• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

Wineskin 2.5.5 Beta 1

#2 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

w00t B)

#3 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GT750M 2GB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, trying it right now!

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#4 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Seems Decorate Window is broken if "Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for window decoration" is enabled

OS X 10.7.3

Wineskin 2.5.5 beta 1

#5 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Graphics Card:MacBook Pro 11,3
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:la rockitar
Author

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Tested this with Quake HD compared to Cider / Wineskin 2.5.4 performance.

I installed the latest XQuartz (02/12) - http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

Created the wrapper with --without-xinput2 1.5.1 build and installed. This game is actually a very high demanding game graphically. I believe Quake was about 100MB in size, this version is 2.2GB in size. It also seems that the graphics cannot be adjusted. Whether this is built into the game or due to a restriction of Wine I am unaware. Other options are useable so I suspect the former of the two.

this is very minimal testing....

so here we go...wineskin 2.5.4....utter crap....extremely choppy intro and .5 fps game play...totally unplayable on the ATI X1600...try multiple settings and configurations. Nothing would work.

Cider 6635
Good performance....intro seemed to be playing too fast in certain instances. Got into the game and things seemed very good. Crashed with unraised exception while loading after choosing difficulty level tunnel.

Tried a couple other techniques but I really do not know how to port using Cider.

Now Wineskin 2.5.5Beta

Awesome!!!!! All I can say is awesome. The graphics actually looked better with 2.5.5Beta than they do in Cider which is a devastating blow to Cider! The intro was still a bit choppy but that is tested without and configuration changes or adding any type of reg entry. In game still getting crappy frame rates but that's what you get for having a 6 year old rig. I think it's fixable though....the winelog is absolutely incredible....so much useful information. I need to learn more about GL Extensions.

All I can say is I'm stoked that I caught this early. Really looking forward to testing all I can with this!!!!

Amazing Work as always doh123! Frontpage news article coming up!

#6 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

You're not going to believe this but I'm thrilled to report this version of wineskin has enabled me to run FEAR2 with the one setting that caused crashes for me before without crashing unless set to medium. That's right.. I can now play FEAR2 with Texture Detail set to maximum! I'm so thrilled to report this! And here I thought it was because I "only" had 512MB of VRAM that it was crashing before with texture detail set to maximum. I played all the most problematic parts tonight without a single crash... from the sniper alley that ends in the ruined theater until the very end. I'm going to do another playthrough starting at the beginning but I have a feeling if it can make it through the entire last quarter of the game without a single CTD it can do the first part of the game as well.

I couldn't believe it myself even experiencing it.. I was like... man... this has gotta crash any second now because this texture setting is the problematic one in this game... it's going to crash I KNOW IT! But lo and behold it didn't.. and I completed the game!

On the other hand I'm getting random crashes launching the original FEAR but once it is launched the game it's rock solid. The strange thing is it's not reproducible and doesn't happen when I'm running it in testing mode.

BTW, Danko you shouldn't need any WINE to play Quake in HD... Darkplaces is native to the Mac and you can run all the HD packs with normal mapping, quake reforged, realtime dlights etc. in it.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#7 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

^^ That is great news!

as well...I just disabled the GL Extension in Quake HD and the game plays and looks better than in Cider!!

#8 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

What's funny is it adds more fear\anxiety ension to the game running it that way thinking at any time it may crash.... lol Brings new meaning to FEAR. But yeah.. again it seems to be remedied now.. AWESOME! But now it means at least for people with specs as good as mine or better the instructions from before are now obsolete as there really isn't any settings you need to turn down at any point to get it stable. Not even the one that gave me trouble unless I put it on medium... the texture detail setting.

I'm now playing FEAR2 at 1600x900 at all times with most things set to high or maximum... auto detect settings with a couple of things bumped to max basically. Right now I have it running in crossover games engine 1.3.0 but I haven't tested it in other engines yet. Previously higher engines would cause the weapons in any lithtech game to look like glass but who knows.. this new mesa may fix that as well. Although it's also a problem in Linux I've seen.

