then all junk apps I never want to see on there on the second page in junk folders... while thats not "removed"  I I never see them and they don't get in the way. It works out fantastic and so much better than having a buncha icons and folders in the dock.

#46 Spdyrel

Spdyrel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

I feel like that are trying to make my iMac into an ipad. Not good in my opinion.
Once you go Mac you won't go back!

#47 iHope

iHope

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

It's mostly your own opinion. I like Snow Leopard, but Lion isn't that bad.

#48 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

doh123 said:

HyperNova said:

I love it... they could make it a bit easier to organize, but other than that its great.

I made the first page set up with all my main apps I use and a few folders of my less used apps... then all junk apps I never want to see on there on the second page in junk folders... while thats not "removed"  I I never see them and they don't get in the way. It works out fantastic and so much better than having a buncha icons and folders in the dock.
I'm not a he fan of it either.

I'm still using Himmelbar which lets me modify the Applications listed and is super fast.
(Probably like it because it reminds me of the old Now Menus on Mac OS 7.x+ days, which was awesome)

Spdyrel said:

I feel like that are trying to make my iMac into an ipad. Not good in my opinion.
IMHO I believe this argument is splashed all over the Internet and it is greatly blown out of proportion.
Has OS X borrowed some "ideas" from iOS, sure, but other than a few minor things (other than launchpad), it's still clearly a desktop OS.

My biggest issue with OS X (Lion and previous) is that there are a wealth of features and shortcuts that are never advertised that are incredibly useful and flexible.  That and Safari (whether due to plugins or not) still causes more beach balls than I care to admit.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#49 Mephistol

Mephistol

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

I don't like the aesthetic changes but I guess it runs a little faster.  I don't use the launchpad or any of that new iphone looking junk

#50 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

Finally got it yesterday and I must say the changes are great, so far nothing has really changed only improved.

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#51 Yawn

Yawn

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:...
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

I bought Snow Leopard more or less as soon as it came out because it was exciting and shiny and new. Or something. I forget. Haven't got Lion yet though because ... well it all seems a bit unnecessary. Ho hum. Why does Lion exist?

#52 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

Yawn said:

I bought Snow Leopard more or less as soon as it came out because it was exciting and shiny and new. Or something. I forget. Haven't got Lion yet though because ... well it all seems a bit unnecessary. Ho hum. Why does Lion exist?
Lion has considerable changes "under the hood" that will only mean better things for all users, but unless you follow the technical underpinnings or you are a developer you are not likely to see.

Unfortunately this doesn't sell as well as flashy GUI changes.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#53 Yawn

Yawn

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:...
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

Fair enough. If I end up getting the new Sibelius I may upgrade then.

#54 drat0n

drat0n

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Locationsecret underground base

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

I think i'm getting back to OSx Snow Leopard.

i got some problems with lion wich can (i think) be fixed, but for now im getting back

- if i put a game folder in my wineskin app on my desktop it makes a Alias, so i have to copy it and then i have 2 instead of 1, and it takes more time, if i want a alias i will create one....
- my mission control doesnt work well with my corners of the desktop (sorry for worse english, im dutch) it works 50% of the times not...
- as HyperNova said about Launchpad everything is in it, and i deleted an app and it is still in there and you can't delete it.

And many ports dont work on lion....
Some people just need a high five.......In the face.......with a chair

#55 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Just a few hints to fix some of the issues.  (To be honest, I personally like Lion better than SL, and this is the first time I upgraded right away, without ever looking back)

drat0n said:

- if i put a game folder in my wineskin app on my desktop it makes a Alias, so i have to copy it and then i have 2 instead of 1, and it takes more time, if i want a alias i will create one....
While dragging a file (it woks since Tiger, probably before, but that was what my first Mac had):
- Hold down Option if you want to copy it
- Hold down Command if you want to move it
- Hold down Option and Command if you want to create an alias.

- as HyperNova said about Launchpad everything is in it, and i deleted an app and it is still in there and you can't delete it.
It usually detects on its own when you delete an app, and removes it automagically.  But some times it forgets to do so.  If it's still showing a deleted app you want to get rid of, do the following:
- Click on the app icon.  It'll realize the app is missing and it'll show a questionmark on top i of the icon.
- Hold down Option.  It'll show an "X" button above the icon.  Click on it.  The broken link is now gone.

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#56 drat0n

drat0n

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Locationsecret underground base

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

syao said:

Just a few hints to fix some of the issues.  (To be honest, I personally like Lion better than SL, and this is the first time I upgraded right away, without ever looking back)

drat0n said:

While dragging a file (it woks since Tiger, probably before, but that was what my first Mac had):
- Hold down Option if you want to copy it
- Hold down Command if you want to move it
- Hold down Option and Command if you want to create an alias.

