• Create Account

[Article]wip-Mac gaming, is native always better?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#31 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Author

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

I use ControllerMate, it's more complex to use, but it allows for more customization. It's not limited to gamepads only, it works with every HID device, so I can enhance my keyboard & mouse driven games as well.
http://www.orderedby...controllermate/

BTW, great article :D Now I don't have to wonder whether to buy the Mac version of King's Bounty or stick with my Windows version
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#32 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostHiPhish, on 09 May 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I use ControllerMate, it's more complex to use, but it allows for more customization. It's not limited to gamepads only, it works with every HID device, so I can enhance my keyboard & mouse driven games as well.
http://www.orderedby...controllermate/

BTW, great article :D Now I don't have to wonder whether to buy the Mac version of King's Bounty or stick with my Windows version

For now you can safely stick with the PC version in wine. THere are no advantages to the native one.
If you have it on steam like I do, just download and try, might work better on 10.7 or something.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#33 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Nope, retail version. I'm old-fashioned, I prefer retail over digital. Besides, King's Bounty is cheaper in retial :D I even got Armored Princess and the expansion new for less than they would cost me on Steam.
The tricky part with King's Bounty is my graphics card, it's a 9400M, even on Windows I have to run on low details.

#34 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

ControllerMate still can't turn a digital key command into an analog one for analog movement, period full stop*. It doesn't matter how much customization keyboard and mouse emulation software has it can't fabricate data that's not there... and again key command like W A S D are digital and nothing more. Also in Feral's games you can't get any more enhanced than the built in native support for gamepad they have that has full force feedback support which can't be emulated no matter how customizable your input emulation software is.

*You might be able to get it to for example in alan wake if set it to press the walk key (Control)+W A S D for walking below 50% and above it press just W A S D for running. However you can't fake all the degrees of axis in between which are also analog with analog controls. Like when you are walking you can press forward and then left and get an in (Up+Left) between but there is much more gradation in between that's missing there that you would get if you used the built in gamepad support. In other words it's still digital... and at most 8 way. This is what people are missing when they complain about AC2 for example controlling bad with a keyboard and mouse. Having only 8 directions doesn't give you the same kind of steering for your character as true analog movement provides. This is especially apparent during driving like in LA Noire or Mafia II. Although other games like RAGE have pretty good steering when used with keyboard because it's like the steering is dependent on how long you press the key rather than just doing 100% left or right when you press it.

Sure a person can get by with digital movement controls and I do with many games especially FPS games with keyboard and mouse where I insist on playing with keyboard and mouse as well as third person shooters like Max Payne which control a lot like FPS. But that doesn't mean keyboard emulation is a full replacement for proper gamepad controls if you want to play a game with a gamepad no matter what brand of keyboard emulation software you use. ESPECIALLY again if what you are wanting from the gamepad controls is all the gradation of axes for movement speed and direction analog provides. Without that there's not much benefit to analog sticks.

Now that I think of it I mentioned driving in LA Noire and Mafia II and those to benefit from analog since on gamepads like the 360 pad the bottom shoulder buttons are analog triggers. Those too can't be faked with keyboard emulation software as again there's no analog keyboard function to map that to either. So you don't get the same kind of analog gas or brake functions in those games than if you used the built in support.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#35 BLACKNIGHT

BLACKNIGHT

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 860m 2gb
    nVidia 780 ti Gigabyte Windforce 3x edition
    nVidia Titan X Maxwell 3x SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:Racing
    FPS
    RPG/SKYRIM/OBLIVION/fallout NV

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

my borderlands (native) tabs
Posted Image
When life gets You down, Grab it by the Balls
Ports Done- 9
PM me for Port Requests

#36 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Not for me... What's the shortcut?

