Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

One of the best games ever.
Please port it, I love to play it!

Game Description:
Rage is awesome.The user plays as a survivor of the 2029 Apophis asteroid impact who has just awoken from an Ark (a world-wide movement which took scientists and other significant people, and froze them underground in cryo-pods so they could rebuild Earth). Soon, the player comes to realize that his Ark has malfunctioned and that he is the only survivor. Players have the ability to augment their cars with various items and upgrades they can gain by completing races, but the game is not specifically a racing title; the gameplay consists of a mix of mainly first person shooter elements as well as driving elements. In fact, racing is entirely optional within the game, with the exception of some early objectives that explicitly require the character to win a few races to progress the main storyline.

Rage also features some role-playing game (RPG) elements, including an inventory system, looting system, and different types of ammo. Players have the option to customize their weapons.[12] There are also side missions and a number of other minor exploratory elements. At E3, Tim Willits stated that the game's core is a first person shooter with car-combat added in-that is, the racing is not the sole and central focal point. The world is populated by the human survivors of the impact who were preserved from the asteroid by being buried in the Arks. The world is also populated by mutants, who serve as the player's main enemies at least for the first half of the game, as a major change takes place at the midway point of the game.

AppDB Link:
http://appdb.winehq.... ... &iId=24511

AppDB Rating:
Silver

Wikipedia or Review:
http://en.wikipedia....age_(video_game)
http://xbox360.ign.c...926/926417.html

#2 MrKlaus

MrKlaus

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4760
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yes, that you'll be very nice ! and i heard there's some unknow issue about a mac native version... looks like it never gonna be finish !

#3 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

AppDB says it's Gold/Silver standard so it shouldn't take as long as Deus Ex: HR is, but still, give people time.

I'm sure someone is working on it, and if not, I will be when it finishes downloading.

and i heard there's some unknow issue about a mac native version
I doubt there will ever be a mac native version. The market isn't big enough for developers to care. Either that or we're not shouting loud enough for them to hear..
For now, I'm happy with native Indie games and ported titles.
I've found some ports even work better than native versions, as they have the same framerate and quality, and I don't have to wait for the versions to catch up to the windows ones.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                               2 x 4-core 2.26GHz w/ 8 virtual cores | Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz
                                                              512mb nVidia GeForce 120 | 256mb nVidia GeForce 320M
                                                                                   8 x 2 GB RAM | 2 x 2GB RAM
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#4 MrKlaus

MrKlaus

Novice Member

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4760
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

[quote="Frenchfry"
[quote]and i heard there's some unknow issue about a mac native version[/quote]
I doubt there will ever be a mac native version. The market isn't big enough for developers to care. Either that or we're not shouting loud enough for them to hear..
For now, I'm happy with native Indie games and ported titles.
I've found some ports even work better than native versions, as they have the same framerate and quality, and I don't have to wait for the versions to catch up to the windows ones.[/quote]

[url=http://www.macgeneration.com/news/voir/165011/jeux-rage-a-une-date-de-sortie]http://www.macgeneration.com/news/voir/ ... -de-sortie[/url]

here they speak about a mac version. as you say, some ported version work much more fine. but since i've read the native one from rage is not sure to be release anymore, i was thinking that porting could be a good solution.
so i'll just wait if someone port it, no hurry (seems a ok game, not awesome, a lot of bad reviews from players...)

#5 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Players will always complain about any game that is released, it's not going to stop.
I had fun playing the first hour or so, and I enjoyed the game thoroughly.

If they release expansion packs for more gun/gun modifications, it would be my favourite release this quarter (only because Battlefield 3 isn't released yet) but even without the added stuff, it is a very fun game.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#6 tcrown

tcrown

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationFrozen North
  • Graphics Card:INTEL IRIS 5100
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:FPS,ARPG

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

There's a major issue with wine for Mac that makes Rage unable to launch currently. Runs perfect in Linux however. Maybe in the next wine release there will be a fix for the Mac crash or perhaps someone will get it going in Cider.

I will not be buying anything related to id/bethesda, iOS also, because of they're cancelling the Mac version of Rage. I've spoken to John numerous times through email and since they were bought by bethesda his attitude and that of the rest of id management has changed a lot from their independent days.