Ooh, I hope I don't jynx myself reporting this! ;) It's almost too good to be true!
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostPommeGolden, on 12 April 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Seems Decorate Window is broken if "Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for window decoration" is enabled
my bad.. I forgot quartz-wm newest build has a dylib now and I forgot to put it in the wrapper... hard to keep track of everything sometimes when there's hundreds of them.  I'll get that added for the next beta.

Everything else people are reporting sounds good... I've worked hard getting things running right, and killing off 10.5 support helped a ton in that.... it mainly got around Mesa issues so I was able to stop using such an old build of Mesa, which should help OpenGL performance and stability.

EDIT:
Beta2 is fixed with the quartz-wm issue.

#10 rampancy

rampancy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenial.
  • Graphics Card:Intel GMA 950 (MacBook), Nvidia GeForce 320M (MacBook Air)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPGs, TBS, RTS, Adventure Games, Classic and Indie/Retro Games

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

View Postdoh123, on 12 April 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

Thanks again for your incredible efforts. I do wonder though - what's the advantage of using Xquartz instead of the built-in X11? And why not use the latest updated app from the XQuartz Project?

#11 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

I upgraded The Witcher and it seems slightly better but it still has a problem. After a while I get black screens during dialog tree screens and some textures stop drawing and shortly after... maybe 5-10 minutes later the wrapper closes.
--Kama

#12 PommeGolden

PommeGolden

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postdoh123, on 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

my bad.. I forgot quartz-wm newest build has a dylib now and I forgot to put it in the wrapper... hard to keep track of everything sometimes when there's hundreds of them.  I'll get that added for the next beta.

Everything else people are reporting sounds good... I've worked hard getting things running right, and killing off 10.5 support helped a ton in that.... it mainly got around Mesa issues so I was able to stop using such an old build of Mesa, which should help OpenGL performance and stability.

EDIT:
Beta2 is fixed with the quartz-wm issue.

Confirming fixed in beta 2 thanks ~!! :lol:

#13 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

@ smoketetsu...I had no idea there was a native client for darkplaces....I often stumble upon files and download them just to give it a shot in Wineskin. Regardless though with GL extensions disabled the game runs as if it were native, although I've only tested it briefly.

#14 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

View Postrampancy, on 12 April 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Thanks again for your incredible efforts. I do wonder though - what's the advantage of using Xquartz instead of the built-in X11? And why not use the latest updated app from the XQuartz Project?
It was requested... at this second there is probably no benefit, but sometimes running it through a standard installed X11 and not the built in one can beneficial... for testing, or just if there is a bug in WineskinX11 thats been fixed in XQuartz... etc...
I don't understand your last question though... thats what it tries to use if you select that option.. your XQuartz install.  That app runs NOTHING like WineskinX11 and this wrapper though, its not like you can just take it and use it for a wrapper as is.

View Postsmoketetsu, on 12 April 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

I upgraded The Witcher and it seems slightly better but it still has a problem. After a while I get black screens during dialog tree screens and some textures stop drawing and shortly after... maybe 5-10 minutes later the wrapper closes.
No idea on The Witcher... I didn't even know they were using Wineskin on it until everyone else did.

#15 dankoB

dankoB

Legendary Member

• Super Moderators
  • 3011 posts
    Core i7 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    2GB GDDR5 vRAM
Author

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

I just tested FEAR and and I'm not having the issue smoketetsu is having at all.

I also tested Fallout 3 and there seems to be an incredible improvement on that game as well...this really is great work. Much better detail....especially during the evening hours in game play.

#16 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

What I'm getting is a mixed bag. Some games show improvement at least minor performance improvements. Others don't and some even crash more now like Painkiller Overdose crashes with an out of memory error for the graphics. Although I'm going to try re-wrapping it and see if that helps. I noticed in the log file it uses D3D9_35 and I may try making a new wrapper with only that as an additional native DLL via winetricks to see if that helps. At times it's better to install as little native dll's as you can get away with.

I tried it and it seemed OK but it still crashed with:

fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8

spammed over and over in the log and then..

