149 replies to this topic

#61 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

I had avoided using winetricks because it was not completely clear to me what exactly going on with them... Now, I'm to the point where it is not like making things worse is a big deal.  Besides knowing that it is running on Linux using wine convinces me I've just got to make the correct configuration to make things work.

The release announcement for 1.20 rc1 is here: http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2-rc1. I did not see GTA or TEXP70 specifically mentioned.  It's not on MacPorts yet anyway, so it's not like I am going to install it today.

#62 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Graphics Card:2x GTX 780 Ti
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:anything

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, i looked up the WINE 1.2-rc1 a bit before, and posted a topic of it in the Winetricks section...

Just because GTA hasnt been fixed directly, doesnt mean some other of the 300 fixes wont help it along.
If my ports links are dead, Email me.   [ BoomBoxCreations (at) gmail . com ]

#63 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

So, now that the Wineskin app has the Wine 1.2 RC1 engine available to download, is there some straightforward method to update the existing GTA IV test wrapper?

Edit:  I must be doing something wrong.  I can not get the Wineskin app to recognize any wrappers in the wineskin folder.  Maybe this is a bug in Wineskin-1.1beta1?

#64 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

My Wineskin1.1b1 works fine reckognising the apps made on wineskin1.0

#65 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:41 AM

OK, so I just made a few new wrappers using Wineskin-1.1beta1 and Wine 1.2 RC1 engine.  I can install GTA IV where as before I could not.  However, I wind up in the same place as before with seeing some game sounds but seeing nothing.

I used dafootballer's check list http://forum.porting...php?f=15&t=4255
So what I think this means is that the "TEXP70" patch is included in Wine 1.2 (as I did not compile wine) but whatever difference that allows the game to run under Linux and not Mac OS remains.

Bummer... I wonder what is the difference between Wine on Linux and Wine on Mac?

I will try various Winetricks as time permits.

#66 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:10 AM

the texp70 patch isnt in wine 1.2 i dont think... doh made me a patched version of wine its in the other GTA IV thread

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#67 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

OK, I think you must be right...  So I guess we'll need a newly built Wine 1.2 with that patch.  I've read a few threads about building custom versions but I don't think I've got the whole process fully understood yet.

Also , is it just me or do Winetricks fail somehow in installation as often as they succeed?

#68 robiox

robiox

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

this is my experience:
- I've tried with crossover games 9 and I can install GTA IV completely as "other application",
- after I've found the game folder on /Users/robiox/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles ,
- I've cracked with nocd razor 1911 crack,
- when I lunch the game it displays the razor window and then it closes and nothing else.

I don't know about porting and other stuff but I try and this time I've installed successfully.

#69 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

roblox, if you forgot to put the xliveless dll in the game directory, that's probably where / when it crashes.

#70 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

the guys over at PlayonLinux have a nice script for there software (its pretty much a nicer wine GUI) that installs GTA IV with the patched wine and gets it working. There is a PlayOnMac but its no where near as cared for as the POL i tried it and i didnt really get anywhere because i had no idea how to add custom Wine builds

#71 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

dafootballer, you are so, so right about PlayonLinux & PlayonMac.

Now I have realized that in my posts I have been mixing & matching the Wineskin project with the CXZ project... mostly because I at some point I have tried everything I could find trying to get GTA IV to work.

Now I'd like to try to get a build with the texp70 patch for both projects... I pm'd Doh123 asking for an updated version.  Who is the right person to query at the CXZ project... or should I just make a new thread over in CXZ Member projects?

#72 Guest_Curryboy_*

Guest_Curryboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Man it would be awesome if this game could be cider ported....

#73 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

Ill try GTA EFLC when i get home, I might have a solution to the playonmac solution atleast, which then someone in the community can "convert" it over to GTA IV.

But, it would be nice for doh to make yet another wine engine from 1.2 with the texp70 patch.

#74 robiox

robiox

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Bhima said:

roblox, if you forgot to put the xliveless dll in the game directory, that's probably where / when it crashes.

