Maybe because I have Mac OS X 10.5.8!
Spoiler

#62 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Punisher978 said:

doh123
Maybe because I have Mac OS X 10.5.8!
Spoiler

its working wrong on some 10.5 installations.. I assumed you had 10.6 because you put 10.6 on your profile...  it works fine in 10.6 right now, but on some 10.5 machines its creating wrappers wrong... i have this in my list of stuff to look in to.

#63 Punisher978

Punisher978

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:14 AM

doh123
But when I had only 10.5.8 on disc so I installed it. I will buy Mac OS X 10.6. soon.

#64 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:23 AM

Punisher978 said:

doh123
But when I had only 10.5.8 on disc so I installed it. I will buy Mac OS X 10.6. soon.

in the next few days I'll have the new Wineskin.app done for beta... and try to fix some of the wrapper issues... at least get it working on 10.5 and 10.6 the same

#65 Punisher978

Punisher978

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

doh123
You are the BEST!!!

#66 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:15 AM

I'm going to try to work tomorrow on some wrapper bugs... I have Wineskin.app re-written and I think fully functional enough to release, but theres a few bugs that needs to be fixed before I release a new wrapper update.

Hoping to have out a beta 6 Wineskin 2.0 wrapper by the end of the day Thursday, or sometime on Friday.

#67 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

very cool doh.  :friends:  I'm very much looking forward to this!

#68 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

I've come to find that Wineskin Winery failing to make wrappers on 10.5 is some bug in NSFileManager copy operation... but it only happens if its a 64 bit app.  If you force Wineskin Winery to run in 32bit on 10.5, it should function properly... at least it does on my 32 bit machine.  I've found other people posting about this problem, but no fixes...

I think I'm gong to find a way to force 10.5 to always run it as 32 bit... we all know 64 bit support was pretty crappy in 10.5 anyways.... it works fine in full 64 bit on 10.6.

EDIT: I've found a couple ways listed for making it run 32 bit on 10.5 but any valid architecture on 10.6+ ... but I have tried even what Apple says and its still always running 64 bit on 10.5 as well.

for the time being I'm going to build Wineskin Winery, and Wineskin as 32 bit only... as this bug will affect them both... if anyone finds a way to fix this let me know...

#69 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

I've narrowed down the hanging at a black screen when overriding on Wine 1.3+...

it only happens it appears when Wine is launched using the command line Explorer /desktop command to make a virtual desktop... if that isn't used everything shuts down right.  If i set up a virtual desktop via the registry and not while launching Wine, then it also seems to shut down fine.

So you should be able to so this bug in Wineskin 1.2 or 2.0 beta if you use one of the later 1.3.x engines, and you set the screen options to a Virtual Desktop (not with winecfg) or fullscreen (which actually does run a virtual desktop faking itself as a fullscreen).

If i cannot find a fix for Wine... I may try to make the Virtual Desktop Options (and fullscreen) in Screen Options actually change the registry instead of trying to launch using the command line arguments.  This is a PITA, but I already have figured out how to do this decently to fix turning on and off letting the window manager mange Wine's windows or not.

On the next wrapper release (beta 6) which I should have out tomorrow (Friday) you'll be able to CMD+Q to kill it if it doesn't shut down, and it will then be usable again... but its still leaving some stuck wine processes right now.. trying to figure out a way to safely get rid of those without possibly killing other Wine based programs that might be running.

#70 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

thanks Doh :) this problem was annoying me badly. I'm glad you found the issue!

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#71 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

doh123 said:

EDIT: I've found a couple ways listed for making it run 32 bit on 10.5 but any valid architecture on 10.6+ ... but I have tried even what Apple says and its still always running 64 bit on 10.5 as well.

for the time being I'm going to build Wineskin Winery, and Wineskin as 32 bit only... as this bug will affect them both... if anyone finds a way to fix this let me know...

By "what Apple says" you mean you tried LSMinimumSystemVersionByArchitecture already?  Or something else?  I don't currently have a 10.5 computer with a 64bit CPU, so I can't say I tried, but it's supposed to work...

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#72 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:57 AM

syao said:

doh123 said:

By "what Apple says" you mean you tried LSMinimumSystemVersionByArchitecture already?  Or something else?  I don't currently have a 10.5 computer with a 64bit CPU, so I can't say I tried, but it's supposed to work...