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000006 at address 0x10195744 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

That's with 1.5 with rawinput and noxinput... I tried running it with 1.5.1 but that still has problems on ATI with slowness.

*edit* I installed the other D3D9 dll's after 35 in my 1.5 wrapper and the game outlasted me.. I played through 3-5 different "worlds\themes" and finally I had to stop becuase I need a break badly...

Yeah, about FEAR1.. as I said it's not reproducable and I had a hard time getting it to happen with testing\debuggin on ironically. I have no idea what's going on there but it doesn't seem major as I merely launch it again and it doesn't do that and is rock solid otherwise.

Danko, about Darkplaces.. yeah it's been Mac native for a long time now and you don'tThe have to turn of GL extensions.. without them there's no point to darkplaces really as the main benefit is being able to run it with enhanced graphics, shaders, real time liting, etc. I got mine all loaded up with normal mapped high res textures, quake reforged skins, dynamic lights, HDR, Bloom, etc. etc. from quakeone forums... btw The daily builds here tend to include a Mac version and you can tell if they do because they approach 20MB when they do. http://icculus.org/t...rkplaces/files/

The native version used to have some performance problems when loaded up with all the whiz bang stuff but no longer. It's quite good.
--Kama

#17 zoroaster

zoroaster

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

I did not find the option to use XQuartz until now, but thanks for the beta build. It's great.

#18 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

For those wanting to build custom engines.. the EngineBase will be coming later... I'm trying to get a built in GCC 4.5 compiler working so that the XCode compilers aren't used... Xcode would still be needed for the SDKs, but there shouldn't be problems with gcc, clang, and llvm-gcc crap in xcode.  Plus Wine recommends using gcc 4.5 anyways.

#19 wMin17

wMin17

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

What is the changelog?

#20 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostwMin17, on 13 April 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

What is the changelog?
Just got a copy of the source code of this version
doesn't seem to be much of a big difference besides th exact there is no support 10.5
and xquatrz is added + wine command line
--
HM

#21 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostwMin17, on 13 April 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

What is the changelog?
not sure what more info you want thats not there.

View Posthmtinc, on 13 April 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

Just got a copy of the source code of this version
doesn't seem to be much of a big difference besides th exact there is no support 10.5
and xquatrz is added + wine command line
as far as Wineskin.app, and Wineskin.m, the change is very small, yes.

#22 thanoulas

thanoulas

Champion Member

• Database Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GT750M 2GB

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

All I can say is that the performance increase is more than evident.
I had no other instabilities in any game I tried, no extra crashes that I didn't know of, and all the previous mouse bugs are still there. But performance... man...

One thing though: I tried the XQuartz option with the latest xquartz development release, and when I cmd+q a game, the game quits, and XQuartz doesn't. I have a black screen (in fullscreen mode) that I can't get rid of, and leaves me with no other option than to power off my mac.

Posted Image
If I helped in any way, you can always click the Like button! | All my Ports | Download Barrel: The Wine Port Manager for Mac OS X

#23 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

I haven't had time to test the beta yet, but it seems promising!
If the performance in increased a lot I'm pretty sure I'm gonna update a lot of the more demanding ports I have!

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#24 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Author

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

I had a few minutes to spare, so here is what I noticed:
- Fullscreen Flickering still present
- Morrowind still has the same framerate drops, which can get annoying since the cursor speed is framerate dependent
- King's Bounty: the Legend has much improved performance, almost on par with Windows but combat is still not smooth. Might try making a new port from scratch later.
- relative mouse movement for games where you move tha camera by holding down a mouse button is still broken (tested in King's Bounty). Works fine with Wine 1.5.1NoXInput2 as expected.

All in all nothing seems to have been broken that wasn't already broken.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#25 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

FEAR3 is running really impressive in wineskin 2.5.5beta2 so far. I just got my boxed retail copy in today and wrapped it in WINE and did all the things recommended by winehq to get it running. So now I have all three FEAR games installed via WINE on my computer!

