10 replies to this topic

#1 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hi, I'm very new at this and don't know 100% on what I'm doing.
Any help is appreciated.

I am trying to wrap Deus Ex with wine, and it all installed fine, went well. Now I try to run the app and it comes up with the error 'The program dxhr.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'
I'm using the latest winery and latest wine (to my knowledge) 1.3.27
I saw someone else had this problem a few days ago but I can't find the thread again.
What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

First of all, the lastest wine 1.3.27 is a development version and not guaranteed to work. I would start by trying version 1.2.3, which is the latest stable version.

Second, the error you got does not mean much, other than that Wine and Deus Ex are not talking amicably. You should try to get a proper log to find what is wrong, as described here. Post it here, or link from pastebin and then doh123 or other knowledgeable people can look at it.

Best wishes,
Oscar

#3 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

P.S. If you have a problem with dxhr.exe, could it be that you are trying to run Deus Ex: Human Revolution rather than Deus Ex?

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

yeah if its Deus Ex: HR its been problematic so far getting it running with Wine... best to look through the AppDB entry on winehq.org

#5 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Sorry, forgot to clarify that I'm trying to run Deus Ex: Human Revolution, not Deus Ex.

As ovvldc suggested, I used 1.2.3 and that got rid of the problem. But now it just shows a white screen and plays the opening music.

LastRunX11.log looks like this (not sure if it's relevant, but I guess anything helps right?)
http://pastebin.com/02jrFisQ
LastRunWin.log looks like
http://pastebin.com/tca7FmcG

Seeing as it's having problems with wine, should I just give up until further notice?

Thanks again.

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

According to the AppDB

http://appdb.winehq....rsion&iId=24271

Noe one has gotten it to work on stock Wine builds... it takes a custom compiled version, and then its still problematic.

#7 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

In that case I'll look for something else to try for the time being.
Thanks to the people that gave help and speedy replies.
I hope I can soon become better at this.

#8 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Could it be the same problem as people had with Dead Island where the file that determines the resolution kept resetting on game restart? It resulted in a black screen and the music playing.
Of course I don't have an idea as to what would cause it, I'm just trying to help out.

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

maybe... have to play around with things and figure them out... its how all porting gets done  :-)

#10 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

My suggestion is to try port something that is known to work, just to learn how to work with wine.
Then after awhile try more difficult ports.

Porting has a pretty steep difficult curve, especially if you start on something that requires custom builds.

I started with Heroes of Might and Magic 3 then I tried The Witcher, which was pretty difficult to get running. It didn't help that I had steam version either...

I have 23 ports up on this site, and have ported several games that already have a port here, and I still learn something new for every port I make.

It's really fun tho, and I almost enjoy porting as much as I enjoy playing the ports!

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#11 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:08 AM

cluthz said:

My suggestion is to try port something that is known to work, just to learn how to work with wine.
Then after awhile try more difficult ports.

Yeah I realised that I had no chance of being able to port anything complex so I tried DOOM 2.
Even that is giving me trouble, but just with the screen having the resolution of an ipod touch (rectangular, and about 200x600)
I shall persist though.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                               2 x 4-core 2.26GHz w/ 8 virtual cores | Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz
                                                              512mb nVidia GeForce 120 | 256mb nVidia GeForce 320M
                                                                                   8 x 2 GB RAM | 2 x 2GB RAM
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users