• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Got a (leaked >.>) 10.8 image and installed in a Parallels VM to test it. and I'm not under developer NDA, not being enrolled in the Mac Developer program, heh.
I'm doing a side-by-side comparison between 10.7 and 10.8.

Not many differences in the system prefs so far.  I can't find any reference to the "slide left to show notification center", unless I missed it.
The only thing completely redesigned is the Accessibility prefs:
Posted Image

By checking some of the apps, it looks like they finally decided to stop the "dumbification" of their apps.  I hope.

Launchpad has now (finally...) a search bar on top.  You can start typing and it'll filter the apps icons.  This means goodbye to QuickSilver for me (I mostly use it as an app launcher), most likely, and I'm happy about that.
And no mouse being forced to use a mouse in Launchpad.  I hated that.
Posted Image

Address book is now finally back to three panes
Posted Image

Calendar has again a calendars (and mini-month view) pane
Posted Image

App Store no longer has those ugly vertically centered traffic light buttons.  They're now where they ought to be (top: ML; bottom: Lion)
Posted Image

Not sure if this one was already fixed in Lion, since I had used a Defaults write command to "fix" it myself when we got the iTunes 10.4 (was it that one) iTunes update.  I'm talking about the vertical traffic light buttons in iTunes.  They're now horizontal and good looking.
Posted Image

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#32 EdwardR

EdwardR

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRiga, Latvia
  • Graphics Card:NVidia GeForce 320M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Action... Adventure... Pretty much most of them! :)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Tried Wineskin and Cider wrappers?

#33 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostHeadrush69, on 18 February 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

You just complained about needed to download ~4GB again for another update but than you saying your getting the preview.

If people are looking for massive UI changes, don't bother getting this preview. Although Apple lists that there will be over 100+ new features (not 3 to 6), you aren't going to notice much in this current release.
Other than the few features making headlines, (Messages, Notification Centre, Safari, etc) you won't see much.

100+ features are bogus ... There are just minor changes to existing concepts and features
There is only 3-6 new features noticeable.

Also I complained about download the operating system 3 times.  But I only have to download the dev preview once
--
HM

#34 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
Author

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think i found out a weakness for sneaking past the Gatekeeper without actually having to look at the OS itself.
With my experiments beginning last year for CXEx Central, i found a way go get around the 'you downloaded this app from xyz - you sure you want to open it?'
This is the same system that Apple uses now in ML.

You see, when you download a file from the network/internet, it gets tagged via a ' ! ' on the file system. the ' ! ' means that this is a potentially dangerous file.
So when it's a zip file or dmg file, it has that ! for example. And when these archives get expanded, the file system also tags the resulting apps inside also with the  !

This carries over for all expansion archives but one: 7zip
If i .tar the app and compress it via 7 zip, the .7zip expanded tar file wont get a ! via the file system tagging. Same for dmg files compressed with 7zip then.
I currently have this coded into CXEx Central for compressing the old CXEx Wrappers. the result is that the resulting CXEx Wrappers did never trigger the 'Gatekeeper' warning on Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, and now Mountain Lion.
So we can compress our Wrappers this way that it won't trigger the Gatekeeper warning on the end user's macs. (of course the whole 7zip file will trigger the Warning in the beginning, but the resulting app from the Archive will never trigger it)

Oh, and, if this works, then there is no list of 'approved' apps on each mac.
Unsigned apps already on the drive should not throw up the Gatekeeper warning, only when they are downloaded from the network/internet.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#35 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 18 February 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Also I complained about download the operating system 3 times.  But I only have to download the dev preview once
Well, no need to download the OS 3 times.  For reference - assuming it'll still work like Lion - when you download it, you'll get an "Install OS X < version here >.app" app bundle in your /Applications directory.  Before installing it, ctrl-click on it, and choose "Compress < filename >".  Move the zipped file to another computer or into your external drive, or just wherever you like.  Extract it into another Mac's Applications folder and install.  Rinse and repeat as many times as you need.  (I did this with Lion, downloaded once and installed on all 5 Macs in my household, since the EULA allows that.)

