• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

Blizzard recently announced on their forums that with the release of Mac OS X Lion, they will be axing support for Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1. This is due to the fact Apple is dropping powerPC app support.
http://us.battle.net...opic/2228176840

Due to this fact I started to port StarCraft in Wineskin. There's an existing CXZ port but I wanted to use newer builds of wine. I can get the game running at the moment but I'm running into a problem. Without any reg edits the game runs, but lags badly. WineHQ says this on the topic.

Use the key "DirectDrawRenderer" and add that to your registry with the value "opengl"; you may also need to add the key "RenderTargetLockMode" with the value "readtex".

(Found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D using regedit)

When applied this does speed up the game at a hefty price, the colours of the game become horridly corrupt. It's super late so I'm gonna sleep now and look at this tomorrow with fresh eyes and put up screenshots and any errors I find. If anyone can help, thank you in advance.

#2 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

If you want you could use the new CXEx Central feature to upgrade the CXZ wrapper to be compatible with Lion and also take advantage of CXEx which provides a lot of improvements over CXZ.
One of the features is you will be able to update the wrapper to a newer CXWine engine. The latest is based on Wine 1.3.9 I'm pretty sure.

Some info here viewtopic.php?f=240&t=8209 under the "Note:" section.

Sometimes though, newer Wine versions can have regressions and actually be worse for some games/apps compared to older versions of Wine. If your struggling to get it working in the newer Wine versions, try an older one and see if that helps.

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#3 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Do not buy Lion that works too
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#4 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

I did my research and people recommend using a very old version of wine 0.9.14 that works well with StarCraft. I'm gonna try avoid using it. As well there's a patch that allows battle.net to run flawless, it has never in a version of wine. Is there a way that I could compile 0.9.14 with this patch for wineskin?

EDIT: Compiling patched wine source

#5 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Okay my battle.net patched version of wine-1.2-RC6 (it was known to work) is now compiling. I tried to compile 0.9.14, it configured the source but stopped after and told it had some errors and for me to run make, obviously it failed. I'm going to try to do without it but is this version of wine simply too old or can I tell the compiler to ignore any errors? I'll give more errors and try again after my current compiling.

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Stealth said:

Okay my battle.net patched version of wine-1.2-RC6 (it was known to work) is now compiling. I tried to compile 0.9.14, it configured the source but stopped after and told it had some errors and for me to run make, obviously it failed. I'm going to try to do without it but is this version of wine simply too old or can I tell the compiler to ignore any errors? I'll give more errors and try again after my current compiling.

Wine before 1.1.5 will not build by default on OSX.. you'll need to find some of the old patch files that were needed to get it to build... but I do not have them.

#7 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Okay got my patched version up and running with StarCraft. I applied dsound in winetricks to remove some errors in debug and without any other reg changes the game was painfully slow and essential garbage.
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_WaitForVerticalBlank (0x1585a8)->(1,0x0): Stub
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":5153"
	  after 78 requests (78 known processed) with 1 events remaining.

Once applying the reg changes I get this:
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f27c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_GetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":542"
	  after 43 requests (43 known processed) with 1 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":542"
	  after 170531 requests (170531 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

With this:
Posted Image

Other then that the game runs great with the reg changes, just the colors.

#8 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Have you tried with "DirectDrawRenderer" = GDI, it usually works good on older games

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#9 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

Wine versions up to 1.1.25 don't suffer from the messed up color regression - if possile you should try applying the patch to one of those sources.
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office

#10 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

cluthz said:

Have you tried with "DirectDrawRenderer" = GDI, it usually works good on older games

That solved the colour problem but I'm still not getting the best speed, it lags but not as bad. The opengl option definitely has the best speed but has that colour issue. I'm comparing this to the native StarCraft client.

#11 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

thedoctor45 said:

Wine versions up to 1.1.25 don't suffer from the messed up color regression - if possile you should try applying the patch to one of those sources.

I'll compile it with my patch and try again.

#12 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Stealth said:

thedoctor45 said:

I'll compile it with my patch and try again.

I'm having trouble compiling 1.1.25 with my battle.net patch, dohn123 said this:

Wine before 1.1.5 will not build by default on OSX.. you'll need to find some of the old patch files that were needed to get it to build... but I do not have them.

I assume I need this patch to compile, would anyone have it?
As well I tried the standard 1.1.25 included in the wineskin winery and the colour issue wasn't solved.

Edit: I compiled 1.1.24 with no effect on the colour.

#13 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Stealth said:

I'm having trouble compiling 1.1.25 with my battle.net patch, dohn123 said this:

I assume I need this patch to compile, would anyone have it?
since 1.1.25 is 20 dev releases newer than 1.1.5 ... then no, it should compile fine as is.  These are normal computer version numbers, not decimal points...

"one dot one dot five" is older than "one dot one dot twenty-five"

#14 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Was reading on WineHQ how cedega uses some hacky methods to get StarCraft working. Loaded up CiderX and got the game to run but the screen was black but I could hear the game and the noise the game makes when I drag the cursor over a button. Further testing is needed.

Edit: Silly of me to use Cider, better focus on Wineskin, compiling 1.1.6 at the moment.

#15 Stealth

Stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Got it working, will do some final tests and output a port onto Demonoid.

What got it working was using CXG10 and then this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D 
DirectDrawRenderer = opengl 
DisabledExtensions = GL_ARB_fragment_program 
OffScreenRenderingMode = fbo 
RenderTargetLockMode = readtex 
VideoMemorySize = 256 (Or whatever your system supports) 

I'm trying to compile a version of CXG10 that gets the battle.net menus working.

#16 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:35 AM

Good job - hope you get it working - I realize may "Do not upgrade comment" may have seen a bit harsh I was only joking. If you need help let me know - I have may Star Craft CD still.

I will say though Blizzard should just release an intel patch, though I am sure they will not.
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#17 b1100101

b1100101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sorry to reactive this old thread, but I'm trying to get StarCraft 1 running on my Lion Mac.
I used CXEx Central and got it working, but it's very slow, so same problem as op, I tried changing the registry but all I got was visual garbage. So I tried the other option to emulate virtual desktop, that works fine. But it really sucks to have such a tiny window. Everything is just too small.
So, do you have any other ideas how to get this running?

ps: Tried "gdi" as cluthz mentioned also, but that's just as slow as the first try.

Hope you guys can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users