The Mac market is huge, think about 4 million Macs sold each quarter for the last 5 years, thats 90 million Macs plus all the Macs in the market prior. As a developer you would have to be a complete retard to not target those numbers. Generally people that buy Macs have money and buy soft wear.
13" Retina Macbook Pro | 2.8GHz Intel i7 | 256GB SSD | 16GB DDR3 | INTEL IRIS 5100 1.5GBDDR3

#7 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Bethesda has become a company like EA.
They do not make much games anymore and rather publish other studios work.
They even let Obsidian make Fallout New Vegas (which imho was a much better product than FO3 that bethesda made, FO3 was great tho).

Bethesda used to be a strong name in the gaming community, but after hitting the market with mediocre over hyped games like Brink, Hunted:The Demon's Forge and the game that score 1.5/10 on IGN: Rogue Warrior!
From IGN review:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/105/1052635p1.html
Whatever you do, do not buy this game, even if you happen to have the spare cash lying around. The gameplay is poorly done, the visuals are substandard and the profanity is laughable. The only reason anyone would ever want this title is for achievement/trophy farming, but even then you should rent it or look for a bargain basement sale. Even then, it’s hard to justify polluting your game account with this detritus. I will say it again: do not buy this game.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#8 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

The Mac market is huge, think about 4 million Macs sold each quarter for the last 5 years, thats 90 million Macs plus all the Macs in the market prior
How many of those people are gamers, and how many of those computers (especially past ones) are capable of playing the new games?
I know there is a lot of people, but apparently not enough for large companies to bother with us.
All I'm saying is we need to get the message to them that there is enough people here wanting to play games that they will make a profit..
I think the biggest hurdle will be getting past Apple- They will want to put the games on the AppStore and charge 5 bucks more than Steam for each game.
If larger companies made games for Mac and sold them on Steam, I would be buying every single thing I thought looked good, regardless of how bad the graphics or gameplay was.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#9 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

It's not like id software has never heard of the mac or shipped games for the mac before. They have a long history of mac games both ones that they themselves released or farmed out to porting companies like Aspyr. They also used to demo their games at macworld sometimes.... when Rage was first announced it was even demoed on the Mac at macworld. With Quake 3 they even released the test demo on the Mac first. This was at a time when the mac market was even smaller than it is today.

It's mainly since they got bought out by bethesda that id tech games haven't come out in a timely manner or at all for the Mac. In the meantime other studios like Valve and Ubisoft have either started going simultaneous releases or native ports not too long after.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#10 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Right, I'm not arguing that there is a market, but if it were known to be a worthwhile and profitable market, the company would have no problems remaking the small portion of the code that doesn't agree with mac.

If they can't be bothered putting some effort into making it for mac, they must not see it as profitable, or maybe it's just too much hassle.

When I said 'larger companies' I specified larger companies, because back when id was independent, they did release for mac, as do many other indie developers, and even some bigger ones, but not enough of them.
But once snatched up by Bethesda, as was said, they stopped. Even if it was planned to be available for mac, it wont pan out. id probably wanted it on mac, and then Bethesda led them away.

Valve and Ubisoft must have seen the light. Hopefully soon, so will others.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#11 tcrown

tcrown

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationFrozen North
  • Graphics Card:INTEL IRIS 5100
  • I like to play:FPS,ARPG

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

In Bethesda/id's case it comes down to Bethesda not wanting to support Mac for whatever misguided reasons, and id has little say in the matter now that Bethesda is calling the shots. Carmack has programmed Rage in such a way that it runs perfectly on most Linux builds in Wine but not on OS X in Wine.

100,000,000+ Macs in the market is not a small market by any means, if even 10% of those are gamers thats big additional profit coupled with PC/Console/iOS sales. At the end of the day it comes down to poor management and short cited uninformed choices. The App store and Mac app store have proven that there is a huge market for game sales on the Mac/iOS and willing purchasers.

The Mac app store is far more beneficial to developers than retail or Steam in most cases, as Steam requires a Mac/PC version and distribution rights do not allow that all the time. The Mac App store app is native on all Mac's sold and is 1 click purchase.

I've made this argument to John/Bethesda and many other publishers and developers and few have responded in a positive way. Nitro Games, who made Pirates of Black Rock for PC are going to apparently come out with an iPad release which is commendable and forward thinking on their part and is a great looking game on the PC.