It usually detects on its own when you delete an app, and removes it automagically.  But some times it forgets to do so.  If it's still showing a deleted app you want to get rid of, do the following:
- Click on the app icon.  It'll realize the app is missing and it'll show a questionmark on top i of the icon.
- Hold down Option.  It'll show an "X" button above the icon.  Click on it.  The broken link is now gone.

wew thanks for that!

but it's still a problem with some ports that wont work in Lion... like Dead Space...
i think that is a small period issue and it will be solved sooner or later, so now i stick to Team Fortress 2 :D
Some people just need a high five.......In the face.......with a chair

#57 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm trying to use Lion as much as possible, but I do not like it.
Scrolling bars looks bad and they have removed so many short cuts.
Preview had a very nice apple+shift+s to save a copy, in Lion it's replaced by Export which has no short cut.
I have added short cut to Keyboard Shortcuts in system pref, but is does not work, unless I add it every time i restart the machine.. This is really annoying since I do use that feature daily, sometimes 25 times daily..

Also wifi is a lot less stable on Lion, or maybe the MBA is less stable, since it looses connection very often and sometimes after sleep it does not resume connection until i select it again.
(Seen many reports about this), it also seems that it has problems seeing smb shares, but when I manually add a smb share once, it sees it at least for a few days.

Not to mention the loss of rosetta and that CXEx and Cider porting is not possible (well, once the cider port is made, you're good to go).

If i could downgrade my machine to 10.6.8, I would have done it, but the 2011 MBA doesn't support anything less than 10.7.0

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#58 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

cluthz said:

Scrolling bars looks bad
You have a point here.  I liked the candy-like look, so yummy.  At least they left the progress bars as jelly as they were, I still want to eat them :x

I'm still testing the shown-only-when-scrolling setting for scrollbars, still not sure whether I like it, but it frees up screen space on my 13" MBP.

Preview had a very nice apple+shift+s to save a copy, in Lion it's replaced by Export which has no short cut.
I have added short cut to Keyboard Shortcuts in system pref, but is does not work, unless I add it every time i restart the machine.. This is really annoying since I do use that feature daily, sometimes 25 times daily..
Yep, this was an annoyance to me as well when I switched.  But I got used to it now and I don't mind it anymore.
To save/duplicate a file I usually option-drag the Proxy icon to the folder I want it in... or File->Duplicate (yeah, it has no shortcut either, but I usually access it from the titlebar rather than from the File menu) then cmd-s to save with a new name.

Also wifi is a lot less stable on Lion, or maybe the MBA is less stable, since it looses connection very often and sometimes after sleep it does not resume connection until i select it again. (Seen many reports about this)
Not sure about this (never happened happen on my 2007 MB, 2009 iMac and 2011 MBP), but in the 10.7.2 release notes there was a mention about an issue with slow reconnection to the network after waking from sleep.  *shrugs*

it also seems that it has problems seeing smb shares, but when I manually add a smb share once, it sees it at least for a few days.
Had some problems with smb shares not being mounted, too.  But as I don't have windows computers at home and I rarely access a smb share (I noticed it at a friend's place), I can't tell whether the problem was on the windows side (i.e. happening also if I had any other OS than lion) or on mine.
There ere also some annoyances on the afp shares (specifically, the version of netatalk I had installed on my linux homeserver wasn't accessible any longer, and I had to upgrade it to the latest beta available)

Not to mention the loss of rosetta and that CXEx and Cider porting is not possible (well, once the cider port is made, you're good to go).
Yeah, I had to give up on a few old programs (and find alternatives) with the departure of Rosetta.  But if it's true as they claim that it helped removing a layer of complexity from the OS and make it snappier, I'm more than happy of giving up on them (for once, I didn't notice any performance decrease from this upgrade - unlike the dreadful Tiger->Leopard upgrade, which made me downgrade right away on my earlier MacBook, and stick to 10.4 until 10.6 came out)

If i could downgrade my machine to 10.6.8, I would have done it, but the 2011 MBA doesn't support anything less than 10.7.0
To say the truth, I bought my MBP in June (I was planning to delay it and use my old MB for a few more months), to make sure I had the chance to stay on 10.6, if Lion turned out to be bad.  Now I wish I had waited, so that I'd get the newer keyboard with the Launchpad key on Fn-F4 instead of the useless Dashboard one.  Oh well, I'll live with it and use a gesture in BetterTouchTool to access Launchpad, as I do on the other computers.

Btw, talking about Launchpad, it took about 24 hours to change my mind from the 'I'll never use that useless crap' to the 'wow, now that I've sorted my apps into folders, it works great' line :P

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#59 portME85

portME85

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

I don't like it, I've had a lot of network connection issues after I upgraded. Though it seems that I have worked them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users