• Create Account

Calculus (Math 31) Help! If you want more ports from me, read this!!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 6750M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Shooters, Action-RPG, Some-strategy

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Here's my nice little life story of right now.  It will probably explain why I have not been very active on this site lately...

I'm a Grade 12 student and am really struggling in Calculus.  By struggling I mean almost failing as my average is in the low 50s right now for the course.  I do not consider myself to be good at Math by any means as I found Chemistry 30/Physics 30 too challenging and dropped those as I do not need them for university entrance.  Nevertheless, I have been able to make it through numerous math related courses in the past, like Math 30 however simply do not seem to fully understand the concepts presented in calculus as my mark reflects.

Why I am posting here is because I think that you guys, the Porting Team is the last hope I have. Calculus is extremely important for my life at home right now as I want to have a better relationship with my parents (gets worse by the day now, can't say I blame them much) and would like to improve my self-esteem which has reached a new all time low due to a terrible Calculus mark.  Not to mention that I also apparently will need this level of math at university even though Marketing in no way shape or form requires advanced math.  At this point, I've spoken to just about everyone imaginable to solve this problem, school councillor, teacher, parents, principal and the list goes on.  However, there is one thing I haven't tried...

I have not tried tutoring for Calculus due to a lack of financial resources as my parents have got me a tutor for preparing for another diploma and simply are not going to spend money on yet another tutor.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone on this site who understands math and preferably has completed Calculus is willing to share their knowledge with me via some form of online communication.

I can't promise that I will pay you well.  I'll give you all the money I have in one of my PayPal accounts (it's not much) however what I can promise is that you will feel good.  You'll feel good that you have helped a kid get one step closer to being able to actually make something of his life.

Thanks for spending your time reading this!
Ryan

#2 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

No problem Hrachya!  Thanks for your support!

#3 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

As you know my typing is sometime hard to read but you think i would be good at math your wrong... i am in 10th grade taking Calcus (whoever you spell it i don't really care) and i bare lying getting a B+ in that class. and my methods of understanding it is is so strange my teacher just says do whatever your doing and if its right keep it...
so no help form blinx :( sorry

heres a site  maybe help you --> http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ --> http://www.educatencare.com/

#4 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks blinx!!!  Maybe those sites will help!  (Don't worry about your typing.  It doesn't define who you are.)

#5 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postrynotheking14, on 07 May 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Spoiler
This seems a odd place to be asking for calculus help . I  would help but i have 3 years till i can take that course  .
But, you have 50s in math o_O  and there is only like 1. 5 months left of the schooling year . Don't you think its a bit late to start asking for help?
my suggestion would be take out your textbook and go over your notes . Also you should consider  online teacher like the khan academy : http://www.khanacademy.org/

Also , what part of calculus  don't you understand . Is there a certain concept or equation you don't get ?
--
HM

#6 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

View Postrynotheking14, on 07 May 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

Thanks blinx!!!  Maybe those sites will help!  (Don't worry about your typing.  It doesn't define who you are.)
if you want someone talking to you on Skype saying bring down the the thing move the thingy mc boo left then bring it down all over again carry the flopper left then right (witch causes headaches form my math teach thats ok :) )

if your bad at it why not relate it to something you like doing or put it in life or death situation i not saying dangle yourself over a cliff in tell you get a awnser right :o

#7 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Yea, I know its an odd place however its the one forum that I feel comfortable asking for help.  I know its a bit late, but its not like this is the first time I'm asking for help either.  Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, only the basics are covered by Khan academy and to actually do well in the course you need much more knowledge.

As for understanding.  I understand more than my marks show (isn't that always the case) but yea there are a couple things that are getting to me for example maximums and minimums the calculus way.  Not the graphing calculator way.

#8 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

View Postrynotheking14, on 07 May 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Yea, I know its an odd place however its the one forum that I feel comfortable asking for help.  I know its a bit late, but its not like this is the first time I'm asking for help either.  Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, only the basics are covered by Khan academy and to actually do well in the course you need much more knowledge.

As for understanding.  I understand more than my marks show (isn't that always the case) but yea there are a couple things that are getting to me for example maximums and minimums the calculus way.  Not the graphing calculator way.
if you understand more then your marks show. Then its probably not the knowledge part you are lacking in .
Remember that work is marked in 4 sections . Knowledge & understanding , Application , Communication , & thinking .
you are probably messing up in one of those sections and thats what pulling you down.
Most likely  its communication and how you present you work and knowledge .
also what province do you live in ?
--
HM

#9 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

alberta. you?

