Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Brain Teasers


  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#61 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

View Posttarunium, on 01 April 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

The carpenter and nurse were both women, so the police figured the fireman must be John.

Co--rrect! :D
You give a brain teaser now.
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#62 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostHrachya, on 01 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Dude, it makes complete sense. The cops are racist, its a fact.

Hehe, in this teaser, the cops are all bright, straight, honest and down-to-earth men who everyone can only dream of.
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#63 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I want to send a box full of top secret files to my friend. A messenger is going to deliver the suitcase, but I don't trust him, so I need to lock the box. I have a lock and a key that I can use to lock the box. My friend also has a lock and a key, but her key won't fit into my lock. So if I lock the box but don't send her the key, she won't be able to open it. The messenger will take the box back and forth between me and my friend as many times as I want, but he won't deliver anything except the box. Also, if he ever gets the chance to open the box, he will steal the files. How can I get the files to my friend?

#64 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

View Posttarunium, on 01 April 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

I want to send a box full of top secret files to my friend. A messenger is going to deliver the suitcase, but I don't trust him, so I need to lock the box. I have a lock and a key that I can use to lock the box. My friend also has a lock and a key, but her key won't fit into my lock. So if I lock the box but don't send her the key, she won't be able to open it. The messenger will take the box back and forth between me and my friend as many times as I want, but he won't deliver anything except the box. Also, if he ever gets the chance to open the box, he will steal the files. How can I get the files to my friend?

Well...

Sender locks the box and sends it. Receiver locks the box with her lock and sends it back (box now has 2 locks) Sender unlocks his lock (the first one) and sends the box back. Now the receiver simply unlocks the box, as the lock left on it is her lock originally, and the one she has the key for.

Or find a trustworthy messenger...




A bargeman needs to get a wolf, a sheep, and a bundle of hay across a river. His barge is too small to bring more than one thing/animal with him at a time. If he leaves the wolf and sheep together on the same side of the river the wolf will eat the sheep. If he leaves the sheep and hay together the sheep will eat the hay. How does he get everything across the river?

#65 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostDonGato, on 02 April 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Well...

Sender locks the box and sends it. Receiver locks the box with her lock and sends it back (box now has 2 locks) Sender unlocks his lock (the first one) and sends the box back. Now the receiver simply unlocks the box, as the lock left on it is her lock originally, and the one she has the key for.

Or find a trustworthy messenger...

Correct! But you already knew that.

#66 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

What kind of crazy F**k would drive a 10000KG truck over a bridge known to only be able to sustain exactly 10000KG?

#67 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostHrachya, on 02 April 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Picture a bridge four kilometers long and strong enough to hold ten thousand kilograms, but no more. A loaded transport truck weighing exactly ten thousand kilograms drives onto the bridge. At the halfway point, a sparrow weighing 30 grams lands on the truck, yet the bridge doesn't collapse. How could this be?

The sparrow lifted the ten thousand kilogram truck up.
Just kidding.

The sparrow removed a little package from the truck. (I'm assuming that the truck isn't carrying a sealed container)

OR

The truck driver got distracted by the bird and veered off the bridge.
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#68 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostHrachya, on 02 April 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Picture a bridge four kilometers long and strong enough to hold ten thousand kilograms, but no more. A loaded transport truck weighing exactly ten thousand kilograms drives onto the bridge. At the halfway point, a sparrow weighing 30 grams lands on the truck, yet the bridge doesn't collapse. How could this be?

By the time the truck got to the halfway point it had already burned 30 grams (or more) worth of gas.

#69 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Posttarunium, on 03 April 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

By the time the truck got to the halfway point it had already burned 30 grams (or more) worth of gas.
Wow. Wow-- you are smart. D:
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#70 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

A woman has two sons who were born on the same day in the same year, but they are not twins. How is this possible?

Oh, and the woman has never had any other children.

#71 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

They were (*gasp*) Adopted..........

#72 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostDonGato, on 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

They were (*gasp*) Adopted..........

Yes! Or, at least one of them was adopted.

#73 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

A man encountered a bear in a wasteland. There was nobody else there. Both were frightened and ran away. The man ran to the north, the bear to the west. Suddenly the fellow stopped, aimed his gun to the south and shot the bear. What color was the bear?

#74 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostHrachya, on 03 April 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Red! because it got shot!

Not the answer I was looking for. Although it is a valid point.

Let's change the wording to "what color was the bear before it got shot"...

#75 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

If the bear ran west... and the guy shot south...
Then the bear didn't get hit, did it?
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#76 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostSouthTuna, on 04 April 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

If the bear ran west... and the guy shot south...
Then the bear didn't get hit, did it?