I have not tried doing that manually... I tried the changes to the Xcode target they have in the help file somewhere that is basically adding extra entries under minimum OS version and selecting architectures... but It never actually changed my Info.plist with anything in it even though the main project lists it in Get Info.

I can try to manually make entries for that and see if anything happens different.... I'd like to keep it 64 bit on 10.6+... but it really doesn't matter.  Its a very small program and all of Wine is running 32 bit anyways

EDIT: I manually added the lines in my Info.plist and it worked fine... its running 32 bit on both my 32 and 64 bit 10.5 machines, and as 64 bit on my 10.6 machine.  Thanks!  didn't know what the key name was  :-)

#73 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

Updated main post...

put up Wineskin Winery 1.0 Beta 6.2

Put up Wineskin 2.0 Beta 6 wrapper

I have not yet made a new installer, so all installs must be done through Wineskin Winery... your built in update should work (it might not unless you reboot or haven't run it recently, there was some internet caching problems) or you can install it from the download here...  everything else needs to be installed using Winery at the moment.

#74 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

Great work doh!!! I started an installer a moment ago wich crashed at once with the last beta version! i will test some more. later. But then you know, progress is being up!
Posted Image
I only port GREEN! :)
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

Get your PC games work on the Mac: http://www.paultheta...age8/page8.html

#75 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

Nice work with the the decorade windows options. It was one of the only reasons i went to wincfg all the time, saves time for me ;) Great job!!
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#76 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

another step up for the UI! great work. the only draw back is the looks and layout to the tools section. it looked better in the previous version
for the HELP! button i would use the Mac ? button and then shift the layout around a bit to get the button on the bottom-left or right. its just more Mac-ish and looks nicer

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#77 Punisher978

Punisher978

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

doh123
I love you it works!! I will test it soon!
Spoiler

#78 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

paulthetall said:

Nice work with the the decorade windows options. It was one of the only reasons i went to wincfg all the time, saves time for me ;) Great job!!

yeah, it was annoying going in there.  I just made it each time you click the checkmark, it gets its state and sets the settings right in the user.reg file.

I think I'm going to have to do that for the Virtual Desktop settings too and stop using explorer /desktop on Wine launching to make a virtual desktop... it *should* prevent the bug that stops Wine from closing down right.

playn said:

another step up for the UI! great work. the only draw back is the looks and layout to the tools section. it looked better in the previous version
for the HELP! button i would use the Mac ? button and then shift the layout around a bit to get the button on the bottom-left or right. its just more Mac-ish and looks nicer

The previous version just had bigger buttons... I couldn't find a way I liked it, so for now I just stuck normal buttons in there.... or did you mean previous as in Wineskin 1.x?  There is a lot more buttons now and a single list down with text by them looked really funny.

I had the Mac round ? button there at first, but I couldn't place it anywhere that made it look like it was a main window help screen, it always looked like it was lined up to be help on just 1 specific thing on the window.  It was very hard spacing that window decently as it was... not sure how I can get that on there.   I stopped playing with the UI a lot and just put it out so I can get feedback though... luckily using ObjC/Cocoa now I built it all in Interface Builder, so its much easier to edit later.

#79 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Now only one important piece of misery to go...the shutting down issue ;)
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#80 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

doh123 said:

playn said:

The previous version just had bigger buttons... I couldn't find a way I liked it, so for now I just stuck normal buttons in there.... or did you mean previous as in Wineskin 1.x?  There is a lot more buttons now and a single list down with text by them looked really funny.
nah the previous beta version. it looked nicer to me with the bigger rectangle buttons

Posted Image

– Steve Jobs

#81 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

paulthetall said:

misery?  its not that bad is it?

with Beta 6 wrapper if you CM+Q or right click and quit or select quit however in OSX, it'll close everything down right now without having to go manually kill some processes.

As to the not shutting down, it happens only in the times when Wine is launched in 1.3+ using Explorer /Desktop command to make virtual desktops.  this is how Wineskin launches it when you have Rootless with a VD or Fullscreen selected.  I tried a bunch not using that, and manually setting the VD's in the registry (or in winecg) and it never happened.  Also if I have it set to Automatic (which is using RandR) it hasn't ever happened for me... and that should be the number 1 choice people should be using... override is a backup just in case RandR isn't handling something right.