Hi,

thanks for replying!

I've put the xlive.dll in the game dir, I've updated the rgsc, I've updated the .net framework to 3.5, directx and other stuff but when i launch gta iv from razor crack, the rgsclauncher.exe report an error and the close the application.

any ideas?

Thanks

#75 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

If the error from rgsclauncher.exe contains "texp70" it's because you are not using version / build of wine that contains the patch to overcome that.

If it is not, you'll have to give us more information to continue.

#76 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

The .NET Framework 3.5 doesnt work properly with Wine, Which gives compatibility problems with alot of games (Xlive needs .NET 3.5)

So unless you can come up with a patch to make .NET 3.5 working properly, your out of luck.

#77 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

BoomBoxCreations said:

The .NET Framework 3.5 doesnt work properly with Wine, Which gives compatibility problems with alot of games (Xlive needs .NET 3.5)

So unless you can come up with a patch to make .NET 3.5 working properly, your out of luck.

That's interesting.  I'm going to assume, based on reports from Linux wine users,  that XLive is the only thing in GTA IV which uses .Net 3.5 and it is replaced by the XLiveless.dll.  However, I'd be very interested in working out a method to determine that GTA IV itself did not require .Net 3.5 for certain.

#78 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Im pretty sure GTA IV itself doesnt need it.

And im not sure of any way of testing it. Not without a whole fresh install of XP SP1 without anything besides DirectX 9. (you run GTA off of an external HDD)

#79 bendystraw

bendystraw

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Would be good if they could. I have browsed all over to try and find one.

#80 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Woops, GTA needs a fresh install of EXp Service Pack 3 at the min. Doesnt support anything before that...

#81 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

BoomBoxCreations said:

Woops, GTA needs a fresh install of EXp Service Pack 3 at the min. Doesnt support anything before that...

Is there some way of wedging the service pack into a wine bottle?  Should I look for a self contained executable and try installing it?

Edit: I can not install SP3 into a wine instance. The Windows Service Pack Installer fails because it can't find a license key

#82 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

what i mean is, to run GTA on XP, it needs a min of XP with SP3 installed.

You dont install it inside the wrapper.

Winetricks already holds the newest service pack number for the version of windows selected.

So if i choose Windows 2000, i get 2000 SP4, if i choose XP, i get XP SP3 and so on.

#83 bendystraw

bendystraw

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Good luck guys. Sadly, although I would love to try porting this, I wouldn't know if it works; I have a GMA X3100 which certainly wont run it. Good luck!

#84 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Remember when you update GTA you also have to update the crack!

Maybe when the 470 drivers are a bit better for Mac ill give it a shot

#85 blargman

blargman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationyou would want to know
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

i think it might be possible now to port this game cos of wine 1.3 since crysis is sort of done
!!!

#86 BoomBox

BoomBox

Champion Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

blargman said:

i think it might be possible now to port this game cos of wine 1.3 since crysis is sort of done

Not quite. The GTA games are quite easy to port, if you can get away from the xlive bit. Crysis on the other hand, Its the game engine itself which gives WINE the shits. If you took away Xlive or added in support for .NET 3.5 (or even 4.0) the games we have on these forums, especially the newer games, would have been done already (with a bit of modification of course) But if the game has .NEt 3.5 currently, no point even trying.

#87 Guest_iTux_*

Guest_iTux_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

i try play game on my new mac book in windows 7 (bootcamp), but it very slowly and low level graphics use ((((
NVIDIA GT320M can't be good deal (

#88 Bhima

Bhima

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Just a quick non-news update... I finally got around to building wine 1.3.0 with the "texp70" patch.  I got as far as dafootballer got months ago... I can hear the lead up audio but the screen is black and that's about it.

I'm using the current Wineskin and the custom engine build scripting.

#89 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

only got one thang and the only thing to say, impossible

#90 gus240

gus240

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

GTA IV is already posted u just need a copy of the game. Can Some1 tell me where the copy is? TY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users