View Postdevilhunter, on 18 February 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I think i found out a weakness for sneaking past the Gatekeeper without actually having to look at the OS itself.
Interesting approach.  It should indeed work, since it does use the Download Quarantine function that's built into the OS since Leopard to check whether an app has still to be validated.  And once a file is un-quarantined, it'll never be checked again.

On a side note, it appears to me that on a default installation of the DP1, Gatekeeper is disabled, allowing any apps to run, until you go to the System Prefs and choose to enable it. But I suppose that's gonna change later on.

Posted Image

#36 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
Author

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Madden 2005 was great. ;)
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#37 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Posthmtinc, on 18 February 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

100+ features are bogus ... There are just minor changes to existing concepts and features
There is only 3-6 new features noticeable.
Well I'm running it and I see more than 6 already.

For starters, this is a first preview, but you've apparently made your mind up already.
It's real simple, don't upgrade than. It's not like SL and Lion will stop working.

I would agree that the days of seeing new radically fresh or different UI changes each "major" release are gone, but I think this is a good thing.
I want to see OS X refined in the areas that need it, and previously implemented changes that don't work corrected.

Hell, if all they did was fix, rewrite or replace iTunes and slap 10.9 on it, I buy it just for that. :)
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#38 waves

waves

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
Author

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah but that is terrible thinking. It is like Corprate Comnander do as little as possible release a new update and have people pay to upgrade. It is like Capcom releasing Marvel vs Capcom with promised things and instead of releasing DLC or in Apple's case a .x upgrade you have to buy a whole new OS or with Capcom just pay 60 dollars to buy Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom.

In my case Lion only compelling thing is iCloud. So pay 30 buck to upgrade for something that is free upgrade from ios 4 to 5. No thanks.

With Mountain Lion the only interesting thing to me is iMessage but I can not see me using that much anyway.

The other interesting thing is AirPlay. Which I would use but it probably will not AirPlay as much as I can with modified iPod to apple tv anyway. So why should pay to update for 2 features?

Also with these few things  80 percent of my ports break in Lion and I am sure 100 in mountain lion.

Plus how much does it cost 30 dollars for Lion people and 60 for snow Leo and 90 for Leo people? Because if it cost 30 for anyone what was the point of buying Lion? 30 dollar developers preview?
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#39 waves

waves

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
Author

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

On another note - I have never experienced the icon blur bug in snow Leo or I would not use it either and would have installed Leopard again.  And most icons I have are custom. Though I know it a widely known issue.

My comments regarding Marel Capcom is the same as Madden releasing the same game every year. I went from 2001 to 2005 and noticed improvements. But I have not noticed any worthwhile improvents since thus I do not buy it anymore.

I do not play FPS games but could see Call of Duty just being the same stupid crap over and over again.

Paying just to have an updated iTunes will be like Mac OS 10.9. Pay 30 dollars for a new OS with updated iTunes which we use to release for free via system updater! No longer! App store only! For OS 10.9 users only! And with an iMac (which the change the name to like InotaMac) that is less than a year old - sorry you 2009 buyers buy a new computer!

Headrush69 and people willing to pay 30 dollars for 1 new feature or 6 like you mention instead of 3 really need to expect you dollar to go further! It is just a huge cash grab! Even if Mountain Lion is free fix your OS release to have stable like Leopard or Snow Leopard rather then just release a new update every year to fix problems of the old OS and create new ones in the process.
Posted Image

#40 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postwaves, on 19 February 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Headrush69 and people willing to pay 30 dollars for 1 new feature or 6 like you mention instead of 3 really need to expect you dollar to go further! It is just a huge cash grab! Even if Mountain Lion is free fix your OS release to have stable like Leopard or Snow Leopard rather then just release a new update every year to fix problems of the old OS and create new ones in the process.
Obviously you're taking my comment 100% literal and I never said I was willing to buy ML for a few new features. (other than iTunes)

My hatred for iTunes runs deep and since it is the centre of everything now, a redesigned iTunes would be a substantial feature.
Whether it was redone by Apple, or a 3rd party replacement that provided all the needed functionality I would pay $29.00

In general, though I'm not disagreeing with you but I still think it's too early to discount the update just because as some are complaining "it doesn't have enough whiz bang UI changes."