Now that UDK  3 can compile for Mac OS X it would be nice to see Rock Steady release Batman Arkham City for Mac but I have heard nothing from them or Warner Interactive regarding that.
13" Retina Macbook Pro | 2.8GHz Intel i7 | 256GB SSD | 16GB DDR3 | INTEL IRIS 5100 1.5GBDDR3

#12 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

I wouldn't say he deliberately coded it to run well in WINE but not in OS X WINE.. he wasn't even aware it ran in WINE at all. In a recent tweet he talked about a possibility for making a Direct3D backend for it for the PC and someone told him he hopes he'll keep the OpenGL renderer as well since it works so well in WINE and he said "It runs in WINE? That's great!" indicating he wasn't aware it could. That's just the way the dice happened to land. Also Linux tends to have newer drivers.

As far as Batman is concerned by the way the only release we have to look forward in the near term is Arkham Asylum becuase Feral decided to roll up their sleeves and do a native port of it. Speaking of which the release date for it has slipped once again to the 27th.

I kind of hoped their delay of City for the PC was so they could get it up to speed with the latest UE3 so they can cross compile it for Mac but I kind of doubt it... and we'll probably need a company like Feral to port it again to the Mac.

Many existing UE3 projects would have to be upgraded to the latest UE3 to be able to compile them for Mac too it kind of seems. We're just going to have to see if\when any companies bite the bait and start using the mac cross compiling function with the UE3\UDK.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#13 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

I am about to install Linux and Windows on a TB drive each on my Mac Pro, so I guess running Linux for games that need it will be alright. One would say 'why not just run it on windows'. I only want to use that when necessary for my courses..

I really hope the bigger developers get a smack across the head and realise Mac is worthwhile.
I just thought Steam would be a better service to release on as it wouldn't have to be pre-approved by Apple, and would be easier as more involved gamers would pay attention to Steam more than the Mac App Store. But if you say otherwise, I'll agree with you. You're obviously much more experienced with this kind of stuff.
Obviously if Mac does start supporting games, the runs of advertising would alert enough gamers to start a small war, the way Apple does it...
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#14 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

I would say very few if any games absolutely need linux. Rage being an exception if the reason why it's not running in OS X WINE is because of current graphics drivers or incompatibilities with current software. Which like I said wasn't even a deliberate design decision by John Carmack. But if you are going to install it (Linux) anyway for school I guess it doesn't hurt. More power to you. Although I have found the compatibility when it comes to wine tends to be very similar between the two. I mean I have encountered some graphics bugs with some games that are present even if you run them in Linux WINE... and generally speaking the ratings can give you more or less a good idea if a game will work on either.

Also, Mac actually does support games... there are actually more native AAA games per year on Mac than on Linux to be frank. Pretty much all the porting houses who port AAA games to Linux have all went out of business. Meanwhile.. companies like Feral have increased revenue due to digital distribution such as the Mac App Store and actually are ramping up production. Their upcoming radar has more games on it now (including Deus Ex HR). Linux is a virtual ghetto when it comes to official AAA support compared to Mac. Some porting houses have even begun to port games to the Mac with Steamplay support such as Aspyr with DNF and Civ V. So if you own it on the PC on Steam with those games you also own it on the Mac.

That's even before you consider first party ports (such as Valve or Ubi) which on Linux are pretty much only coming from indie developers who most of the time also bring those games to the Mac. The only personal computer OS that can beat OS X when it comes to official games support is Windows. I'm reminded of those people who say there's literally no games on Mac. Well, there are games.. just not as many as on Windows.

Mac also has some advantages even for WINE like being able to make self contained .app bundles of WINE making a form of sandbox for each game allowing you to run whatever version of WINE is best for a particular game without affecting the others.

So it's not like it's all bad on Mac and that Linux is better in every way. Again the only OS that can beat OS X when it comes to games support is Windows.
--Kama

#15 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

I didn't mean Linux for all games, that would be a pain to change partitions so often.
I plan to use OS X for gaming most of the time, and if a game is unportable or taking forever due to some difficulties, like DE:HR, I will use Windows for it. Linux was more because I wanted Linux. I always liked it, maybe not as much as OS X, but I like having it there if I ever need it or want to fiddle with it. The fact that one or two games may run better on it is just a bonus.

Before this thread goes any further off track, if it's just some driver incompatibilities, it shouldn't be terribly long before a port, or even a native version of RAGE is released for OS X. Either way the game is worth the wait. I played a little of it on XBOX and even on console it looked great and was really fun to play.
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#16 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

To be honest even though it's called the porting team here I don't really consider the work done here to be ports per say... more like wrapped copies. To be honest I think it's a little egotistical to suggest otherwise as most of the work is done by either WINEHQ or Transgaming making WINE engines that happen to work well with games that we can tinker with and make a wrapped copy. Personally speaking I have literally no programming skills yet I have wrapped a more than a couple of dozen games myself for personal use.

