fallout new vegas modding on mac?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 uberlux

uberlux

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850 (i dont no my graphics card.)
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostAt4r4xis, on 02 June 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

i am a novice, im not much of a mac user but am trying my damnedest. at the least, could you repost some general instructions for my situation. I'm not trying to mod anything, just open everything normally so i can sleep tonight

Righto, i was unable to open new vegas on my mac for freakin ages and really it isnt tutorials your looking for, most of it you just pickup on practise. Be prepared to fail, you'll have times where you need to re-download and such.
First you need a version of the game (i recommend just searching fallout new vegas on the pirate bay, the skidrow one is good.)
the file size should be between 5-12 gb. this file when downloaded should come in either a folder with contents or a zip. (also the unarchiver). then usually un-zipping will come out as a mac app like thing, or the folder will have an app in it. Now you need to drag this app to your applications, you could copy paste it there so if you stuff something up you can keep a fresh one on your desktop. The whole directory to editing files to fallout new vegas is by right clicking, then selecting show contents. If you have ever modded minecraft this is just like that, except the files you need aren't in application support, they are in the actual apps contents.
Now there inside will be a couple of folders and a thing called wineskin. Now run wineskin and it will come up with a menu i at first found confusing with wineskin first i want you do go set screen options, set wine control to override, then the rootless mode to fullscreen. The rest of options you may set to your own pleasure. Head back to the wineskin menu. So basically wineskin is used to make things windows ---> work on mac, like .exe files. I found i could get the whole game running without wineskin sometimes, but what you want to do is go advanced> browse in the windows exe section (the top of advanced under configuration) > while browsing it should start in drive_c if it doesnt then select drive_c> program files> bethesda softworks> fallout new vegas> then in here will be two exe files if you look closely, one will be falloutNV.exe and the other will be falloutNVlauncher.exe. the difference is, if you choose the non launcher one when clicking the app it will just open directly to the game, so no launched sub-menu will appear. If you choose launcher, before the game starts up, it will come up with a launcher, this is the section modders choose because it enables you to setup mods (which im still learning to do, ive had a few problems with keeping the mods ticked). So pick which ever exe file there out of the two, i do just recommend the launcher one, because it benefits most. However if your just sick of all this setup then go for the falloutNV.exe. basically wineskin will now save that file as the kinda thing that runs this. (dont ask me how) and it should be working. so just go to your applications and the fallout new vegas will be there around all your apps starting with F. Unless you didnt drag it there before like i told you to. just launch the application via double clicking/open no need to show contents and if you used the falloutNV.exe it will open to the games main menu directly, if you have the falloutnvlauncher.exe it will come up with the launcher, all you have to do is click the big shiny PLAY button and it will open the game.

Just like to mention, im not trying to be a big time tutorial guy or take anyones position here, im sure my post above has flaws and i dont really need to be aware of them. so i guess you can criticise anything ive said all you want, but im just posting what i would have wanted to see when i was first setting up FONV. I dont plan on making tutorials or anything. so peace.

- Angus

#32 uberlux

uberlux

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850 (i dont no my graphics card.)
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostGameGuy, on 31 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

go into the wrapper and run wineskin. From there go to advanced and look for the exe directory and change it to falloutnvlauncher.exe Then when you launch the wrapper there will be a launcher that will allow you to select the data tab and manage mods. If I remember correctly doesn't the wrapper come with fomm installed? Link to the wrapper your using would help.

Im on skidrow using a skidrow based crack from TPB. i have the game working fine, ive edited the files and am decent familiar with how this works. Thanks for the explanation on getting the launcher to work (you were like 10 seconds too late i discovered it through experimenting how to do it mayself, but thankyou alot anyway!) I have what the inetenet calls a common problem, the launcher ticking problem. I use wineskin on my fallout, but i didnt use it for modding. First i got the mod files and dragged them to date, it sits there with my DLC. Now ive checked compatibility and they should work, upon loading the launcher it even says my DLC is unticked and attempting to tick all DLC and Mods it just refuses to load them. (DLC still works because they had their own nam files included.) I read your post abo0ut making text edit files and naming them .nam i did this by completely replicating my mod names and just called it modsname.nam (ofc modsname is just a subsitiute.) so then i attempted loading the game ignoring the launcher poop just hitting play. still didnt load them... ive even looked up something about changing the plugin.txt file thing, that didnt work, what am i doing wrong? I placed the nam files you told me about in the data section. Do i need to tick them in launcher aswell?
Should i add them to the game using wineskin or something? but i dont really see how that would make a difference. They are still there. the launcher successfully can see them, just not load them.

And ofc it unticks them, im going to try a few alternitive tricks while i wait on your reply. ('which i really hope you do ;)')
Im going to try type the nam files in completely cappitals as thats what the DLC has set. (eg: OLDWORLDBLUES.NAM)
Also, could i have made a mistake by just physically naming them mods.nam ? because the nam part i just typed? perhaps i need to save it as one in text edit or whatever?

Anyway i hope you can highlight a really obvious mistake of mine, that would be the best outcome :)

- Angus

[update]
Im now opening previous nam folders in text edit and typing them out that way and saving as to override my non working nam folders, i think im onto something here... ill post here to say how it goes.

[update 2]
It worked great! thats exactly what i needed to do and im now surfing the wastes with ultimate pleasure! thanks alot to gameguy who spends alot of his good time helping everyone out! he sure as hell helped me out alot. And ofc the porting team, you guys are legends!

#33 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Glad you got it working.