#10 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postrynotheking14, on 07 May 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

alberta. you?
Ontario
--
HM

#11 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

its probably beginner or basic calculus.  its apparently like first year university.  That would probably be for second year or third.

but thanks!  ill be sure to download the beginner version!!!

#12 Alsey Coleman Miller

Alsey Coleman Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPeru
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia 9400M
  • I like to play:Halo, Left 4 Dead 2

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Wow everybody's in Highschool including myself. Great. Oh. sorry can't help Im on vacations here in South America and i suck at math.

#13 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

Khan Academy is a useful site for me, I won't be taking Calculus (at all, I suck at maths, unless for some reason next year in college I try it :P)
Googling "calculus help" turned up some good sites.

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#14 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB w/ Intel HD 4000 384MB (GTX 670 2GB on Hackintosh)
  • I like to play:http://steamcommunity.com/id/jman3350/games/?tab=all
    If you have any suggestions, let me know :D

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Can you post some of the stuff you are having trouble with? I'm not taking calculus, only algebra 2 (2 years away from calculus) but i still might be able to help as my sister would teach me some :)
Posted Image

#15 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB w/ Intel HD 4000 384MB (GTX 670 2GB on Hackintosh)
  • I like to play:http://steamcommunity.com/id/jman3350/games/?tab=all
    If you have any suggestions, let me know :D

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

Also, I found this website a while ago, that you can type almost anything into and it gives you information. I used it to look up topics, but then i started using it for math questions. You just type the equation in, and it shows you how to do it, step by step! http://www.wolframalpha.com/
Posted Image

#16 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostAlsey Coleman Miller, on 08 May 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

Wow everybody's in Highschool including myself. Great. Oh. sorry can't help Im on vacations here in South America and i suck at math.
Oh here in Canada we , don't go on vacation till june 27th :(
but that gives me time to improve my average :)
stupid Gym brining my average down :angry:
--
HM

#17 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

stupid Gym brining my average down

lol i think gym is bringing my average up big time

edit: just ran a 1k in 3:45

best in the entire phys ed 10/20/30 class :)

#18 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

I'm having trouble with math myself :P
And I'm younger than you.
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#19 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Author

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm not faliliar with these English terms, so could you please explain what you mean by "Calculus"? For example I know that the word Algebra in English is alo applied to school stuff while here it refers to actual algebra, the kind of algebra you do at University.

I'm a professional math tutor for students at school, but I wouldn't like to go beyond my qualifications, especially when it's over the internet, that's why I'm asking.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#20 julus

julus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon 6750M
  • I like to play:MMORPG, Adventure, RPG, Strategy
Author

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostHiPhish, on 08 May 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

I'm not faliliar with these English terms, so could you please explain what you mean by "Calculus"? For example I know that the word Algebra in English is alo applied to school stuff while here it refers to actual algebra, the kind of algebra you do at University.

I'm a professional math tutor for students at school, but I wouldn't like to go beyond my qualifications, especially when it's over the internet, that's why I'm asking.

integration, derivation, limits, vectors and this kind of math. In my country learnt at college or electrotechnical high-schools (secondary schools).

#21 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Postrynotheking14, on 07 May 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

DO u have to make a complete curve sketching and that stuff?
I'm not totally sure, but maybe I could help you a little bit. I wasn't that great in math, but at least I finished math successful in high school :).

Posted Image

#22 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Author

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, but what kinds of integration, derivation, limits... like just the standard Riemann integration or Lebesgue integration or what? Maybe if I knew his age or if he simply posted a few problems.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#23 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostHiPhish, on 08 May 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yeah, but what kinds of integration, derivation, limits... like just the standard Riemann integration or Lebesgue integration or what? Maybe if I knew his age or if he simply posted a few problems.

yeah, some problems would be great ^^ Then we could see if we could help you ryno

Posted Image

#24 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostHrachya, on 08 May 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Wait... RYNO! I already told you, use Nigma.ru. Just type in a random problem and it will show you the steps! Have you checked that website?

http://www.wolframalpha.com
this is also a nice page for math problems

Posted Image

#25 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Guess I'm out of the norm since I'm far removed from high school and university. (Took Calculus at both levels)

Are you able to post a link to the Calculus book you are currently using?

In grade 13 I had problems with Calculus also. My first year university Calculus course covered the same material in the first half and it was much easier.
The difference was the course book used. The high school book was terribly outdated and made the concepts harder to understand.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#26 nintendotoad

nintendotoad

Champion Member

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Location/tmp
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 580 GTX

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

What is the exact name of your Calculus course, ryno? (Calculus 16B? AB Calculus?)
PortingNetwork now lurks in the shadows... among us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users