The work Feral, Aspyr, Ubisoft and Valve do where they get down to the nitty gritty of converting the games libraries and such to native versions so no actual windows support files are being used are the true ports. So for me what they do are the true ports and stuff that is done like here is the last resort if a port isn't available. Although many times for example if a game uses Direct3D on Windows literally no porting studio rewrites it from scratch to work on OpenGL rather they use compatibility libraries for that particular part. Name any company who has released a game ported from Windows to the Mac and pretty much I can pretty much guarantee that they did that. This is true of Left 4 Dead and Portal 2, etc. and will be true of Deus Ex Human Revolution when Feral releases it for the Mac early next year.

Anyway, getting back to the original subject. Who knows if Rage will ever come officially for the Mac and if it does it'd most likely be a native port and at this point I think it probably will come from a porting studio like Aspyr and natively especially since they are the ones who have been handling id games for over half a decade if not more. But if not I'm sure we may wake up one day to find WINE or an equivalent like Cider is suddenly able to run it and there'll be wrappers you can plop your install folder into and run it on the Mac that way.. sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

I haven't tried it yet personally though as I don't even have the game yet and I'm waiting for it to download.
--Kama

#17 mata4pemp

mata4pemp

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Frenchfry, you mentioned that Deus Ex Human Revolution was ported on the site, where? Cause thats a really good game too.

Yeah Im also irritated that Bethesda keeps releasing games with Windows live..

#18 Frenchfry

Frenchfry

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

and if a game is unportable or taking forever due to some difficulties, like DE:HR
Deus Ex: HR doesn't like playing nicely with Wine.
It's not been ported yet, I don't believe. The best rating it got on AppDB was Bronze, and while that's playable, it's not really enjoyable.
http://appdb.winehq....ation&iId=13150
Posted Image

Mac Pro | Macbook Pro
                                                                                     4 x 1TB HDD | 250GB HDD

#19 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Feral is going to release their native port of Deus Ex Human Revolution in a couple of months anyway and it'll have better sound support including multichannel true positional surround sound if you have that setup on your Mac (more than 2 channels in audio midi setup).

Their Borderlands and Batman Arkham Asylum ports have that support.. no WINE or Cider port can have that sort of thing because their sound subsystems don't support true multichannel audio especially not on Mac and will not any time soon.. just two channel stereo sound. WINE is even overhauling their audio to support that kind of basic sound properly much less multichannel surround sound.

A couple of games support encoding to a Dolby Pro Logic II specific mode which works in a wrapper but those are few and far in between. Most of the games people care about like any UE3 game or RAGE does not support that for the most part.

So their upcoming ports like Deus Ex HR and the more near term Bioshock 2 will have that kind of sound support. Although I realize most people around here don't have surround sound setups like I do so they don't care so much about sound support as I do.

Also Feral removes stuff like GFWL properly and fully. They don't just slap a crack on there and call it a day.

Also if you play games with gamepads which for me Batman Arkham Asylum is one of those games suited for one they support force feedback rumble on that particular game which a wrapped port would not have supported. There are advantages to truly native ports believe it or not. Technical and also being officially supported.

BTW, Personally speaking I've had no luck with RAGE in Cider either. I just did a couple of playthroughs on my PC hooked up to an HDTV however.

There's been some hint lately that Aspyr might be porting RAGE to the Mac soon. John Carmack said it wouldn't be too hard to get id tech 5 up and running natively on the Mac again but they don't have the resources for it especially since the team is moving on to Doom 4 right after completion of RAGE. He seemed to imply they may need help from a porting studio and Aspyr said they are going to announce a big game from a well know developer soon and that may be RAGE.
--Kama

#20 mata4pemp

mata4pemp

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

Speaking of Bethesda, Have you tried porting Brink?  Sorry off topic here,I have tried using Wineskin WS8Wine 1.3.30 and no luck. Any help?

#21 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

mata4pemp said:

Speaking of Bethesda, Have you tried porting Brink?  Sorry off topic here,I have tried using Wineskin WS8Wine 1.3.30 and no luck. Any help?
This might help: http://appdb.winehq.... ... &iId=23458

Feel free to make a new requests or help topic for Brink, if you want

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

#22 wMin17

wMin17

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

EPIC FAIL.  There is now a native mac port......

#23 playn

playn

Just Playin'

• Donators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

Yep RAGE®, filled by Feral

Posted Image

'Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?'

– Steve Jobs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users