15 replies to this topic

#1 ICCAFSN

ICCAFSN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to Wineskin (and Wine in general), but I'm already amazed at the potential of it. I'm trying to run a very simple Windows game called TWMJ (website here). It's a pretty faithful version of Mahjong (the multiplayer version, not the solitaire version), which actually is kind of hard to find.

The main issue with the program is that it is written by a Taiwanese programmer and consequently needs to run under a Traditional Chinese language pack in order to display its fonts correctly. I have not for the life of me been able to figure out (or find good directions) on how to run EXE's that require a foreign language pack for proper font display with Wineskin - I've been Googling for several hours already.

Can anyone here give me a hand in how I need to create a wrapper to do this? I tried playing around with Winetricks and installing all the fonts, but that didn't seem to work.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.7 on a MBP 2.2 Core 2 Duo with Nvidia 8600M 128 MB VRAM. My parents will love you to death if you can help me get this working. Thanks!

ADDENDUM: I just wanted to add I'm already familiar with the basics of making a wrapper with Wineskin, I've already successfully wrapped a few simple EXE's; however, I never needed to use Winetricks before and I don't know how to handle this foreign font issue.

#2 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

I found this - http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

and was able to get this far at least...

Posted Image

Although I haven't got the foggiest idea as to what to do from there....when I press certain buttons I think it's asking to import files maybe? The dialog boxes that I saw did not contain the chinese fonts but the app certainly does.

If your parents are familiar with the application it shouldn't matter if the dialog displays the font or not...it did open a selection box to import files into the wrapper so it seems to be fully functional. Hopefully you can take it from here...if you run into any issues just post them here and somebody will be more than happy to help you out.

#3 ICCAFSN

ICCAFSN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

Hi DankoB,

Thanks for replying. I can get to the window that you took a screenshot of above. However, I actually do need the dialog boxes to show up in the Chinese font. From what I remember, Windows XP had to be localized as Chinese Traditional in order for the dialog boxes to show up properly (under Language For Non-Unicode Programs in the "Regional & Language Options" Control Panel). Is that possible with Wineskin?

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

It will need the right fonts...

You may also need to set a LANG environment variable in custom commands

I'm not at a computer so I cant look it up easily but you should be able to search about the LANG environment variable

#5 ICCAFSN

ICCAFSN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hi doh123,

During my Googling of LANG, i came across this weblink, which states that LANG does not work on Mac OS X. Instead it says to use LC_MESSAGES.

However, I don't think I'm using these variables correctly. Right now, I'm using a wrapper where I first ran the Language Pack installer that DankoB linked to in his post. Then in the Advanced Configuration dialog box, I have what's in the picture.

Posted Image

This is the direct link in case the picture isn't embedded correctly.

What else should I be doing/trying?

#6 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

I came across this... http://www.alanwood....mplifiedchinese

You must need the correct font installed to display the characters perhaps? There are a dozen traditional Chinese fonts there.

#7 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

ICCAFSN said:

Hi doh123,

During my Googling of LANG, i came across this weblink, which states that LANG does not work on Mac OS X. Instead it says to use LC_MESSAGES.

However, I don't think I'm using these variables correctly. Right now, I'm using a wrapper where I first ran the Language Pack installer that DankoB linked to in his post. Then in the Advanced Configuration dialog box, I have what's in the picture.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

This is the direct link in case the picture isn't embedded correctly.

What else should I be doing/trying?

I've heard the same things.. but both ways about LC_MESSAGES and LANG... whatever you find out there on the internet, just try multiple ways.

The picture looks fine.  As long as your only doing 1 command that should work... if you need to set multiple things, just separate them by semi-colons ( ; ).  If you mess up the syntax, it will probably fail to even start the wrapper anyways.

#8 ICCAFSN

ICCAFSN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:49 AM

Thank you DankoB and doh123 - your suggestions helped me adjust my Google searching to help me find the solution. I have the wrapper working just as I want it now. Here's a screenshot with the menu/dialog boxes working in the Chinese font (I also don't understand what it says).

Posted Image

It turns out the process is much simpler than I would have thought. Basically, it comes down to:
1. generate generic wrapper
2. install traditional chinese font (thanks DankoB for the link above)
3. point wrapper to game EXE file
4. add custom command to designate Traditional Chinese use (a fortuitous Google search revealed the proper syntax is "export LANG=zh_tw.utf-8")

I found out that the sequence of the steps is important - you need to install the fonts before running the custom command. For reference, I typed up detailed instructions for myself should I ever need to do this again in the future. I'm pasting it here so that others can benefit from my (less than 1) day of work. Again thank you DankoB and doh123!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions for running TWMJ (or other programs that require Traditional Chinese for proper font display) using Wineskin. The order of the steps is important - particularly making sure to run the Traditional Chinese Font installer first.