FEAR3 wont run in true fullscreen mode even in Linux. However with wineskin's fullscreen override I was able to do a reasonable facsimile of fullscreen. I just set a fullscreen override to the resolution I run the game at. The game still show up in a window but if I move the window so the titlebar goes above the screen it basically is in fullscreen with a small white border surrounding it.
--Kama

#26 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postthanoulas, on 13 April 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

All I can say is that the performance increase is more than evident.
I had no other instabilities in any game I tried, no extra crashes that I didn't know of, and all the previous mouse bugs are still there. But performance... man...
Yes... its set to give relative mouse input like Wine wants, but it doesn't actually work and Wine still gets absolute... s Xinput2 is still failing on some games.

View Postthanoulas, on 13 April 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

One thing though: I tried the XQuartz option with the latest xquartz development release, and when I cmd+q a game, the game quits, and XQuartz doesn't. I have a black screen (in fullscreen mode) that I can't get rid of, and leaves me with no other option than to power off my mac.
I don't have it close XQuartz, because its XQuartz... why would I tell it to close when you might have other things running in it?  What I do have in the code is to xrandr back to a rootless resolution so you don't get stuck in a fullscreen... maybe my code is faulty and you somehow got a bug where its not finding the right resolution?  You can get out of XQuartz stuck fullscreen modes by using Cmd+Opt+A or Cmd+Opt+Esc... or if you hit CMD+Q XQuartz hides the "are you sure" prompt.. .so you have to hit CMD+Q and then Enter so it answers yes and closes.

I'll take a look at the xrandr code to make sure it switches out of fullscreen modes right... I'll have to think it through some more, there may just be something wrong with my logic... or I just missed something.

View PostHiPhish, on 13 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

I had a few minutes to spare, so here is what I noticed:
- Fullscreen Flickering still present
I still have no idea what that is... or you are using "flickering" in a very different way than I would.

- Morrowind still has the same framerate drops, which can get annoying since the cursor speed is framerate dependent
- King's Bounty: the Legend has much improved performance, almost on par with Windows but combat is still not smooth. Might try making a new port from scratch later.
sounds more like Wine issues.  If I can get the new engine builder code done and working using gcc 4.5 and re-build all the Wine engines with it and 10.6+, hopefully things will get much better.

- relative mouse movement for games where you move tha camera by holding down a mouse button is still broken (tested in King's Bounty). Works fine with Wine 1.5.1NoXInput2 as expected.
yes... we need to get real relative mouse movement in XQuartz... the "patch" that was supposed to fix that didn't do anything.

#27 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hmmm.....Wineskin 2.5.5 - no Leopard support - I do not think I will be using this sorry.  Will stick with 2.5.3 or .4
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#28 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

View Postwaves, on 14 April 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

Hmmm.....Wineskin 2.5.5 - no Leopard support - I do not think I will be using this sorry.  Will stick with 2.5.3 or .4
have fun

#29 waves

waves

Tired, and starting to outlive my usefullness.

• Super Moderators
  • 1600 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDA
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

View Postdoh123, on 14 April 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

have fun

I am not trying to be rude - it is your app, do it with as you wish.

Just a choice, since I am running both Leopard and Snow Leopard on my computers.

I knew you were planing to do this anyway.

I just do not see the reason for dropping support for it. Maybe there is a good reason I am not sure.

However It is getting harder in harder to do something for all users, that is all.
Posted Image

How to get multiple file port games / apps runnning: http://portingteam.c...-combine-files/

#30 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

She said earlier in the threat and I quote:

View Postdoh123, on 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I've worked hard getting things running right, and killing off 10.5 support helped a ton in that.... it mainly got around Mesa issues so I was able to stop using such an old build of Mesa, which should help OpenGL performance and stability.

Seeing the results first hand that's good enough reason for me. I didn't think I'd ever get FEAR2 stable with maximum texture detail... at least not on this computer. I don't see what you where trying to accomplish with what you where saying anyway. It's not like she'd go back on it at the drop of a hat like that, sorry.
--Kama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users