HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Author

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Icewind Dale II has been driving me crazy. The game suffered from a flickering cursor and major slowdowns most of the time, but not always. Searchign for the cause I found the most unlikely reason ever: an open finder window of the folder containing "Icewind Dale 2.app"

Posted Image
a recepie for disaster

This must be the weirdest bug ever. I don't even mean the folder for the content of the wrapper (right click -> Show Package Contents), but litereally the folder (e. g. "Games" or whatever).
It is the finder window, nothing else, I checked so many times, quit every application, it is always the finder window. The Icewind Dale theme is going to haunt me tonight. Changing the folder and opening the new folder caused the exact same issue. Putting the wrapper onto the desktop worked fine, as long as there was no finder window of the desktop open. Launching the game from a stack works perfectly as well.

I even tried the same thing with Forklift, another file manager, but nope, everything works fine. It is ONLY the Finder.

But it doesn't just affect icewind Dale II. King's Bounty gets that weird bug where characters are not drawn except for a few polygons floating.

I don't know about IWD2, bu in King's Bounty there is usually an override for msvcrt.dll set in Winecfg. Maybe that helps.

I would upload my ports, but my internet connection wouldn't be able to handle it. If there are some logs I could post to help out, then please someone tell me what to post.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#2 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1,966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

What happens if you use a finder view thats not cover flow (or whatever its called)

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#3 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Indeed, only cover flow (yes, that's what it's called) is broken. I still get some minor cursor flickering (but no slowdowns) with the other views, but I am not sure whether this is realated to the finder or a bug in the game itself. I remember that Icweind Dale 2 had some pretty weird graphical bugs on Nvidia cards.
I tried cover flow in Forklift and everything was still fine.

While I'm at it, I wanted to install a modpack, but the installer seems to be a Windows command line application. Is there any way to use such an application from a wrapper? I tried setting the installer as the main executable, bu then it jut freezes without even opening a DOS prompt.

#4 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

I know the slowdowns too well, this seems to be a fault how the windowserver 'understands' things.

Some Games run great when fullscreen, but if i switch to window mode everything stutters and lags and makes them unplayable. (has something to do with the resolution's adaption to the X11 window manager)
CrossOver does this as well, however i haven't tried these things in the newer CrossOver.
The newer CrossOvers use newer versions of the windowserver and the actual CrossOver executalbe, CXx still uses the one from 2009. (CX 8.1 if i remember correctly)

Since doh uses a custom windowserver, this problem could not appear in WS.

The thing you can try however in CXEx is, this.
I switched from Windows windows to Mac windows in Central (ugly windows to maclike windows), but Windows windows seem to have some better performance across multiple applications.
Meaning games that stutter with mac like windows perform better if X11 doesn't overlay the mac windows. (Windows windows - yeah this sounds weird)

Add this at the bottom of the User.reg file
[Software\\Wine\\X11 Driver] 1238356143
"Decorated"="N"
"DXGrab"="Y"
"Managed"="N"

Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#5 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

I already had disabled decoration. Well, i tried those other two lines, but it still lags.

I can live with this bug, I'll simply put it under known issues and tell users how to avoid it, since everything else appears to be fine. It was just driving me crazy when I was searching for what caused these slowdowns, since they were not there every time. I suspected Mail, Adium, Flash videos, Dropbox, Typinator... anything but one specific Finder window in one specific view option. But now that I know the cause, I can easily avoid it.

#6 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

OK, I tried the original Icewind Dale, no slowdowns, runs as smoothly as it gets despite the Finder window. Weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users