Not unless the guy was shooting from the north pole, or his bullet ricocheted like crazy off something.

Anyway, the bear was white... from fear! And also because it was a polar bear.

#77 DonGato

DonGato

    Professional Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSailing...Well no probably working on the boat...
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

ding ding ding.

#78 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

A king had twin sons, and they were always quarrelling about who should inherit the kingdom. To decide the issue, the king proposed a race. Both sons would mount their horses and ride from the capital city to the border of the kingdom. The twist is that the owner of the horse that comes last would inherit the throne. Both sons rode around aimlessly on their horses, neither one riding towards the border. Eventually they realized that this could last forever, and they decided to consult their wise uncle about what to do. Their uncle told them something, and both princes immediately jumped on the horses and began riding towards the border as fast as possible. What did their uncle tell them?

#79 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

View Posttarunium, on 05 April 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

A king had twin sons, and they were always quarrelling about who should inherit the kingdom. To decide the issue, the king proposed a race. Both sons would mount their horses and ride from the capital city to the border of the kingdom. The twist is that the owner of the horse that comes last would inherit the throne. Both sons rode around aimlessly on their horses, neither one riding towards the border. Eventually they realized that this could last forever, and they decided to consult their wise uncle about what to do. Their uncle told them something, and both princes immediately jumped on the horses and began riding towards the border as fast as possible. What did their uncle tell them?

The uncle told them something that involved thinking that inheriting the kingdom was not as good as they imagined it would be?
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#80 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostSouthTuna, on 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

The uncle told them something that involved thinking that inheriting the kingdom was not as good as they imagined it would be?

Nope. You can assume that they both still want to inherit the kingdom.

#81 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

    Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Posttarunium, on 05 April 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Nope. You can assume that they both still want to inherit the kingdom.

Er...  the horse would pass the border first alone before the owner followed second, making the owner 'last'?
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro
Avatar thanks to adini

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#82 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

View PostSouthTuna, on 06 April 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Er...  the horse would pass the border first alone before the owner followed second, making the owner 'last'?

Read the conditions of the race again: The owner of the horse that comes last will win. The horse has to come last, not the owner. Also, coming last means crossing the border after the other horse. There's no trick involving the meaning of 'last'.

#83 Headrush69

Headrush69

    Rookie Porter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

They rode each other's horse.
(So uncle said to ride other twin's horse)

If right, don't have a new question. Someone help me out.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#84 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostHeadrush69, on 06 April 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

They rode each other's horse.
(So uncle said to ride other twin's horse)

That's right!

#85 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostHrachya, on 06 April 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Ok, a mom came up to her daughter and said "Your dog died, it got run over by a truck." The girl started crying for half an hour. Afterwards the mom said "Oh I'm sorry, I made a mistake," why did she do that?

April Fool's joke?

#86 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

The mom needed to make the daughter cry for some reason. Maybe they were shooting a TV show or commercial for which they needed her to cry? The daughter's too young to act, so the mom made up a story to make her cry.

Am I on the right track?

#87 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Okay, here's the next brain teaser:

Is the fundamental group of a compact Riemann surface of genus greater than 1 a free group?

#88 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Just kidding with that last one. Feel free to answer it if you want to, but here's my real brain teaser:

There are three bags in front of you. You can't see inside them but you can reach in and draw out the contents. You know that each bag contains two marbles. One of them contains one black and one white marble, one contains two black marbles, and one contains two white marbles, but you don't know which bag is which. The bags also have labels on them. The label on the first bag says "black-white", the label on the second bag says "black-black" and the label on the third bag says "white-white". You are told that all three labels are on the wrong bags.

What is the minimum number of marbles you will need to draw from the bags in order to figure out the right positions for all three labels?

#89 syao

syao

    Administration Team

  • Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

One marble is enough, as long as you draw it from the BW bag. Then, following the "all three bags labeled wrong" constraint, you can infer all three labels.
If the marble you draw is white, then the BW bag contains WW marbles, BB contains BW, WW contains BB.
If it was black, then BW contains BB, WW contains BW, BB contains WW.


I do not have a teaser to post. Anyone is free to take over, if my answer is correct.

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.


#90 tarunium

tarunium

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

View Postsyao, on 07 April 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

One marble is enough, as long as you draw it from the BW bag. Then, following the "all three bags labeled wrong" constraint, you can infer all three labels.
If the marble you draw is white, then the BW bag contains WW marbles, BB contains BW, WW contains BB.
If it was black, then BW contains BB, WW contains BW, BB contains WW.

That's right. Nicely done.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users