10 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Besides the things that are already planned for the Nexus Pages, do you have something you would like to see on the PDB Nexus / My Nexus Pages?

Also you can use this topic to discuss other things related to the Nexus here.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have an idea. is it possible to implement another viewing style? I would love to have such a cover flow like in iTunes.

Posted Image

#3 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

View Postcybershark, on 20 May 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

I have an idea. is it possible to implement another viewing style? I would love to have such a cover flow like in iTunes.

Something like this?
http://www.jacksasylum.eu/ContentFlow/

iinteresting. contentflow seems lightweight enough, this could also have different implementations here, like embedding your ports in a iFrame with coverflow for example, besides the Nexus layout

edit: syao, that page is pure gold :D
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#4 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

yeah, that's the way I whited to present my port :P

Posted Image

#5 syao

syao

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Net, Vast and Infinite
  • Graphics Card:[MacBook 13 - Intel GMA950] [iMac 27 - ATI Radeon HD4850] [MacBook Pro 13 - Intel HD3000]
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hmm, interesting animations... not fond of that kind of animation on websites, but it's pretty nice looking.

I could consider adding it as an alternative look later (and put a pref somewhere in the user's profile), if you come up with a page layout to display all the info.

Posted Image
This ███ will be left blank in sign of protest █████ internet censorship.

#6 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core
  • Graphics Card:The one that in my machine :)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:All games that doesn't bored me to death.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I got an idea here how about some achievements here, it be fun for people to get trophies. I got a whole list of what types too. :)

Edit: This post is moved to another location.
Time Paradox \/---- By 0(-----------)

#7 Blane

Blane

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHerakleion, Crete, Greece
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • I like to play:Counter-Strike. So much in love with this game!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well, a good thought I think!

A public page with a search bar where you can type your game title and instantly view results (like google's search bar). This can be easily developed. I could do this too. That way visitors will be able to see exactly how their favorite game is ported to the mac and register to the forums... :)

#8 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostHrachya, on 24 July 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

We already have a search bar, but the limitations make it impossible to search for something.
and what limitations would that be, the 3 character min limit for words?
just don't use 'of' or 'to' in the search.

- zero

#9 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostHrachya, on 24 July 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Yes that, may I know why do we have those limits?
this was talked about last time in detail.
fewer characters means:
more words to index
more strain on the site/database
slower site/search results
less specific search results

This is why the search results on most systems ignore or don't like input of words with less than 3 or 4 characters.
indexing ' i ' or ' a ' or ' of ' or ' the'  leads to search results that aren't even related to things you searched for.
It would be great to tell the system to just ignore words with less than 4 characters so that you don't get the 'too few characters' error message, but the system does not have that.
I already lowered the character amount last time this was discussed from 4 to 3 minimum characters, and the amount of (useless) indexed words has gone up immensely.

- zero

#10 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postdevilhunter, on 25 July 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

this was talked about last time in detail.
fewer characters means:
more words to index
more strain on the site/database
slower site/search results
less specific search results

This is why the search results on most systems ignore or don't like input of words with less than 3 or 4 characters.
indexing ' i ' or ' a ' or ' of ' or ' the'  leads to search results that aren't even related to things you searched for.
It would be great to tell the system to just ignore words with less than 4 characters so that you don't get the 'too few characters' error message, but the system does not have that.
I already lowered the character amount last time this was discussed from 4 to 3 minimum characters, and the amount of (useless) indexed words has gone up immensely.
why doesn't the forums/database just use Google custom search instead . Like i am pretty sure there is a plugin that allows you to integrate that into the site .
The current search engine is horrible . There have been many situations where people have ported games that already have been ported because the search engine failed to display the game they seeked :P
--
HM

#11 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 25 July 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

why doesn't the forums/database just use Google custom search instead . Like i am pretty sure there is a plugin that allows you to integrate that into the site .
The current search engine is horrible . There have been many situations where people have ported games that already have been ported because the search engine failed to display the game they seeked :P
Examples of games that can't be found via the search?

What sometimes people do is while in the forums, they search for a game, and then only the topics for that game show up, no ports.
You have go go over to the PDB and search there for the game to find it, or click the button in the search field to pick the place you want to search, forums, tutorials, port database.
Getting all results from all modules mixed together would be less than optimal, google' search would be far worse. (plus google can't index everything here, as some things are permission based.)
Only sites that have no search or a very primitive implementation use google search.

- zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users