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#34 eQxMaSTerZ

eQxMaSTerZ

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:4000
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

im also new to fallout nv on mac and don't really know how to mod i install the mod and put all the files in the right places and check the box in the launcher and then when i play it the mod is not there but i did install the unlimited companions mod and that worked because it was one file so it was easy but the other mods aren't there if someone could help me i would be happy one of the mods I'm trying to install is the M4Oa5 mod would appreciate it if someone could help me thx

#35 silvergator

silvergator

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PosteQxMaSTerZ, on 03 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

im also new to fallout nv on mac and don't really know how to mod i install the mod and put all the files in the right places and check the box in the launcher and then when i play it the mod is not there but i did install the unlimited companions mod and that worked because it was one file so it was easy but the other mods aren't there if someone could help me i would be happy one of the mods I'm trying to install is the M4Oa5 mod would appreciate it if someone could help me thx
DId you ever get it working? Go back to page 1 of this thread and read my instructions near the bottom of the page. I was having a similar problem where a single mod would work but the rest wouldn't.

#36 Everett3Davis

Everett3Davis

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostGameGuy, on 29 May 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Installing mods for the mac port in the same as on windows (not all mods will work but that should be easy to decipher). Mods are install usually by dropping the contents of the mod into the data folder of the fallout new vegas folder. If its a wineskin wrapper you right click the wrapper and select show package contents and make your way to <drive_c/ Program Files/ Fall out new vegas/ data> and drop the contents of the mod in there and activate the esp in the launcher. If you can't activate it with the launcher you can create a normal text document and all it "Same title as mod.nam". In the text file you can just put the name of the mod or a simple shortened version of the mod and save it. This file should load the esp automatically on game startup. Installing mods in a cider wrapper should be the same just right click show package contents and locate the data folder again in <contents/ resources/ transgaming/ c_drive/ Program files/ Fallout new vegas/ data/> and create that nam file.

Ok sorry to reopen this forum but I would really love some help, I have all of the DLC for NV in RAR files which i have used Unrar. And gotten a .esm, .NAM, .bsa, and another .bsa for each DLC. Which i put in their own folder, then I put the folders into: drive_c/Programfiles/NewVegas/Data. I have also added each .esm (ex: Lonesomeroad.esm) to the plugins.text. Yet there are not even boxes that appear in the data files section of the wine launcher! Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for the Help!

#37 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1255 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Graphics Card:Intel Iris Plus
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:stories

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

You mean the fallout NV launcher? I think it was supposed to put the .esm files into the plugins.text by itself.

Also, you could try taking them out of their own folders and put the files straight into the NewVegas/data/ folder

#38 Everett3Davis

Everett3Davis

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

The Folders were the problem! Thanks!....i have never played these DLC's before though so im not sure if they actually installed. I checked the boxes though so hopefully their in there.

#39 chargia

chargia

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi all,

I expect you wanted to put this one to bed a while ago but I'm looking for one more tiny morsel of advice:

Can anyone tell me how to use the wrapper in conjunction with a disc copy of Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition?

I'm guessing the procedure is largely the same however I'm not sure exactly what to do...

Any help would be much appreciated!

#40 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1255 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

One makes a wrapper (or downloads one), then installs the game into the wrapper just like any on ordinary Windows computer.

Does that help, or were you looking for something more specific?

#41 samhe29

samhe29

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Hey, so I've read through this thread in detail and can't find the answer to my question. I'm trying to add DLC to FNV and I've completed all the steps recommended here but the game won't load it. I've loaded FNV in the launcher and ticked all the boxes, added the .esm .bsa. and .NAM files to my data folder. And i've added all the names to the plugins.txt file. The DLC is recognized in the launcher and even in the Downloadable Content portion of the actual game menu but nothing loads in-game. Anybody have anything else I could do?

#42 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1255 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Are you sure that the DLC files are good? If they come from an untrusted source, they might not be. For anything else, do a test run (in the wrapper, from the 'advanced' section), and post the Wine log. That might give clues...

#43 samhe29

samhe29

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I downloaded the DLC files seperately from the game so that might be it. I did a test run and here is the Wine Log:

R)
z (XRandR)

race:x11settings:X11DRV_Settings_AddOneMode initialized mode 17: 640x480x8 @60 Hz (XRandR)

)
)

err:wincodecs:IcnsEncoder_CreateInstance Trying to save ICNS picture, but ICNS support is not compiled in.
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {00000103-a8f2-4877-ba0a-fd2b6645fb94} of class {312fb6f1-b767-409d-8a6d-0fc154d4f05c}, hres is 0x80004005
err:menubuilder:convert_to_native_icon error 0x80004005 creating bitmap encoder
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f850,0x00000000), stub!

fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)

fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4d0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ebc0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ec20,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x1) : stub
fixme:xinput:XInputGetState (0 0x33fa78)
fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,0)-(1280,800)

err:avicap:query_video_device Video 4 Linux support not enabled
fixme:msacm:acmFormatEnumW Unsupported fdwEnum values 00100000

fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!

fixme:d3d:state_zfunc D3DCMP_NOTEQUAL and D3DCMP_EQUAL do not work correctly yet.

fixme:msacm:acmFormatEnumW Unsupported fdwEnum values 00100000

Eyefinity configuration query failed for display index 0.

#44 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1255 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hm.. What wrapper and engine version are you using?

#45 samhe29

samhe29

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.5.12
Engine: WS8Beta3
When I go to the Change Engine used function of Wineskin Advanced settings it allows me to change to WS9Wine1.7.10. Should I change to this engine?

#46 ovvldc

ovvldc

Master Member

• Members
  • 1255 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Maybe, but that is a development version. If that doesn't work, you could also open the Winery and download another engine or two. A recent CX engine (CX12.X or CX13.X) would be worth a shot, or try Wine1.4.1

The WS8Beta3 is definitely old and nonstandard. I presume you downloaded this wrapper somewhere? That would have been useful to mention earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users