I will have it fixed in a future update though, even if the Wine bug is never fixed, because I'm going to change the VD's to work by changing the registry and no longer use Explorer /Desktop to make them.

#82 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

doh123 said:

paulthetall said:

misery?  its not that bad is it?

with Beta 6 wrapper if you CM+Q or right click and quit or select quit however in OSX, it'll close everything down right now without having to go manually kill some processes.

As to the not shutting down, it happens only in the times when Wine is launched in 1.3+ using Explorer /Desktop command to make virtual desktops.  this is how Wineskin launches it when you have Rootless with a VD or Fullscreen selected.  I tried a bunch not using that, and manually setting the VD's in the registry (or in winecg) and it never happened.  Also if I have it set to Automatic (which is using RandR) it hasn't ever happened for me... and that should be the number 1 choice people should be using... override is a backup just in case RandR isn't handling something right.

I will have it fixed in a future update though, even if the Wine bug is never fixed, because I'm going to change the VD's to work by changing the registry and no longer use Explorer /Desktop to make them.

Well its that bad, because in most of the cases i need to set full screen (otherwise crash), and or set a resolution for making the speed excepable. And because we advance more in more in 1.3+ (1.3.8 tomorrow) its annoying to every time kill those processes. And especially the people who use it (in almost every case the biggest noobs you can know of) complaining. For us its just some extra work, for others they don't know what to do and complain. And if i am honest, i really would like it to be fixed ;)

But for the rest, you have my deep respect for your work.
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#83 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

paulthetall said:

Well its that bad, because in most of the cases i need to set full screen (otherwise crash),

and you turned off the window manager being able to decorate and control windows?  That usually always causes a crash with RandR if its left on... is why i put the checkmark in Wineskin.app now so its quicker to get to.  As long as you have that off, it usually has no issues going to fullscreen or back and changing resolutions... unless you have more than 1 display, then it will almost always fail... but that will be fixed when Display Capturing is working in randr.

#84 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

doh123 said:

paulthetall said:

Well its that bad, because in most of the cases i need to set full screen (otherwise crash),

and you turned off the window manager being able to decorate and control windows?  That usually always causes a crash with RandR if its left on... is why i put the checkmark in Wineskin.app now so its quicker to get to.  As long as you have that off, it usually has no issues going to fullscreen or back and changing resolutions... unless you have more than 1 display, then it will almost always fail... but that will be fixed when Display Capturing is working in randr.

Ow.....euh....cool, i will check that out, didn`t checked that out ;) I will let you know. Thanks!
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#85 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yup, your right, the window decoration did the trick :D You are great Doh or whatever your real name is!
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#86 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

paulthetall said:

Yup, your right, the window decoration did the trick :D You are great Doh or whatever your real name is!

I just like staying anonymous... I dunno why... people don't know if I'm a guy or a girl or a human at all... I'm really just an AI living on the internet  :-P

#87 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

doh123 said:

paulthetall said:

I just like staying anonymous... I dunno why... people don't know if I'm a guy or a girl or a human at all... I'm really just an AI living on the internet  :-P

You are a girl ;), i know. But i don't know your name. by the way Wine 1.3.8 is out!
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#88 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'll get 1.3.8, I haven't opened my email so my RSS feed hasn't shown up  :-)

I figured out the resolution changing wrong on shut down with override... its matching the lower res by the Y for some reason always when changing.  I'll figure out the bug, but I know how to reproduce it easy now.

#89 paulthetall

paulthetall

Champion Member

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

doh123 said:

I'll get 1.3.8, I haven't opened my email so my RSS feed hasn't shown up  :-)

I figured out the resolution changing wrong on shut down with override... its matching the lower res by the Y for some reason always when changing.  I'll figure out the bug, but I know how to reproduce it easy now.

Great to hear!! Thanks!
Posted Image
Love Wineskin
Live the Life

#90 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

doh123 said:

1.3.8 is up... for 1.2 and 2.0 beta

I figured out the resolution changing problem and have it fixed for next wrapper update.  Was just a slight flaw in parsing reso information and I was cutting the X value off by one number, which was making it hard to find a matching mode, so it was just finding something with a matching Y value.... so this will be fixed next wrapper update Beta 6.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users