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#37 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

This may be related to that but I asked about why cmd+tab was disabled in Bioshock 2 multiplayer and they told me it's because of gameranger that it doesn't like people cmd-tabbing out of the game for some reason. If Borderlands shares that behavior that could be why.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#38 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

if i like to make a article about the game blades of time where would i request it at its fun game i like to type about it

#39 julus

julus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon 6750M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:MMORPG, Adventure, RPG, Strategy
Author

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

View Postblinxfrost, on 10 May 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

if i like to make a article about the game blades of time where would i request it at its fun game i like to type about it

1) wrong topic for this question
2) Yes you can make your article but you must post it in nearly perfect english. See the sticky topics in this section for more details.

#40 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postsmoketetsu, on 09 May 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

ControllerMate still can't turn a digital key command into an analog one for analog movement, period full stop*.
Never said that it could. But you could for example do something like this
Posted Image
to select spells from a quick slot bar using WASD and a modifier instead of the mouse. I like to reduce the amount of mouse movement because of my shoulder. I just wanted to throw in another app aside from Gamepad Companion.

#41 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
Author

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Please come to a close with this Article.

Make it so that i can post it on the Front Page, and i'll lock the topic.
If somebody else also wants to make a similar 'rambling' Article that cluthz has made, be my guest. (but follow in cluthz' footsteps)
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#42 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I was planning to finish the article today, but I had some stuff I had to do before I went to work (working late..)
Usually late shifts means less work, but not today, so I've had no time to finish it.
I will tomorrow.

Anyways, we've had some new articles on the front page this week, so I figured it was no rush to make it ready that quickly.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

#43 BLACKNIGHT

BLACKNIGHT

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 860m 2gb
    nVidia 780 ti Gigabyte Windforce 3x edition
    nVidia Titan X Maxwell 3x SLI
  • I like to play:Racing
    FPS
    RPG/SKYRIM/OBLIVION/fallout NV

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostKGameLover1, on 10 May 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

Not for me... What's the shortcut?
CMD+TAB
Posted Image
When life gets You down, Grab it by the Balls
Ports Done- 9
PM me for Port Requests

#44 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

Is this article ready for front page yet?

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#45 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostKGameLover1, on 12 May 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

Is this article ready for front page yet?

Still need to fix a few things. I haven't had the time today

#46 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Oki, I think it should be final now.
Since English isn't my first language, could someone read thru it and correct any grammar and spelling errors?

#47 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nice work.
First 'Review' Article. (hope the yellow badge fits)

Article posted by cluthz on the Front Page.
Topic Closed.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#48 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Could the article be edited?

Information about why Borderlands doesn't tab-out?

Original:

The official version does not have the inventory icon issues and does of course work out of the box. The game however have a few huge flaws. First of, you cannot multi-task while playing. There is no way to go windowed mode, or even tab out of the game, so if your mail needs to be checked, or you wonder who messaged you on Skype, you actually have to shut down the game. Guys at Feral, this is 2012! Behavior like that in games have been gone for many years, at least the ones I play. The home-made cider version can be played in windowed mode, or you can tab out when you like. There is also some v-sync issues reported by some users. Performance otherwise is pretty decent, and a AMD 6750M can play it almost maxed with a few settings downed a bit at a stable 60 FPS. That is about the same kind of performance I get at the home-made version, maybe even a bit better!
The game does however have support for surround sound, which the wrapped doesn't.
(I do not own Borderlands for Mac, and the testing of the mac client have been done by kgamelover1)
Home-made cider version: 7.5/10, Official native version: 8/10

Updated:

The official version does not have the inventory icon issues and does of course work out of the box. The game however have some minor issues, like some v-sync issues reported by some users. There is also no option for windowed mode. Performance otherwise is pretty decent, and a AMD 6750M can play it almost maxed with a few settings downed a bit at a stable 60 FPS. That is about the same kind of performance I get at the home-made version, maybe even a bit better!
The game does however have support for surround sound, which the wrapped doesn't, and several gamepads.
(I do not own Borderlands for Mac, and the testing of the mac client have been done by kgamelover1)
Home-made cider version: 7.5/10, Official native version: 8.5/10

#49 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
Author

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

i have edited it with your changes.

- zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users