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#41 waves

waves

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
Author

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

I am sorry if the comes off as negative towards you. Certainly just saying it seems like a wade of money. I did not know how to say it without it sounding like I was being an ass to you certainly
Was not the intention.

I agree iTunes needs an overhaul and has needed one the last 10 years or whatever. It just should not be you need to pay 30 dollars to have a new iTunes on lolcat 10.9 :) and that you can not get it it on any other OS!
Posted Image

#42 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

View Postwaves, on 19 February 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

I agree iTunes needs an overhaul and has needed one the last 10 years or whatever. It just should not be you need to pay 30 dollars to have a new iTunes on lolcat 10.9 :) and that you can not get it it on any other OS!
Although I don't alway agree with some of Apple's decisions, I can at least understand the reasoning or purpose behind them.
Especially when it comes to debugging issues, I understand the complexity of dealing with people who have apparently identical machines but have dramatically different results.

What I don't understand is the totally disregard to iTunes which centers their media empire.
How can you sell 27" iMacs with screen sizes 2560 x 1440 but you restrict some areas to about 640x480?
If iTunes is suppose to be the hub for media, how can you have such limited sorting and organizing options.?

I better stop or I'll keep going all night. :)

#43 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostHeadrush69, on 19 February 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Well I'm running it and I see more than 6 already.

For starters, this is a first preview, but you've apparently made your mind up already.
It's real simple, don't upgrade than. It's not like SL and Lion will stop working.

I would agree that the days of seeing new radically fresh or different UI changes each "major" release are gone, but I think this is a good thing.
I want to see OS X refined in the areas that need it, and previously implemented changes that don't work corrected.

Hell, if all they did was fix, rewrite or replace iTunes and slap 10.9 on it, I buy it just for that. :)

Well i would probably buy this operating system .. just installed the dev preview .. its quite interesting.

But just sometimes i questions apples Ideas and releases .

Being a Apple Dev Has it perks
--
HM

#44 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

I don't have it on two machines (so can't test), but I've read that Screen Sharing now supports drag and drop copying.

Not like Apple to add a feature from the paid Apple Remote Desktop software. Hmm.

#45 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostHeadrush69, on 20 February 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

I don't have it on two machines (so can't test), but I've read that Screen Sharing now supports drag and drop copying.

Not like Apple to add a feature from the paid Apple Remote Desktop software. Hmm.

Yep, this seems to be true:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postsyao, on 20 February 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Yep, this seems to be true:
Thanks for testing.

#47 waves

waves

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
Author

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Speaking off iTunes issues headrush69 - I decided to to get iTunes match - there is a bug if you create a playlist in either airplane mode or off wifi (and cell) your playlist is duplicated several 1000 times empty the next time you are in wifi range. Mine created 16 328 empty duplicate playlists..... on both my Macintosh and iPod. It is a known issue (well not acknowledged by apple mind you)

I am certainly not updating to this stupid montain lion thing.
Posted Image

#48 dansmultimedia

dansmultimedia

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:A good one
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:games

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

From all of this talk i don't know if ill even get it. Don't feel like taking the time to do all of that stuff

#49 mostwanted

mostwanted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Strategy, RPG, FPS

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Wow a new OS already, just when I'm getting use to OSX. Just got my Mac recently, I am a hardcore Windows user and it was quite difficult at the start learning about how to use OSX, but I'm getting the hang of things day by day, some things are just annoying to deal with on OSX but I think I just haven't found a solution yet. Its quite the advance OS as they say, anyways got a bit carried away ^_^ I'm loving the new Mountain Lion OS, I'm quite surprised this wasn't already on OSX, pretty much it looks like they are brining the iOS to OSX to put in simply.

#50 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

DP3 brings some good news about Gatekeeper:

Right-clicking and choosing Open gives a different pop up that allows you to make an exception.
Posted Image

source: http://forums.macrum...7&postcount=480

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users