1. Launch Wineskin Winery.app (I'm using v2.1)
2. Create New Blank Wrapper (you will be prompted for wrapper name)
3. You will be prompted re: Wine Gecko Installer - since internet access is unnecessary for TWMJ, click "Cancel".
4. You will get a dialog box indicating the wrapper was successfully made - it is OK to quit Wineskin Winery at this point.
5. Locate the wrapper that was just created.
6. Right-click on the wrapper and Show Package Contents
7. Launch Wineskin.app
8. Click on "Install Windows Software"
9. Launch ie_zht.exe (see link below) to install Traditional Chinese font
10. After successful installation, Wineskin will complain about not finding new executables.
11. Back in the Finder, copy the TWMJ EXE file into drive_c/Program Files/
12. Back in Wineskin, click on the "Advanced" button
13. Under the configuration tab, click Browse and select the TMWJ.exe file
14. Under custom commands, type "export LANG=zh_tw.utf-8"
15. Click "Done" to accept your changes.
16. Click "Quit".
17. Launch the Wineskin wrapper to run the program.

Downloading Office XP Tool: Traditional Chinese Language Pack
1. Go to http://portingteam.c...edirect.php?htt ... layLang=en
2. The file you download is called "ie_zht.exe"

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

glad you got it working...

I'd just point out on 14 that the command is entered without quotes.

Guess I got the 2.1 update with the custom command thing out just in time  :-)

I wrote up some info about setting LANG and installing Fonts in the Wineskin FAQ.... I've had people ask the questions before but never really been able to test things before to figure all this out.  Guess I should learn some other language sometime.

#10 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Does this somehow work with Japanese Fonts in other apps as well?

I usually have this Problem:
Posted Image
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#11 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

it should... make sure a japanese font is installed and set LANG correctly...  probably one of these...
ja_JP
ja_JP.eucJP
ja_JP.SJIS
ja_JP.UTF-8

I'd think the UTF-8 one would probably be correct.

#12 ICCAFSN

ICCAFSN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

I would think that it would work. Your screenshot resembles some of the ones I saw while experimenting around. Here's one of what it looked like before I got the set up working properly.

Posted Image

I'm curious to know whether it works for you or not - let us know.

#13 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

i can positively confirm ICCAFSN's method is 100% working on Wineskin 2.4 with recent wine/CX engines!

Messing with the registry (font substitution) alone will only work 50% of the time if lucky.

MILLION THANKS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

the correct command is "export LANG=zh_tw.utf-8" (without quote of course)

#14 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

My exact steps:

1. Obtain "PMingLiu" font (filename is "MingLiU.ttc"), copy it to \drive_c\windows\Fonts\
for example, from: http://mingliu.myweb...Liu/MingLiU.zip

2. Import this registry setting(Show packages -> Wineskin.app -> Advanced -> Tools ->Wine tools -> Registry Editor):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
"Arial"="Arial"
"Arial CE,238"="PMingLiU"
"Arial CYR,204"="PMingLiU"
"Arial Greek,161"="PMingLiU"
"Arial TUR,162"="PMingLiU"
"Courier New"="Courier New"
"Courier New CE,238"="PMingLiU"
"Courier New CYR,204"="PMingLiU"
"Courier New Greek,161"="PMingLiU"
"Courier New TUR,162"="PMingLiU"
"MingLiU"="MingLiU"
"PMingLiU"="PMingLiU"
"FixedSys"="PMingLiU"
"Helv"="PMingLiU"
"Helvetica"="PMingLiU"
"MS Sans Serif"="PMingLiU"
"MS Shell Dlg"="PMingLiU"
"MS Shell Dlg 2"="PMingLiU"
"System"="PMingLiU"
"Tahoma"="PMingLiU"
"Times"="Times"
"Times New Roman"="Times New Roman"
"Times New Roman CE,238"="PMingLiU"
"Times New Roman CYR,204"="PMingLiU"
"Times New Roman Greek,161"="PMingLiU"
"Times New Roman TUR,162"="PMingLiU"
"Tms Rmn"="PMingLiU"

3. Enter "export LANG=zh_tw.utf-8" in Wineskin's custom command (Show packages -> Wineskin.app -> Advanced -> Configuration -> Custom Commands)

You need to obtain another font and change "zh_tw.utf-8" to something else if your language is not traditional Chinese.

#15 jethorg

jethorg

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:HD4000

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for your information, ICCAFNS. I got some Simplified Chinese games working with Wineskin.

However, the steps could be simpler. There is no need to download Office XP Tool.

1. Set Custom Commands (Show packages -> Wineskin.app -> Advanced -> Configuration) to "export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8"(this is for Simplified Chinese, without quotes and Case Sensitive)

2. Search and run cjkfonts at Advanced -> Tools -> Winetricks.

#16 johnscc

johnscc

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6750M

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the information provider above, I'm here to add some more information about the fonts in Wineskin.
The windows system uses registry to remember the main font setting. The way above to add "export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8" will change the main language for windows as the target fonts.

This way should work for any language you want to show. I'll take zh_CN.UTF-8 as example.

1. first open the regedit: Show packages -> Wineskin.app -> Advanced -> tools -> Registry Editor (regedit).

2. find HKEY_LOCALE_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

3. now you will see MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 at the right side.

4. just change the value for these two items. The value matches the font name which is copied to c:\windows\fonts of Wineskin app. Careful that the font name is not the font's file name, open the font and you can see the name from the font manager. You can copy any fonts here for your own use (I dragged the fonts from Windows). In zh_CN it will be Simsun (simsun.ttc), and I changed it to Microsoft Yahei (MSYH.ttc). And the application will launch in Chinese.

5. don't forget to add export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users